CrazyBoards.org

Long term prozac use?

I've been on prozac for about ten years now and it's worked wonders for me. However I always worry about the long term effects because I've never really found any information about people who've been on it for years and years. I started out on 20mg and just recently moved up to 60mg. I'm worried that the 60 will someday stop working for me. Is there a higher dose you can safely take? For some reason I always thought 60 was the highest.

Has anyone else been on prozac or something else for a very long time? If so how has it been for you? Are there any big negatives to sticking to that med for you? For me like I said prozac is all that's ever worked so it scares me to think that someday I may need to find something else. Or do these drugs ever lose their effect on us?

hi pengworm,

Back in the day (1990s), I took prozac for 12 years. At the end, I was taking 80 mg/day. Then it crapped out. My pdoc at the time said it was a fairly common phenomena. But he also said some people can continue on it for years and years and still experience benefits.

I didn't have any negative effects, that I know of. I was quite happy with it until it stopped working.

Try not to worry about it crapping out. Even if it does, your pdoc can find plenty of other ADs to try.

Hope this helps.

Peace,

Phoenix

Prozac recommended maximum dosage is 80mg, from the manufacturer.

It's been available since about 1988, 20 years, so even 10 years experience is a pretty long time in comparison to many other psych meds. There are no special problems with long term use.

Don't worry, be happy.

a.m. ;)

• 2 months later...

I have taken Prozac at varying doses from 20mg to 60mg for four years now and far prefer it to Paxil (the only other AD I have ever been on). However, the p-doc blames 60mg for making me manic, so if you have BP issues you might want to watch out at the higher doses, but I won't be parted from my Prozac and I am finding considerable problems at a lowered 40mg dose -extreme OCD and erotomania (I like the libido squelching properties of Prozac - expect to have no libido whatsoever at 60mgs)

blackbird x

Archived