CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
Amy10

Effects of giving up alcohol, anyone?

Hopefully he pulls through and then I can think about asking him to join me at the Perrier Bar. always room for one more.

Yes, always room. ;)

I hope your friend is okay. I have dead friends from drugs and alcohol--it sucks.

Sadly no, he needs a full transplant and things are not looking good, I'm not hypocrite enough to pray but I do believe in the balance of things .....just hope he has enough positive points with whoever makes the decisions.

Good weekend, faced the crowd worshipping at the Temple of Bacchus and survived, a few friends have joined me now "on the wagon" but we are not making a fuss of it or attracting attention, feeling better now I seem to have some of my life back, I was over-eating for a while I think to compensate for the sugar or mebbes "comfort eating" anyway that seems to have passed, or at least reduced, my wife remarked a few days ago I was looking younger because I was far less stressed..... only eight days to go the 100 day milestone, then only a hundred to the next ehhh ???

Henry,

GREAT job! keep it up, one day at a time... the sugar thing is normal, you should see at any AA meeting there is chocolate and candy - your body is used to the carbs/sugar of alcohol. Good to see it has subsided.

thanks for the update ;)

100 days today, longest I have gone without alcohol since I was about 18 .......... still miss it every day though

congrats henry!!

just yesterday at a meeting i was talking about the miracle that AA has brought out in me - thru working the program, having a sponsor, praying asking my higher power for help every morning and saying thank you every night the obsession to drink has evaporated. This has happened over the last month or so - i had a very healthy obsession goin at 100 days still - hang in there!!

it's ok to miss it - that helps you remember the havoc it brought about in the first place ;)

take care

100 days today, longest I have gone without alcohol since I was about 18 .......... still miss it every day though

i believe(from my experience)that you gonna miss it for at least the next 6 years,it gets less..yes...BUT..it gets more coning and smart in finding ways to convince you that you ARE able to have JUST one drink,and to convince you that you ARE strong enough now to STOP when ever you wish to..i hope you NEVER believe this shit....one drink/sip and you ARE gone

i used my own will power,and in that time(8-9y ago)i used to believe in some sort of god/S....i must admit that this beliefe did help me to a certain extent

i went with a friend to an AA meeting 3 months ago,and i must say that i was REALLY empressed with the didication they put to help themselves and others,and the very well put steps in thiere big/blue book

if you can wipe your a$$ with others opinions and judgments,then i would advice you to start an AA meeting place at your area,those who critisize are not gonna pay anyone's bill...honestly

essam the sober alcoholic

My effects are more of a social one . . . . i didn't get physical withdrawals but socially i am back to only ever haging out in my room in my house. Its bad but i feel as if i can't go out without being tempted and i am not strong enough yet to say no. So my network of friends has pretty much washed up.

Fraking Sucks!

Its bad but i feel as if i can't go out without being tempted and i am not strong enough yet to say no. So my network of friends has pretty much washed up.

Fraking Sucks!

It does suck. So, kudos to you for wanting to change.

AA is a great place to meet like-minded people. Not that I'm "pushing" AA, I'm not...I don't do AA myself, but I once did, and it really is a great way to relearn how to conduct oneself without the help of alcohol or drugs.

Its bad but i feel as if i can't go out without being tempted and i am not strong enough yet to say no. So my network of friends has pretty much washed up.

Fraking Sucks!

AA is a great place to meet like-minded people. Not that I'm "pushing" AA, I'm not...I don't do AA myself, but I once did, and it really is a great way to relearn how to conduct oneself without the help of alcohol or drugs.

Thats good to know. . . . i might look into AA. Or at least do some reading about it. ;) Thanks for the suggestion.

Fraking Sucks!

Thats good to know. . . . i might look into AA. Or at least do some reading about it. ;) Thanks for the suggestion.

in the last 4 months since joining AA, i've developed some lifelong most excellent friends - there's a natural automatic bond given the common background. :)

Number of stumbling blocks in the way this week, the project I am engaged on has underwent some huge infrastructure changes, we said goodbye to one very long term manager and that turned into a booze fest of international proportions, the worst part being most of the old gang were there and of course remembered my crazy antics from my drinking days and expected more of the same, I dodged that one by claiming "heavy duty antibiotics" .... later in the week, the new management wanted to have a "team building" get together which consisted of yet another monumental p1ss up...... seems the new project manager views non-drinkers as non-teamplayers..... leaving early not an option so I went through the charade of getting a beer ..... and let me tell you, once I had a can in my hand the temptation to "just have one" was overwhelming...... then something very strange happened, the thought of taking a swig made me gag.. I almost threw up......... I poured the contents into a flower bed but even the smell from the empty can still had me nearly retching..... I made it through the rest of the night without further incident....... I dunno mebbes a higher power DOES think you need a helping hand now and then.... 120 days coming up !

I have found over and over that people are more accepting of "I don't drink anymore" as the only explanation of abstinence than I ever thought they would be. You can also protest for a number of other legitimate reasons, such as religion, family history of alcoholism, or "I'm watching a very good friend die right now due to alcohol and I prefer not to support the industry." Whatever works. Your manager has no right whatsoever to insist any employee drink alcohol. If you want to go along with it though, don't buy beers. Buy a coke or something else that conceals the absence of alcohol. Make sure you order it in a cocktail glass. If you are worried about ordering it in front of everyone, discreetly take your server aside and tell him/her that you will be having rum and coke, hold the rum.

Edited by celestia

Number of stumbling blocks in the way this week, the project I am engaged on has underwent some huge infrastructure changes, we said goodbye to one very long term manager and that turned into a booze fest of international proportions, the worst part being most of the old gang were there and of course remembered my crazy antics from my drinking days and expected more of the same, I dodged that one by claiming "heavy duty antibiotics" .... later in the week, the new management wanted to have a "team building" get together which consisted of yet another monumental p1ss up...... seems the new project manager views non-drinkers as non-teamplayers..... leaving early not an option so I went through the charade of getting a beer ..... and let me tell you, once I had a can in my hand the temptation to "just have one" was overwhelming...... then something very strange happened, the thought of taking a swig made me gag.. I almost threw up......... I poured the contents into a flower bed but even the smell from the empty can still had me nearly retching..... I made it through the rest of the night without further incident....... I dunno mebbes a higher power DOES think you need a helping hand now and then.... 120 days coming up !

Henry,

I got goosebumps reading your post!!! So proud of you!! yeah i can't even grasp the concept of holding a drink in my hand - ok i have to mention that if you have the big book, check out pages 84-85 (bottom of 84 into 85). It talks just about this physical reaction towards taking a drink that you describe.

awesome on 120 days !! in a few days I'll be at 7 months - and feeling great.

take care

PS if you don't have the AA book, you can google it and find it online as well

Here we go 180 coming up still clean and dry, been having a few sleeping problems lately, not actually getting to sleep, but waking every few hours then back to sleep, no particular reason as I have no stress or anxiety in my life at the minute. I have avoided trying any drugs or sleeping aids in case I end up with another addiction, hope it passes. Maybe just a reaction from my brain as it is not having cells destroyed every day and is celebrating by having a few extra thoughts here and there........... ?

When I first quit, IIRC, it took about a year for everything to reset to *normal*, including sleep.

Congrats on the 6 mos.!

183 days ...six months....half a year..... lethargy back again so looking into some natural supplements for Vitamin B etc. Anyone any comments on the likes of Thistlemilk ?

Guest Bdub57

I've had five drinks in the last 10+ weeks, after 30 years of regular after-work martinis which degenerated into flat out abusive drinking in the last couple of years. The last few weeks I've been laid low with profound blahs -- depressive, sad, disconnected and no enthusiasm for anything except some residual sex drive. Really feeling knocked back on my heels. Any advice or insight into what I'm dealing with is welcome

I've been taking multi-vits and B-complex at suggestion of my support group (Smart). Ugh.

Thanks to all for your wisdom on the boards.

I've had five drinks in the last 10+ weeks, after 30 years of regular after-work martinis which degenerated into flat out abusive drinking in the last couple of years. The last few weeks I've been laid low with profound blahs -- depressive, sad, disconnected and no enthusiasm for anything except some residual sex drive. Really feeling knocked back on my heels. Any advice or insight into what I'm dealing with is welcome

After 2 years of abusive drinking, it's bound to take as long or longer for your body to start figuring out how it's supposed to work. That would include neuroreceptors up- or down- regulating once they can figure out which direction should be normal.

I'd guess that this is going to go on for longer than you'd want.

I've been taking multi-vits and B-complex at suggestion of my support group (Smart). Ugh.

B-vitamin dosing mostly helps if you're deficient. Then again, if you've been drinking your dinners ...

One thing that could really help is to have a full checkup - thyroid hormone, blood counts, B12 levels, etc. It would suck to feel worse than needed because there was something treatable going on.

from what I've been told, it takes about 18 months to really get the effects of alcohol and pills out of your system

I'm closing in on 11 months alcohol free and its been almost 5 months since i got off my cocktail of antidepressants and sleep/anxiety meds. I still have tingling feet and get sad frustrating days (course that could be cuz I'm going thru a divorce lol)

all in all tho, i sleep at night, no more insomnia, anxiety is manageable and depression is bye bye

oh and the obsession to drink, think about drinking, want to drink, has gone away woohoo thats' the best part ;)

don't get me wrong tho, feeling feelings now is hard at times but that is all part of the journey of sobriety, which is far different than how i used to be which was when a feeling came that i didn't like, i picked up a drink to cover it up, now i pick up the phone, go to a meeting, pray, read a book or one of my many tools from AA

hang in there