CrazyBoards.org

my new neighbors suck

Guest beetle not logged in

it had to be THEM!

OK first off I am beetle but I'm on a different computer that doesn't have my password saved.

I just need to vent but venting won't get rid of the problem. Nothing will. I now have to live with this shit until such time that we can move which won't be for a long, long time.

Noise is my trigger. I hate it. I hate being held hostage by someone else's noise. It feels like a personal assault on me. When I'm held prisoner by it in my own home, that makes me feel like I want to commit acts of violence.

After years of planning, sacrificing and scouting out land, we found a spot out in the country to build a place to try to get away from the noise of the city. That's all I really want in life is a little peace. We had it for a short fleeting moment.

Until the house next to us sold. Within the first three months of moving in these people start building a massive barn which lines up perfectly with my living room windows. I can't believe the spot they chose to build that thing. So now every noise travels up the hill and into my home, especially the living room. I'm hanging out in the bedroom to get away from the noise. They've had some kind of motor running literally ALL DAY LONG. My husband says it's an air compressor. Whatever the fuck it is, I've had to listen to it all day and I'm about to melt down... actually, I think I already have.

I'm on a cocktail of meds that isn't working and that isn't helping. But I think even if we get my meds right, this will still be a constant problem that will torture me for as long as I live here. And there's no way we're moving any sooner than maybe ten years or so. Wonderful. Ten years of this shit.

WTF is wrong with people? I actually try to take others into account. When we built this house we made sure to put it as far away from the existing home as we could so that we wouldn't ruin those people's quality of life. Never did I imagine that someone would one day build a massive pole barn right on top of me like these people have. I just wouldn't do that to someone. They could have built it on the other side of their house where there isn't another house right behind them but no....

I hate people. I really do. And I'm feeling really awful. It's taking everything I got to keep from going over there and.... and what? I don't know. You just can't reason with people who don't care about anyone but themselves.

And no, there's no such thing as a noise ordinance out here. They could keep this shit going all through the night and there's not a thing that can be done. I regret moving here but there's nothing I can do now.

Beetle that really sucks. I can totally appreciate how living with incessant annoying noise can upset your equilibrium, and on top of pooped out meds and all... aargh.

I second Changed in that it is definitely worth trying to talk to them, first of all. But you are right, they don't sound very considerate to start with so you may need to expect disappointment there. It is worth a shot though & sooner rather than later. If you are likely to go over & just blast them though (I'd feel like it!) it maybe an idea to wait til you're calmer, or get your husband to do it as he is not as badly affected by the situation by the sounds of it. A confrontation won't help resolve things & could drag out into a long-term dispute. Just a thought btw - it could be an air compressor, but then again it could also be a generator being used pending powering of the barn, they have a similar bone-shattering sound. In that case it could be an temporary situation... who knows.

If it is something that's ongoing, and they turn out to be the inconsiderate assholes you suspect, then I hate to suggest it as this is not your doing & you don't deserve to outlay costs - but there are measures you can take in your house to seal out much of the noise. If you're stuck there for the next 10 years it could save everyone's sanity. If they are inconsiderate they won't want to do their bit to help and there are few things more stressful than ongoing neighbor disputes. If you can shut them out all the better.

Good luck, and I sincerely hope you are not putting up with this for too long.

That is horrible, Beetle. A true nightmare. I'm like with with noise, and that would be just awful. I think Generica has some good suggestions. I wish I could add some. It sure does sound like your neighbors might not be terribly approachable, but jeez, seems like there should be something you could do in the short-term.

Just a thought btw - it could be an air compressor, but then again it could also be a generator being used pending powering of the barn, they have a similar bone-shattering sound. In that case it could be an temporary situation... who knows.

Like a lawn mower that just won't shut off...

If the barn will really be used for typical "barn" stuff, they should quiet down a lot after it's finished. If not, it may be time to start a hedgerow ecosystem along the fence-line. It would block your view of their property (too bad for them if you can't see trespassers) but it could be a good thing for blocking noise. You'll want a mixture of trees and bushes, and they shouldn't all be deciduous.

Also, if they have nice cars and they're closer to the property line than you are, might I suggest mulberry trees? Birds adore them. Blackberry jam is also a wonderful reminder of summer.

I completely sympathise with you beetle. I moved into a lovely house where I am now. It's a terrace, but it was a pretty quiet road all told. Then...last summer, the family from HELL moved in next door. At first we just argued - basically because I work an evening shift so don't get home until 1.30am (London time) and their kids were up at 7am. They have FOUR (count 'em!) boys under 10...can you just imagine? Then, when they were all out of the house, they have two very small yappy-type dogs, that barked and howled CONSTANTLY until someone got home. And I mean constantly. When one of them took a breath, the other filled the gap. I was going mental.

In the end, I just went around and had to talk to them about it after 10.5 hours last Boxing Day of howling and barking from the dogs, I was tearing out my hair. I got the door slammed in my face the first time, probably because I was in a foul mood when I confronted him. But a couple of days later the guy turned up on my doorstep with a bottle of wine to say sorry and the dialogue started there. We're not best friends or anything, but when we're all out in the garden, we can be more than civilised with each other and they HAVE reduced the noise from the kids and the dogs and I have told them how much I appreciate it. It works both ways. I have in general always been a quiet person, so I suspect they didn't realise how much sound bled through the walls and into my house.

It's certainly worth talking to them, and doing so in as rational a way as possible - sometimes people really are just not aware that what they are doing could be irritating to someone else (unbelievable as that might sound!). Trying to avoid confrontation with neighbours is hard to do, but definitely worth the effort. It's so much easier if you can get along. It may be worth telling them that you are unwell and the constant noise is making you sicker and perhaps they could only have it on for a portion of the day? Compromise is good!

I wish you luck (and peace) beetle! ;)

Thanks for the replies. Nah, these people don't care. They just want what they want even if it means taking away from what I want.

When they started building the thing the construction noise was horrible. Usually these things go up pretty fast but these people have been taking their sweet ass time. They've actually had a bulldozer sitting on the front lawn for like a month now. I'm just waiting for them to fire that thing up again.

So, the wife works at a local store and I stopped in one day to introduce myself and say a few things. I put on my happy face and acted just as friendly as I could and asked them about the barn, what it was to be used for, etc. I "jokingly" mentioned that they couldn't have lined it up with my living room windows any more perfectly if they tried. I wanted to, in a civil way, alert her to the fact that the noise travels up this hillside and into my home. She seemed to understand but didn't really give an apology. I told her that I understand there will be some noise during construction but that I was concerned that the intended use of the barn would result in ongoing nuisance noise issues and she assured me that wouldn't be the case.

Well, here we are....

All I can hope for is that they're running the thing to finish the barn on the inside and that it is temporary. But this thing looks like it's going to be used as a workshop so....

My husband has an air compressor and he only runs it when he's working on our cars and that certainly isn't an all day thing.

It just makes me not want to be in my home but I don't have anywhere else to go. Yes, this is day two of the same shit. I just took a Klonipin and feel like just going back to bed. This kind of stuff depresses me.

I think my hellbilly ex-neighbours moved in next to you! I'm so sorry.

At least they kept their mowed. That was their only redeeming quality.

I was actually on the phone w/Jerod once when one of their three year-old's (two kids, one looked 3 the other about 2?) climbed the fence and came into my yard and knocked on the backdoor because their mom had locked them out.

It took me nearly 10 minutes to wake her and then she didn't answer the front door, she opened the garage door! WTF?

They used to work on their cars in the middle of the night. Home repairs as well. Then there were the knock-down, drag-out fights. Screaming and babies crying included. The monster truck parked out in the street. UGH!

I think Null had some of the best ideas. Sorry that I have none. You have my deepest sympathies though.

I really feel for you.

How come u can't make a noise complaint? Noise pollution is noise pollution is....

Nobody may act on it, but it will be on file.

I don't have any suggestions either. Um. Earplugs? Soft music on an iPod? Thats what I do when the upstairs people are stomping around like the gestapo at 2 in the morning.

Ok. Those were suggestions. Sorry.

How come u can't make a noise complaint? Noise pollution is noise pollution is....

... subject entirely to local ordinances, which may not even exist. Even when they do, there's usually a high decibel level required, and usually the restriction is only in force for certain hours of the evening.

Archived