CrazyBoards.org

There are medications that can be tried for akathisia. They are labeled anticholenergics. 2 such medications are Cogentin and Artane. When I took Abilify I use to take Cogentin 1mg twice daily to help with the akathisia. It wasn't a complete answer but it helped.

It's my understanding that you're running the risk of akasthisia with any of the AAPs, so it's sort of a crapshoot. In my experience, I've had akasthisia on both Geodon and Abilify, not on Seroquel or Zyprexa, which messed me all up in a different way. Good luck to you.

You said you need mood stabilization. If the lamictal isn't doing the trick, why not another mood stablizer like depakote or topamax? Cogentin or propranolol/inderal can help with the akathesia. However, maybe you ought to shy away from the antipsychotics since you are sensitive to them. I took .25 mg of risperdal once and had such a bad reaction I had to go to the ER. I just don't mess with that stuff anymore.

abilify made me go up the wall manic and crazy with akathesia. I get akathisia on Haloperidol (constant need to be moving and leg jiggling) but not on olanzapine. The only effect I get from 25mgs Olanzapine is massive hunger, no sedation or akathisia orr anything. I take procyclidine 3 times a day for akathisia from the Haloperidol and I'm only on a baby dose.

blackbird x

Archived