CrazyBoards.org

what should our tx goal be?

is it total remission of depressive/manic sxs? is it stability? or should we settle with feeling 70 80 90 percent better?

i'm going to a pdoc appt later, and the cocktail im on is working, im gonna say its helped me get to 70% stabiity. do we continue to tweak meds until we get to 100%? is 100% even possible?

this is my first appointment where i don't have any complaints about meds. i only had one mixed episode in two weeks, and it only lasted an hour (i took an extra 5 mg of zyprexa). i've gone to varius support groups, went to the library, ran errands. i feel like im almost there... i feel semi-normal...

sorry for the disorganized post. replies are most welcome.

In a historic move sometime in the last decade, the APA stated that the goal of treatment for Bipolar disorder is "complete remission" of symptoms and the most normal life possible.

As wonderful as our meds are, they cannot guarantee that we won't have break through episodes. They do however decrease the frequency and severity of the episodes.

I think there is no standard outcome. It seems we have members who have struggled for decades without success, and others who suffer the worst break down, yet after one or two meds are back to their normal selves. You have a team with your psychiatrist and therapist and it is up to you as a group to continually work to develop the best outcome for you.

There are many new meds in development that will work in novel ways with expectations of better results and fewer side effects, so I have every hope for the future.

a.m.

The treatment goal for bipolar disorder is usually phrased in terms of a reduction in frequency, length, and severity of episodes. It varies person to person to what degree this can be accomplished. For some people, there might never be another episode again. Most people continue to have some episodes but they are more manageable.

If your symptoms are more chronic than episodic, a goal might be to return to how you functioned and how you felt before the onset of your illness. But that is not always achievable either (although it sometimes is.)

Archived