CrazyBoards.org

depression causing lost memories, time

Hi there everyone,

I've been lurking here for a few months trying to pull myself out of the worst depressive/psychotic episode I've experienced in quite awhile. I've slowly managed to get better through therapy, medications, and eating way too much ice cream. Suicidal ideation is down to a minimum these days but I'm still struggling with cognitive problems, concentration, lack of energy and focus. All obvious symptoms of depression. One thing I've been quite anxious about though is the feeling that past events/memories don't belong to me or seem so distant like they happened in another world or place or something. It's hard to describe.. I'll read the news and it all seems so foreign or distant. Like a dream maybe. I don't know I was just wondering if any of you have had this other worldly like feeling while depressed. Not only is my short term memory non existent, sometimes long term memories don't feel like my own.

TN

Yes, I know what that's like. It's frustrating and disturbing while it is happening. Those too are symptoms of depression. When the depression lifts, those perceptions go away. Your memory and cognitive functioning will return to normal. It might not seem like it now, but you will be yourself again. Keep working with your therapist, pdoc, and focusing on healthy activities like exercise and eating well. Recovery will happen. It just might take some time.

yes, that weird dissociative fog. it was awful. it was like my brain was wrapped in cotton batting. even sounds and other sensory input felt far away.

i freaked out when i was very depressed the last time because i couldn't remember anything. i still don't remember much of that time. it was terrifying then, but it's gotten a lot better as the depression lifted.

stacia's advice is right on.

Thanks so much for the encouraging words Stacia and susanb. My inability to process anything and retain it is severely stressing me out. I recently moved out to a new state 5 months ago to start my career and can't remember what I did yesterday or what movie I watched 3 nights ago nevermind get anywhere on a research project. I have gone through this before and came out on the other end with my brain intact but I was then 23 and had the support of great friends. Right now all I've got for support is a therapist and an angry cat. It's hard to keep a positive outlook in this state but I'm trying. Anyhow, thanks again guys it means a lot.

Archived