CrazyBoards.org

ponies, parrots, monkeys

This article from the NY Times popped up in my Google reader about service animals and how they are viewed by the public. The growing diversity of the service animal population - from miniature ponies to monkeys - seems to worry some people and business owners and it seems that they don't want to allow anything except service dogs into public places.

What do y'all think?

Wow, I had no idea. I think is absolutely wonderful. I love all animals and if they are capable "and want to do it", I think they should. I could use some help around the house when I'm depressed. If I could just get the cats to help out, I'd be all set. I guess cats will be the last to become service animals...more likely we will continue being their service animals.

I think any animal that works, works. Whoever is proposing legislation to limit guide animals to dogs is an ass. (I couldn't focus long enough to read the entire article, but I read about half I think). The fact that horses live 30 years and parrots live 80 yrs is a big bonus too.

From what I understand, there appears to be a "safety issue" with some people - they are worried about sanitary problems, and some others consider animals like monkeys "wild" and beyond domestication.

I think that if the animals are working and are of no threat then there shouldn't be a problem. A parrot isn't any more unsanitary than a dog in a public area in my opinion.

There also seems to be a distinction between "comfort" animals and "service" animals. Service animals are allowed in public areas, but comfort animals don't appear to be.

Wow, I had no idea. I think is absolutely wonderful. I love all animals and if they are capable "and want to do it", I think they should. I could use some help around the house when I'm depressed. If I could just get the cats to help out, I'd be all set. I guess cats will be the last to become service animals...more likely we will continue being their service animals.

I had two cats (white kitty and black kitty) and they always knew before I did when I was going to have a seizure. Black kitty would get all over me and start screaming at me and that was my "cue" to go lay down. Because she wouldn't leave me alone until I did go lay down.

So some cats are good at some things, but I don't know if it's something you can train them to do.

BTW, Velcro screams for help when I have seizures too. So maybe I'll have another seizure kitty.

Archived