CrazyBoards.org

Is this possible?

Guest Guest_Jane_*

Guest Guest_Jane_*

Hi all,

So I've had depression for years and years but my moods tend to vary which is possibly indicative of Bipolar, but not enough so to give me a diagnosis-- I'm one of those "NOS" people. ;)

Anyway, after I started a new med a few years ago (unfortunately I don't remember which one), I'm pretty sure I started seeing the silhouettes of cats appear to be sitting in the living room in different colors. I think I saw that once or twice, and I say "think" because sometimes I tell myself that it was just my imagination getting carried away- like I created the image on purpose instead of them just randomly appearing, if that makes sense.

I haven't seen them sense, though I have switched meds.

And I have a slight memory of having heard something in my head around that year- and then had my name whispered to me while I was relaxing. Then I was lying in bed, with my mind busy and not really wandering- that happened again and my thoughts were interrupted by the exact same whisper.

So the first episodes I discussed once with the doc at a psych ward I was in, and she said sometimes those can even happen if you're struggling with severe depression- you don't have to be schizophrenic or disassociative to experience voices/sights. So has anyway had a similar experience to this simply from depression, or happens to know if this isn't a rarity?

Thanks for reading.

The lying in bed one could be a hypnogogic hallucination, a hallucination that happens in the stages between being asleep and awake, and they are common in all people. I have had depression with psychotic experiences in the past, and it is possible to hallucinate even if you're not depressed, tiredness, hunger, exertion and some med reactions can all produce hallucinations in the otherwise mentally healthy.

If these were isolated episodes that didn't interfere with your functioning, then they are not a problem.

Absolutely agree so far.

To put a fine point on your pdoc's comment though, hallucinations are NOT part of depression, if they occur then there is another cause or diagnosis. If you have a Mood Disorder NOS dx, then strictly speaking you are not depressive, which then makes any hallucinations more logical.

Hypnogogic/hypnopompic 'hallucinations' are absolutely common across the normal population and just reflect the transition between awake/asleep.

Many of our meds can cause visual disturbances like shadows, things seen out of the corner of the eye. I've had this on Paxil, Lithium and Lamictal, they seemed worse when I was in a bad state.

Don't let things freak you out. Keep an open line with your pdoc and keep her advised of any occurences. If you are unsure if something is real then "reality check" by asking a family member or friend to confirm what you are seeing.

best, a.m.

Psychotic symptoms can occur solely from depression. That's why the DSM has a "major depression with psychotic features" code. This includes hallucinations, potentially, although that is very rare (psychotic depression usually means delusional depression.)

However, I just said that for informational purposes -- in your case, Jane, I don't think that's what's going on. It sounds like your symptoms are not part of any disease process at all. Hearing your name called, in particular, is so common that it is almost never considered a psychiatric symptom.

I agree with Sorrell. Delirium from an infection or high fever can also cause hallucinations but it doesn't sound like you were sick.

Just to expand on all of the valid points above-

High electro magnetic field energy from electronics can also cause you to see "shadows" out of the corner of your eye while awake. So can a myriad of medical conditions including migraines and seizure disorders.

Hearing voices while falling asleep is akin to hearing a door slam on the verge of sleep. Perfectly normal.

Of course, if you are into paranormal beliefs, there are other explanations for your experiences as well.

Keep your psychiatrist up to date... ;)

Susan you are extremely eloquent in making the point I wished to make. ;)

My limping brain analogy that I must get out of my head since I can't allow it to stay inside overnite:

Xmas psych dinner choice: Mashed potatoes, or Mashed potatoes (depression) with gravy (psychosis/hallucinations).

- You choose Mashed potatoes with gravy.

- Does the gravy come from the mashed potatoes?

We don't know whats going on in the kitchen, but the two seem associated, though logically we know that gravy and mash are separately distinguishable items and don't resemble each other and we can order either one separately as well. The mashed potatoes are more substantive, are more common, ordered by more people and deserve the most attention. Gravy can go with a lot of other things like dressing, toast, turkey etc. but not too many people sit down and order "and gravy" by itself (not to be confused with the desert items Wavy Gravy [psychosis/sz], Flat Gravy and Disorganized Gravy ).

a.m. Merry Xmas!

Archived