CrazyBoards.org

I am at my wit's end. I am hungry ALL THE TIME. It doesn't matter if I just ATE, I am still hungry. It's like this little tiny line of anxiety/hunger that is in the back of my brain all the time.

I have put on something like 50 lbs on Seroquel. I am obese. I am fatter than I have ever been in my life. I also find it very hard to lose weight. I've been on South Beach and on low carb. I lost 40 lbs, but then I gained it all back and then some. I can't stop eating. Exercise doesn't seem to help. Nothing seems to help. That initial 40 lbs lost was due to starting a diabetes med.. but now it has no effect on weight loss.

I went on South Beach for the 1st 2 weeks, the strictest phase, where you are supposed to lose 8-14 lbs in 2 weeks. I stuck to it rigorously AND I exercised. In 2 weeks of torture, I lost only 3, count 'em, 3 stinkin' pounds.

Is there a MED that will help me with this? My pdoc suggested Topomax,but I know that makes people have a lot of trouble with word finding. I alraedy have trouble with word finding, so......... eh. I'm not sure.

Any success stories out there?

Otherwise, I might have to become a sumo wrestler.

I am sorry you are having this trouble. This sounds exactly like me except I gained 20 stubborn lbs..I couldn't stop eating..the hunger was insatiable. Doc put me on topomax and I have had good luck with it. I cut 10 lbs right away. I do not have the run away hunger anymore. You can always quit if it makes you feel stupid but it may be worth a shot.

Best of Luck!!

• 2 months later...

It took about two weeks.

It was awesome, and then I kept losing about another 5 lbs.

then that was it. Ask your doc more questions about it until you feel comfortable.

Topamax is great...it helped me lose and keep weight off and worked well w/my AD's. Made me stupid as anything..I felt like I was getting alzheimers as I could never think of a name or the right word! I had to stop taking it for vision problems it gave me and now I've gained so much weight. Is there anything else out there like Topamax that isn't adderall or vyvance?

Supposedly Metformin (a diabetes medication) has some positive effects. Jim Phelps talks about it on psycheducation.org, but there is some controversy surrounding it. It didn't work for me. I finally stopped taking it. Because of my heath issues at the time, I needed to lose the weight fast, so I had a gastric bypass, not that I'm recommending that route. I'll never take Seroquel again, that's for sure.

I've been on metformin (Glucophage) for about 15 years now and it seems completely weight neutral for me, although it does help some people lose weight. I have weighed everywhere from 220 pounds to 420 pounds while on it.

Tommy

Archived