CrazyBoards.org

That guy sucks too

DesireArmed

Im in a 1 year art course before uni. And my teacher suck, in the only way a 60 year old artsy-fartsy full of himself art-teacher can. A classmate made a portrait in clay of herself, when it broke because it had dryed up for too long, he basically says "get over it", his motto to himself and to his students being that you shouldnt become so attached to a piece that you can't bare to see it ruined. I can agree with it to a certain extent, but I suspect he feels the same way in regards to people. She was very upset about it all, especially him, and his reaction being practically nothing. Zero.

I have to admit that I'm a little scared of him. I can't read his body language and his grimace is almost always posed in a maner that the only way you can tell what sort of mood he is in is by listening to his voice, and even then it's hard. It doesn't matter what the situation is, because for some reason, some reason I feel he is in need of establishing his "superiority" by being aggressive in one way or the other. His mood seen from the outside can at any time be unrelated to the actual event or the discussion he is partaking in. He is in other words, unpredictable, to me at least.

It doesn't actually help either, that at the start of the year I told him about some stuff about my family in a student-teacher thing, and I now think he's an evil bastard, ready to use anything against me. I think he's aware of what he's doing, at the start he made a clay mask of himself that kinda looks like a harlequin from some morbid card deck and left it in the middle of the classroom, and it's still there for everyone to see.

So, yeah...he basically sucks because I'm scared of him.

And he's an idiot.

It doesn't actually help either, that at the start of the year I told him about some stuff about my family in a student-teacher thing, and I now think he's an evil bastard, ready to use anything against me.
But, aside from the fact that he has no redeeming social skills, this is why he scares you? What is the organization sponsoring or employing him to teach this class?

I was an art student at a State University, and all of the art work we did in our classes was the property of the college. They had the legal right to take and keep any of it that they wanted. So Susan is right, if you are going to be an artist, you have to learn to detach yourself from your work a little bit. My best drawings and paintings didn't come home with me after college---they're still at the school, I imagine. *shrug*

It's frustrating to have a teacher you don't like, but dealing with such a person is an integral part of the school/university experience. I've had teachers who did everything from throw erasers at us, slap us, tell us that we were a bunch of losers and would never amount to anything to ripping up work that they thought was sub-standard. I survived and you will, too. If you really want to subvert this guy, smile a lot and ask for his help and input with one of your projects. He'll be flattered and you won't find him so scary.

olga

i like the advice that kind of says don't let this guy's personality prevent you from getting anything out of the class. i would give my right arm to have access to a classroom with models and clay and a kiln. in spite of who this teacher is and in spite of how you feel when you are around him--there is still a great opportunity waiting for you in that classroom. hope you can develop a thick enough skin to be able to make use of it.

Ty

Quitting is not an option, and compared to olga's teachers, I guess he's not that bad.

I still have to learn to ask him for help, turning to the other teacher, but I baffled him a bit today (in a good way), so it might be easier now.

He still sucks though ;)

Archived