CrazyBoards.org

I am a stubborn, stupid woman

withing

In another thread, I mentioned going from where I am to visit my daughter in VA for Xmas... Yeah, my relative and I drove.

Okay, I drove. I drove both ways. And stubborn me, I drove straight through - fourteen hours.

Let me repeat that.

Fourteen hours. Each way. I wasn't gonna let my insane relative drive, not even a mile. They are old and their mind wanders and I just can't stand the way they drive. The *ONE* time I let them have the car, after we got there, I stayed behind in the hotel and my daughter and the relative went out for dinner. Well, they nearly crashed the car, and got lost. *sigh* That's why I didn't want them to drive. I told them that I have "issues" with other people driving my car. They accepted that (because they have issues of their own) and let me drive.

Anyway, I drove around both days we were in VA - except that once. And I drove there and back. And I know I'm gonna pay. My knees and back are killing me!!! *sob* My fingers are throbbing, but the typing is helping. My feet hurt from being in the same position for so long, and my elbows and arms hurt. I know that I will hurt tomorrow and it will probably take days to recover. My stomach has been acting up for days now.

Why, oh why am I so stubborn??? Why??? I know that seeing my daughter was important to me, but really, was it necessary to drive so far so fast???

Someone give me a good swift kick in the behind (not to hard, it'll hurt my back).

I think that's why VE made this icon:

;)

You're not stupid...well...I don't know...if you are, then I'm stupid too because I do shit like that to myself also. YEARS after I know better.

I hope your not hurting too badly. Of the OTC's Aleve (naproxen) works best on my joints and whatnots.

Sorry you're suffering, Path. I can't imagine having the mental fortitude to drive 14 hrs in a stretch. The most I've driven is 8 hrs, and by the end of that span, I was nutty and needed to pull into a motel.

Hang in there. Have you found anything that helps with the pain?

Hang in there. Have you found anything that helps with the pain?

Nothing that doesn't have any wacky side effects. I guess since I don't have anything to do for a week, I can take some ibuprofen - the confusion won't matter if I don't have anything important to do...

Other than that, I'm SOL... I am sitting on my vibrating heat pad with my legs stretched out... that helps a little.

I got home about a half an hour ago, and I'm just waiting to wind down... Right now, I'm too wired to sleep. It'll hit me in an hour or so and I'll probably crash for a *long* time...

• 3 months later...

Pretty sure most of us have done a drive longer than we should have and paid the price with servere back pain, swollen feet, stomach cramps from trying to ignore the pain. So, we all probably need a kick every now and then.

My dumbest drive was 20 hours to Texas. My husband did not yet know how to drive a manual so I did the whole drive, straight through after a full day of work on my feet for 9 hours.

Archived