CrazyBoards.org

TSH levels high, still have to take Cytomel?

I've been taking Cytomel for about the last 4 years. Blood test on my thyroid have always been normal up until now. I get my most recent thyroid panel and my gdoc says my THS levels are too high. He says I should stop taking Cytomel. I talked to my pdoc and he said I should keep taking it. Now I really don't know what to do. I take it because it's critical to my absorption of another drug. Can't remember which one. Just that when I mess with the dose I can feel it.

shit, now what? Any suggestions?

Um, I'm confused. I looked at the link and I'm more confused. Doc said my Thyroid is hyperactive and I need to cut out the cytomel. But I can't cause pdoc would crucify me. Not to mention I feel a more fatigued if I don't take it.

I'm sorry, do you think you could explain it to me like i'm 10?

how much cytomel are you taking? and what value is your TSH? the latter is important to know.

TSH = thyroid stimulating hormone. if your levels of thyroid hormone are low, your pituitary is going to sense that and release Thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) to tell the thyroid to produce more thyroid hormone. the average range is about 0.8 - 2.5. so if you are low in thyroid hormone you might have a TSH of 10. if you are really high with thyroid hormone levels (as is likely in your case if you take cytomel) your TSH might be something like 0.15 - or even lower - meaning your pituitary (which detects thyroid level) sees there is so much thyroid hormone that it barely releases thyroid stimulating hormone at all.

i have been on synthroid and cytomel for complete thyroid replacement since march 2006, and i definitely learned the hard way that more cytomel definitely does not = better. you want to be on a dose that your body can handle, and cytomel is very potent. it will lower your TSH by a lot. in a situation like this i would trust your GP, or possibly go see an endocrinologist to monitor your thyroid levels. if need be you can take some synthroid and lower your dose of cytomel. i know cytomel has some psychiatric effects, and you don't want to over do it, but maybe you've become so used to taking it that you do feel different if you don't. i know for me its a daily struggle how much to take to feel mentally sharp versus angry and stressed. definitely get the full story from your Gdoc and ask for a copy of those labs. i'm not sure why you would need cytomel to absorb a certain drug - but i would get the specific reason from your Pdoc. if your thyroid levels are fine i wouldn't recommend taking cytomel on a regular basis, but then again i am not your gdoc or pdoc. but i would get the labs your gdoc is going off of and make sure both the gdoc and the pdoc are on the same page.

Thanks for the explanation.

My doc didn't show me my TSH level per se, He did tell me that I had hyperthyroid and I need to stop using the Cytomel. I take 25 mcg. The odd thing is that I've been taking it for the last 4 years with no abnormal thyroid readings at all. His office is closed today but as soon as I can I'll get that TSH level.

Archived