CrazyBoards.org

first week on lexapro...

This may be sort of a redundant post, but it made me feel a lot better when I talked to someone else on the same meds who experienced the same thing. So, maybe someone else will breathe a sigh of relief when they read this.

I'm not really talking about the cycling thing some people have described, since I'm really not there yet. Or the teeth-grinding. Or the drowsiness. Or the, uh, sexual dysfunction, as troubling as that is...

It's the sudden feeling of overwhelming weirdness. Not in a "wow, I'm totally fucked up!" kind of way, which could be fun. Sober, clear-headed, but something is not right.

I thought the fact that the meds took a week or so to kick in meant I wouldn't feel anything at all for a while. Much to my surprise, I started to feel something right away.

For those of you who've been there, it's a lot like coming off of a coke binge. For those of you who haven't, that's a lot like having your soul ripped out of your body. I mean, I'm not depressed. I don't care enough to be depressed or anxious. Which is good. I'm just sort of wide-eyed and empty, alert but disassociated. Perhaps, it has something to do w/ the Adderall (which is working exacty like it's meant to, btw. I heart my Adderall). Maybe I'd be too drowsy and out of it to notice if I wasn't adjusting to being back on the ADD meds at the same time. Maybe the dopamine and serotonin are like, fighting a battle to the death in my brain.

I don't know.

My point is, when I talked to someone who's been on Lexapro for a while, that person knew exactly what I was going to say as soon as I told him it was my first week. Apparently, this is the adjustment period. Quote, "I felt like I was going crazy." I was assured that it levels out and goes away.

So, if like me, you were googling "lexapro" and "feeling weird" and searching these boards for a description of this shit, yeah, it's not just you.

Can someone explaint he weird feeling a buit more?  Give me some adjectives to work with - I don't have the experience to understand the coke reference, although it gives me reason #3,571 of why I will never use coke, and the ripping your soul out thing sounds vague.  Isn't that just what life is like in general?  (Oops, that should be on the kill me now board.. ;) )

Guest nonewmsgs (but ive been deleted

for some reason my body's all weird, but i never had a weird reaction with it or after a coke binge with the exception of  a  few sniffles.  my sexual performance has never been better though.  i can last on average 45 minutes and after i finish i can go back in for the next one.  the greatest side effect ever!!!1  not like paxil where i didnt want to even think about food or sex.       

hey :)

yeah i just started lexapro too.  im at 10mg, and going to 20mg in a week.  I'm weaning off effexor XR too from 225mg down to 150mg now for 4 days and then 75mg for 3 days (doctor's orders!).  So right now I still take 150mg effexor in addition to the 10mg lexapro.

weird is definately the right description.  even my vision seems weird like im in some video game world (doom anyone?).  to the outside observer, my eyes appear glassy like im on (recreational, not medicinal) drugs.

ive been on celexa before (by itself) and by like a week i got that zippy feeling people describe on here, but lexapro seems a little different.  for the first 5 hours after my first dose, i felt kind of warm, but did not have a fever.  just sittin here in the room with the air conditioner on real cold!  hopefully ill get to that nice point when i get up to 20mg and the effexor aftereffects are gone.

otherwise, the side effects are real mild.  i guess having already been adjusted to 225mg effexor, ive been used to the tired feeling so the added tiredness is not really messing me up too much.  very very mild nausea and headache.  my pulse and blood pressure are up but all in the safe zone (heart rate like 106 and bp at 130/86).

no memories of old coke binges, but i used to feel GREAT the day after :P   the day after the day after (or maybe 3 days) was the crash  ;)

my pulse and blood pressure are up but all in the safe zone (heart rate like 106 and bp at 130/86).

Resting HR is 106???  Whoa, that seems high.  I thought resting was supposed to be from 60 - 80? 

Coming off effexor is a bitch - good luck with that. 

I think it is the lex that makes my vision funky - floaters and some tunnel vision.  I should wear contacts, but I was having huge problems with eye dryness and sties and just crap in them in general.  SHould get glasses, note to self...

my pulse and blood pressure are up but all in the safe zone (heart rate like 106 and bp at 130/86).

Resting HR is 106???  Whoa, that seems high.  I thought resting was supposed to be from 60 - 80? 

Coming off effexor is a bitch - good luck with that. 

I think it is the lex that makes my vision funky - floaters and some tunnel vision.  I should wear contacts, but I was having huge problems with eye dryness and sties and just crap in them in general.  SHould get glasses, note to self...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well, now im down from 225mg to 75mg of effexor, and i havent had any problem so far.  i guess the lexapro helps substitute for effexor and make it not suck as much.  actually, the side effects are a lot better now that im down from 150mg.  id imagine 10mg lex and 150mg effexor was a little too much for those serotonin reuptake sites..

my resting HR is still up at the same place, but the bp is now 139/83.  i hope once i stop effexor all together and get to 20mg of lexapro, things will level out.  the side effects now are like slight tiredness and excessive thirst (which i have the gatorade, water and orange juice for).  but my mood is improving quite rapidly .. yay ;)   and my concentration is getting much better

Guest Guest_stipple_*

i was prescribed lexapro after my pdoc left to have a baby and the one before her completely flaked out. I had been taking nardil (back on it) my system was i guess clean,hadn't had nardil for a month.......So this is what happened to me on lexapro for a week or 2.

Day #1 felt like the day after a very heavy acid trip=  very sensitive and felt like i went thru the wringer kind of emotionally spent. Day 2    i figure it will take some time to adjust to but still felt drained like fighting for sanity, finding it but it was gray.Day 3 what the hell it's the med i got

so deal with it,it's gotta get better ? Day 4 begin to fell alive again but no desire to do anything remotely creative. Day 5 another one of those days where you bump into everything at crotch level,smoke about 3 thousand cigaretts but just feel tired.

By day 6 i say fuck it and search for new pdoc to get back on nardil.

My daughter takes it with klonopin,who knows about this lexapro ? seems really new and effects everyone as differently as wellbutrin and effexor.My daughter has been on it for about a year but she needs some real face to face therapy.It may not be the right drug for you,the more i try to research it the less i seem to find out.  sure did make me feel like a test drone,hope all goes well for you,never found out about different doses so that may have alot to do with it.my daughter says thier is wieght gain but who knows,eating and depression or not eating and depression are hard to figure out.

This may be sort of a redundant post, but it made me feel a lot better when I talked to someone else on the same meds who experienced the same thing. So, maybe someone else will breathe a sigh of relief when they read this.

I'm not really talking about the cycling thing some people have described, since I'm really not there yet. Or the teeth-grinding. Or the drowsiness. Or the, uh, sexual dysfunction, as troubling as that is...

It's the sudden feeling of overwhelming weirdness. Not in a "wow, I'm totally fucked up!" kind of way, which could be fun. Sober, clear-headed, but something is not right.

I thought the fact that the meds took a week or so to kick in meant I wouldn't feel anything at all for a while. Much to my surprise, I started to feel something right away.

For those of you who've been there, it's a lot like coming off of a coke binge. For those of you who haven't, that's a lot like having your soul ripped out of your body. I mean, I'm not depressed. I don't care enough to be depressed or anxious. Which is good. I'm just sort of wide-eyed and empty, alert but disassociated. Perhaps, it has something to do w/ the Adderall (which is working exacty like it's meant to, btw. I heart my Adderall). Maybe I'd be too drowsy and out of it to notice if I wasn't adjusting to being back on the ADD meds at the same time. Maybe the dopamine and serotonin are like, fighting a battle to the death in my brain.

I don't know.

My point is, when I talked to someone who's been on Lexapro for a while, that person knew exactly what I was going to say as soon as I told him it was my first week. Apparently, this is the adjustment period. Quote, "I felt like I was going crazy." I was assured that it levels out and goes away.

So, if like me, you were googling "lexapro" and "feeling weird" and searching these boards for a description of this shit, yeah, it's not just you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actuallu I have a PR and netlinks to meinfo around the world. I think lexapro has a pretyy long half-life/ Read up fully pm Jero's site to find  his collection of experiences w/ SSRI and lexzpro. Might be gooc ro read upCelexa, foo. 

I hate SSRIs. Even Effexir us lsoing its touch- SRI, ya know. But I can;t get fat.

Guest Vapourware

Just want to add that Lexapro made me non-functional after a week, and I had to stop. I can relate to the dissociation, the apathy and the emptiness. When on Lexapro, I felt as though I had been drained of all life.

The only time Lexapro did not make me feel like a zombie was the very first night. I thought, at the time, that it would be fun to take Lexapro with a cup of coffee. That was a bad mistake. My hands were shaking, I could barely eat and I had fun brain zaps all night.

having just switched off effexor (withdrawal hasnt been too bad) to lexapro (now 20mg), i think the side effects are a little better, especially the sweating.  relative to effexor, its greatly improved the amount of sweating, now i dont wake up all covered in sweat and nasty LOL ;)

i get edgy very easily on the lexapro in situations though, but im generally calmer.  im getting tired a lot more though. 

its definately tolerable in comparison to life without meds..

the blood pressure is normalizing a lot more now that i have stopped effexor.. but the weird thing is that the bp was normal on effexor alone.  i understand the tricks behind switching without withdrawal effects, but im kinda wondering how safe it is to combine SSRIs or SSNRIs (like tapering off one while introducing a new one).  but it was just for a week.

Archived