CrazyBoards.org

Lexapro for BP Depression

I was prescribed 5mg Lexapro by the pdoc. I took celexa previously and didn't help much in the depression department. I'm afraid that it might induce mania, which I experienced when taking Remeron. Has anybody with BP ever taken Lex and how did you tolerate it?

Carmex,

I don't have any experience with Lexapro, unfortunately.

What are the early warning signs that you are getting manic, and what do you do the calm yourself down? If your fear is mania, then it makes sense to know what to look out for and what to do if you do get manic. I assume that your pdoc feels it is fairly risk free to prescribe it, or the benefits will outweigh the risks. I am curious as to why you didn't raise your fear about mania with the pdoc?

My first sxs are brain squirrels or head noise, then anger. If celexa and lexapro are similar, then i shouldnt be concerned about mania, as i was able to tolerate 20 mg of celexa without difficulty. at 40 mg celexa though, i had some trouble with breakthrough mania. pdoc said i should be fine on the lexapro, but take half a pill first and see if that works.

He said lexapro was more specific with regards to hitting the serotonin receptors, so i should have a better response to it than celexa. btw i'm taking it in conjunction with 20mg of zyprexa.

I failed on Zoloft and Pexeva because those 2 SSRIs gave me mania (Pexeva worse than Zoloft). But I've been able to tolerate Lexapro for over a year now and it's been smooth sailing since I've started Lexapro. It's helped with the depression for well over a year. I'm on 20mg and have been at that dosage also for over a year.

Archived