CrazyBoards.org

Help and experience RE: meds

Okay so has anyone had any experience with symbyax? It's 3mg zyprexa/25mg prozac. I am thinking about asking my pdoc for this when I see her on Tuesday.

Also,I have read a couple studies on here where Zyprexa and a mood stabilizer like Lamictal or Topamax had positive effect on people with BPD. I have an extreme mood stability problem. I was diagnosed bipolar in my teens (I guess im not though because now they say BPD) I took Lamictal for like a month or so and dont remember it having any effect but im not sure if thats because I quit it so early or if it genuinely didnt work for me.

Either way should I ask for a mood stabilizer to augment the antidepressant? Or will it be just be canceled out?

*one of the reasons I am asking for the zyprexa is because I often have psychotic symptoms when I am in my depression.

Thank you!

I'm on a mood stabiliser and an anti depressant.

However I think the general wisdom is to introduce and monitor one med at a time, that way you know what is or isn't working. Adding Symbax might work, but adding too much at one time might be confusing. You could go for something like risperdal, which is an antipsychotic with mood stabilising effects.

But I do thing one thing at a time is the best way.

I am on a symbyax like combo of prozac and olanzapine - 60mgs Prozac/25 olanzapine but its mainly for schizoaffective disorder. The Prozac helps my BPD and I am on 200mgs of Topamax for bulimia. I find it helpful for BPD too.

good luck

blackbird x

Archived