CrazyBoards.org

can you have depression without the boo hoos?

i just can't seem to get it going. i am bp 1 and have achieved stability as far as evening out my moods.

that's why i do not understand why i have no desire or ability to get something started. like, clean my room. a job. healthy eating. quitting smoking.

i just am not weepy. well, a little hopeless. just getting through the days.

also, what is the max dose of celexa? i am on 40mg. i haven't had those want to die, deep deep depressions. just this feeling that it would not bother me to do so.

guess it sounds like depression. even without all of the boo hoos?

thank you,

kathy

ps...i am extremely bored and like to only engage in activities that are mindless and fill the time. like, sleeping. (even though there are things to do.)

What you are describing are the symptoms I can't seem to get rid of with regard to my depression. I have a hell of a time getting motivated if i don't HAVE to do something. Sometimes I get in a mood and I start getting some things done around the house. Other times, such as a couple weeks ago, I was crying because I wanted to go out but I didn't have the motivation to wash my hair and it was greasy looking.

I'm typically not reduced to tears and I"m definitely not weepy in general. I'm also not sad, just chronically in need of caffeine. Sadness is only one symptom of depression. Like someone said, dysthymia is on going chronic lower symptom depression that usually doesn't cause huge problems in the person's life but surely takes the "zing" out of it.

I have noticed though that in the summer it goes away and in the winter I'm feeling sooo blahhhhhhh. But anyhow, hope that answers your question.

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same experience exactly right now with Celexa. I was on 20mg and described what you were feeling to my doc and he upped my dose to 40 because he felt like I was still depressed. I don't have those soul-crushing lows anymore...but I am just so apathetic to everything. I just don't care. I'd stay in bed all day if I could because I'm exhausted and can't figure out where to start even if I did get out of bed. There's stuff to clean, things to do, I just feel so urgency whatsoever to do them. It's lke I'm a little bit TOO relaxed. I have anxiety and depression and this has greatly helped my anxiety. But I feel no sense of urgency to do things that even need badly to be done.

We all have different ways of expressing our moods & they vary greatly on what the specific trigger for a depressive episode happens to be....I'm in the same situation with wanting to just stay in bed all day,especially what with all the crap I've been dealing with lately but then again I've been like that ever since starting on the paxil a few months ago.

I asked my tdoc to put in a word with my pdoc today about seeing if an increase in the paxil might help,she did say that it would be better to hold of on that for the moment because there's really only so much that meds alone can do.

I've experienced two kinds of "not crying but still depressed". The first is exactly what you descibed--I'm completely without energy, no motivation, don't care, no "zing", but I'm not sad or crying because I feel sad.

The other kind of "not crying but still depressed" is when I am so depressed that I can't physically cry, even though everything in my soul is crying hysterically on the inside. I've tried crying when I feel like that--I can't get the tears to come. I just stare into space in silent agony. It's like I get down so far that it's too much effort and exertion to cry. I'd have to come up from those depths of depression before I would be able to physically cry.

Corvid

I've experienced two kinds of "not crying but still depressed". The first is exactly what you descibed--I'm completely without energy, no motivation, don't care, no "zing", but I'm not sad or crying because I feel sad.

The other kind of "not crying but still depressed" is when I am so depressed that I can't physically cry, even though everything in my soul is crying hysterically on the inside. I've tried crying when I feel like that--I can't get the tears to come. I just stare into space in silent agony. It's like I get down so far that it's too much effort and exertion to cry. I'd have to come up from those depths of depression before I would be able to physically cry.

Corvid

Boy do I know the feeling because I'm still in that mode right now.

thanks corvid-- that's almost exactly how I am in my 'blank' depression vs. my 'hollow' depression, neither of which involve weepy emotions/crying.

gettin'closer: sounds like you're still depressed and I hope you can talk to your doctor soon and don't get stuck thinking that you have to settle at this point.

there are so many ways that depression can show up and it's certainly not always the same for everyone-- I actually have rough names for the different 'kinds' or stages of depression that I've been through. you'd be in the 'blank' phase in my world. for me 'blank' is when I'm not really anything to any extreme---I'm just kind of 'there' and vaguely apathetic about everything. it's when I wake up and think 'bleh. I know I should do this, and could do this, and should enjoy that but eh, too much work and I don't really care so I'm just gonna go back to sleep now. kthxbai.'

the good thing is that it seems a whole lot easier to shake and add some color and emotion back into that kind of depression than say the verybottomdeepestdespair-hollow depression that corvid described so well. talk to your doctor and don't get tricked into thinking this is baseline or normal or what 'not depressed/not hypo/manic' feels like for most people-- it's not-- it's just a different kind of depression that you can beat w/healthy choices like excersize that people above mentioned as well as talking to your doc about med changes since this isn't cutting it.

luck, hope that you can get some relief from the grayness.

meg

Sounds kind of like depression to me.

I get like that a lot. I usually don't realize how depressed I really am until I snap out of it. I usually liken it to being sick with a nasty case of the flu. I just want to lie in bed for a week and avoid everything. Sometimes I can't even tell the difference between the two, so I usually have a thermometer handy. Rule of thumb for me: If it goes on for over a week, it's depression.

Archived