CrazyBoards.org

Strong Sad is Bipolar

As a young teen I was pretty into Homestar Runner cartoons and I and my friends watched every one of the Strong Bad Email series. I've gotten considerably older and moved on to other things (mostly werewolves and Lovecraft,) but as is usually the case, I still remember those cartoons fondly. Anyone else watch 'em?

If so, remember Strong Sad? He was Strong Bad's brother, kind of chubby and shy, and always looking very depressed. In fact, in one e-mail, you find out that his screenname is Depressio, and plots involved him writing depressing poetry, and playing board games by himself. At the time, I kind of got that he was supposed to be a sort of proto-emo character.

There are a couple episodes, though, that show a completely different side of Strong Sad. In Caffeine, Strong Bad decides to study the effects of caffeine on Strong Sad, but for whatever reason, ends up slipping him sanka (decaffeinated coffee) instead. Nevertheless, for whatever reason, Strong Sad reacts bizarrely, possibly just because Strong Bad is following him around. He talks incessantly and fast ("What did I say, Cheat? What did I say? Did I say anything?") and ends up chanting "I feel good. I feel good. I feel bad. I feel good." Later on, he decides to try and interest Marzipan in a bizarre, byzantine business venture, and eventually becomes violent.

So, yeah. Guess Strong Sad's supposed to be bipolar, not just depressed.

Ha. I came over to this thinking it was about "strong SAD/seasonal affective disorder" and we were gonna have a nice chat about Rosenthal and Goodwin and all of that.

Yours is better! I do remember those.

Perhaps it was a variant of ADHD, however, given that the absence of a stimulant resulted in impulsive behavior, to the point of adverse consequences... I'll defer to Null0trooper.

Perhaps it was a variant of ADHD, however, given that the absence of a stimulant resulted in impulsive behavior, to the point of adverse consequences... I'll defer to Null0trooper.

Nah. Deprived of adequate caffeine (absent withdrawal) a lot of people will head into shutdown and brain lock. Have you ever watched an ADDer try to plan anything after skipping meds - three different trains from four time zones trying to pull into the same station, and oh look! a puppy! Time to check email. The impulsive behavior usually comes from not thinking of consequences (re: bad ideas,) skipping steps in a sequence (re: good ideas,) or trying to self-stimulate (escalating arguments, "button-pushing", doing the first thing that comes to mind just to be doing something, getting in a car with no place in mind, window-shopping, endless internet cruising)

The fact that I have three hammers in my house (5 if you count the sledgehammer in the kitchen, and the rubber mallet that's MIA) and one in my office *sounds* impulsive, but there I was, in the tool section, and could not for the life of me remember if I still had one.

But boyohboy do I hate being followed around, or have people try to "help me" when I'm trying to think of or remember something specific. Violence is completely justified.

For poor Strong Sad, I'd blame, anxiety, justified paranoia (being followed around), and maybe placebo effect. For myself, decaf is banned from my home and the office.

Why. Uh. Not to be too personal. Why is the sledgehammer in the kitchen?

I was using it to put up a car shade in the back yard. A couple of poles wouldn't slide in easily by hand, y'see. But that's OK, it's on the kitchen floor where I can find it, next to the lumber for a shelving project in my computer/work room.

Wouldn't ever challenge a guy with a sledgehammer.

I think it's only a 6-lb. sledge. I had one with a longer handle, but it's still missing.

Archived