CrazyBoards.org

pristiq shelf life

I couldn't find anything about the shelf life of pristiq out there. For me it seems to be about 20 hours. After that, I start getting buzzing and ringing in my ears and a feeling there are springs in my head between my brain and my skull. If I move too fast my brain gets bounced back and forth and I can tell you its ANNOYING.

Anyone notice anything similar?

Gracie

I couldn't find anything about the shelf life of pristiq out there. For me it seems to be about 20 hours. After that, I start getting buzzing and ringing in my ears and a feeling there are springs in my head between my brain and my skull. If I move too fast my brain gets bounced back and forth and I can tell you its ANNOYING.

Gracie

I think you mean half-life. That may be why you aren't finding your answer. Try searching that. It should turn up on the internet somewhere.

What am I missing? What good is 11 hours? What do you do for the other 13?

Thanks for the correction...could of sworn someone called it shelf life recently. At any rate, half life is what I'm questioning. ;)

Gracie

Gracie

Gracie-

Ophelia is correct regarding the "half life" of Pristiq. Thus, at about the 11th hour after ingesting the pill, 1/2 the medication has been metabolized and used up by the body. Now, having said that, and I'd never thought of this before, pehaps that's why there is also a 100mg dose. Seems to me that what you are experiencing would be close to withdrawal symptoms(SSRI Discontinuation Syndrome). However, even at the 50mg dosage, over just a couple of days(in some cases is may be longer) the medication "should" begin to build-up in your system, and that should not be a problem.

This has given me a few additional things to think about regarding this med. Thanks for asking, and HTH!

Regards,

Deepster

Thanks Deepster. I do find that the springy head thing is a little less today. Still having buzzing, tinnitus and a headache. Maybe you are right about it taking time to build up in your system. I never had these symptoms on 100mg...I kind of thought they were effexor withdrawal (wierdly enough) symptoms in the beginning when I was on 50mg. I had switched from effexor directly to 50mg of pristiq.

Gracie.

Thanks Deepster. I do find that the springy head thing is a little less today. Still having buzzing, tinnitus and a headache. Maybe you are right about it taking time to build up in your system. I never had these symptoms on 100mg...I kind of thought they were effexor withdrawal (wierdly enough) symptoms in the beginning when I was on 50mg. I had switched from effexor directly to 50mg of pristiq.

Gracie.

Gracie-

LOL!! You crack me up...."what happened with the other XX hours"! NO, I am not laffing at you, that just hit my funny bone! Thanks, I needed it tonight. I'm sorry, but I didn't have the experience of the transition to Pristiq from Effexor, so I'm sure there is a LOT I don't understand. I went directly onto P after 60 days on, and 60 days off Celexa, which I am sure is the spawn of Satan of all meds. So, in my case P was introduced into a somewhat "clean" body as far as meds are concerned....we won't speak of nicotine.....LOL!!!! Knowing little to nothing of "chemistry", I only gave a cursory glance at the pharmacological "diagrams" provided by my pdoc. The thing I did notice was that "serotonin" RuIs were still present, but in a lesser degree than the SSRI nightmare, and that "norepinephine" RuIs had been introduced in the med. Now, that's not the same for Effexor, as it's STILL an SNRI affecting both serotonin and and norepinephrine. The diff is that Pristiq appears "at least in diagrams" to have less of the serotonin RuI effectiveness.......but Effexor has a higher RuI than Pristiq. Thus my suspicions that you have indeed been experiencing some type of "withdrawal". It's my thinking.....not my medical opinion....that this should balance out.

I do SO hope that you'll keep sharing your experience, and I'll do my best to keep sharing mine.

My klonopin, and a few drinks have leveled out my INSOMNIA, though I know that's not a cure, and I'll discuss this with my pdoc in two weeks. I am still concerned about my appetite, as I am a "slight" person already. Hell, it may be worth going on Depakote or going back to an SSRI just to get the weight back! I "plumped up" when on Paxil, and it wasn't a problem, as it really made me look healthier!

At 56, and unmarried, I could give a flip about the sexual SEs, and at least they are not as debilitating as Paxil makes one.

My best to you!

Deepster

• 4 months later...
Guest Jenifer

Gracie.

Gracie-

LOL!! You crack me up...."what happened with the other XX hours"! NO, I am not laffing at you, that just hit my funny bone! Thanks, I needed it tonight. I'm sorry, but I didn't have the experience of the transition to Pristiq from Effexor, so I'm sure there is a LOT I don't understand. I went directly onto P after 60 days on, and 60 days off Celexa, which I am sure is the spawn of Satan of all meds. So, in my case P was introduced into a somewhat "clean" body as far as meds are concerned....we won't speak of nicotine.....LOL!!!! Knowing little to nothing of "chemistry", I only gave a cursory glance at the pharmacological "diagrams" provided by my pdoc. The thing I did notice was that "serotonin" RuIs were still present, but in a lesser degree than the SSRI nightmare, and that "norepinephine" RuIs had been introduced in the med. Now, that's not the same for Effexor, as it's STILL an SNRI affecting both serotonin and and norepinephrine. The diff is that Pristiq appears "at least in diagrams" to have less of the serotonin RuI effectiveness.......but Effexor has a higher RuI than Pristiq. Thus my suspicions that you have indeed been experiencing some type of "withdrawal". It's my thinking.....not my medical opinion....that this should balance out.

I do SO hope that you'll keep sharing your experience, and I'll do my best to keep sharing mine.

My klonopin, and a few drinks have leveled out my INSOMNIA, though I know that's not a cure, and I'll discuss this with my pdoc in two weeks. I am still concerned about my appetite, as I am a "slight" person already. Hell, it may be worth going on Depakote or going back to an SSRI just to get the weight back! I "plumped up" when on Paxil, and it wasn't a problem, as it really made me look healthier!

At 56, and unmarried, I could give a flip about the sexual SEs, and at least they are not as debilitating as Paxil makes one.

My best to you!

Deepster

Hi Gracie,

I hope your symptoms are getting better! In the meantime, I have to share with you that I too experience similar symptoms while tapering down my dosage. My symptoms include ringing in the ears, sensitive skin, inability to orgasm (it's horrible), sometimes involuntary muscle jitters at night, and this horrible zapping in my head. The zapping in my head is the worst! It happens mostly when I move my head.....my head turns but my brain has a delayed reaction and seems to be in slow motion but then catches up quickly which makes me dizzy momentarily...gives me sort of a "zap" or electrical jolt. I was on 100mg Prestiq daily upon finding out my spouse cheated on me and after 6 months I started to taper myself off the medication (divorced him and felt better). It has been 5 weeks and I am down to taking 1/8 of one pill per day, which seems to help with the symptoms I have. It's a slow process and I am hoping the zapping and ringing in my ears goes away soon! At times, it interferes with my work! As an RN in the ER, I can't afford to be feeling like crap but alas, I have my days. Here's hoping to feeling better for both of us!!!

Jen

• 1 month later...
Guest tamster

Hey I was looking up pristiq half life when i came across your posts. I have been taking several antihistamines to control my 'sinus' and 'allergy' symptoms. These symptoms get really bad if I miss taking my meds for one or two days (to the point of debilitation). However, I have finally figured out that the problem is not my "allergies" or "sinuses" at all. those symptoms only appear when I have also missed my dose of Pristiq. By two day without the drug, I begin to get headaches, sinus fullness, and a dizziness linked to nausea which is set into motion by eye movements. That is why I have the cirtirizine and singulair which only increased the problems since I don't have true allergies or sinus problems.

I am now working on trying to wean off the pristiq without causing these effects. I am now taking 1/2 pristiq every day. Since half life is 11 hours, taking this dose every 12 hours will keep it at a level dosage. Soon I will cut those in half and take those every day, then every other day, and so on, so on. I want to get off this medication. I don't like the miserable side effects it can cause.

I will let you know how it works out for me

• 1 month later...

http://www.druglib.com/druginfo/pristiq/description_pharmacology/

this is what i found on web about pristiq and how long its in your system... or what ever

something else i did find out also,,,,,,,, have been taking pristiq for approx. 7-8 months( jan or so). things started changing for me emotionally and becoming more verbal since end of june, come to find out that there is a chance it could be a side affect. upon calling this company, i asked questions and they said doesn't matter 1st or 100th dose, side affects could happen at any time. boy does that bite cause i was really starting to feel bettere after starting this

now it does not take much for me to cry and not be able to stop, plus i have been becoming more outspoken, where as till recently if someone said something i just kept quiet or backed down.... NOW oh boy.

i also have m.s. but my most recent mri showed no new lesions since dec 08 so what happened???????? am going over thing with dr this week.

if any one else has taken this and felt worse months later please let me know.

it says right on the insert inform dr or worsening or new symptoms, but doesn't say even aftere being on how long.

have been so ready to commit my self because of the crying episodes it has caused my husband and i so much grieve and close to separation cause can't deal with it and i am having trouble dealing with it myself. once upset or in the crying jag can last HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hope everyone haws better luck than me.

so sad it takes so much to find the right pill to help you (if you find it) with out too many side affects...tiredness,blurred vision,lower libdo,nausea, vomitting, constipation,diarreah,etc

love ya all, best of luck.

guess i may be back on the trial and error again.already been thru enough of them.

Archived