CrazyBoards.org

I've been meaning to get back into meditating for a long time. I used to meditate regularly and it was helpful for a long time, although eventually it wasn't enough by itself and I fell out of meditating when my life kind of fell apart.

So I am starting a meditation club. Here's how it works:

1) Sign up on this thread to participate.

2) Pick a target number of minutes - I'm aiming for five but if that's too much or you're new to meditating you might want to start with 1 or 3.

3) Set a timer for that many minutes and meditate whatever style you prefer. I like to sit with my eyes closed and breathe in for a count of 4 and out for a count of 4 and try to empty my mind.

4) Post your success.

5) When you log onto CB the next day and see this thread, think "oops, I meant to meditate" or something of that nature and repeat #3.

Anybody up for it?

I did 5 minutes today.

I have trouble not multi-tasking when I meditate. When I shut my eyes and slow down, I become aware of how stiff and achey my body is in various places and then I want to stretch, and then I'm paying attention to that instead of meditating. It works a lot better when I'm only doing one thing at a time and I should really do the stretching separately...

I usually meditate most days anyway, but I am signing up for this.

I focus on my breath. I just notice it, not change it in any way, but just notice it. Sometimes I count inhalations or exhalations up to ten and then repeat, if I need some focus. That or I do an activity meditation, such as focusing intently on the washing up, or eating a meal, or something mundane like that.

I've never meditated with any success as I have trouble shutting my mind off. I'm going to give it another try with you all. Karuna mentioned some good focus ideas. Will start with 1 minute this morning.

Thanks!

Gracie

I've been away from internet so not checking in but I did manage to meditate briefly yesterday and today.

I really wish I could motivate myself to get out of bed before the last minute. I'd really like to meditate and do some other stuff before leaving for work.

Me! I'll sign up for 5 minutes a day

Every Sunday, my yoga teacher (she's a dear friend, so I get private lessons! Hooray!) takes me through 30 minutes of guided meditation at the end of our asana. Oh man, it leaves me feeling so goooooood. We've actually managed a few times between some pranayama and the meditation session to halt full-blown anxiety attacks!

i totally have not been doing this. ugh. i find it really hard. i don't know. some of it might still be my fucking pain. actually, though, meditating would probably be good for that... maybe.

ok. i'm going to try again.

I'd like to learn to meditate, but I'm way too impatient.

Last time I tried was at this quasi-professional meeting, and it was awful. The exercise was to concentrate on various regions of the body, and really feel them. I felt like I was sitting on needles. The more I was trying to concentrate on, say, my feet, the more I felt the need to move them. I couldn't sit still...

Archived