CrazyBoards.org

Talking yourself out of a delusion?

Guest Guest_Debbie_*

Guest Guest_Debbie_*

I have become overwhelmed by the idea that someone is watching my house, planning a home invasion. I can't sleep at night. Sometimes I can picture the person in my mind, sometimes he looks like the devil. In my saner moments, i know this is crazy. I've never experienced anything quite like this. I've been trying to reassure myself, and am planning to get a security system to address the realistic possibility that someone could break in. But I can't function at night because I am so scared. I've tried upping my antipsychotic med (as allowed by my doctor), which helps some. But is there anything else I can do? I really don't want to go crazy yet again. When I tell myself I'm being crazy, the fear kicks in and says "but it could happen". That maybe I'm psychically in tune with something real, like a premonition. People get those from time to time, why not me? I'm afraid I may speak it into existence by believing it, at the same time that I'm afraid to be unprepared if I don't. How can I make myself see the truth? How can I evaluate realistic risk?

Debbie,

I think it is great that you take AAP meds and that you have a pdoc to ask about this kind of thing.

When I had delusions it did help to tell people around me and get them to help reason with me. I suppose if I were there I would ask you what it was about you or your house that would be a target for an 'invasion'? Yes, there is a risk any one of us could have our houses broken into by a human thief. But that risk is small, and you already take precautions and are getting a home security system. But I don't think there is a realistic risk that anyone can get into your home, however much that won't take the delusions away.

Hi Debbie

It is good that you have the insight to know that these are delusions. That is a good start, along with your antipsychotic meds.

From my experience however, the delusion never really is resolved until I am at the right dose of medication. Until then there is nothing that can be done to get rid of it. My t-doc actually hit on this yesterday - she said that any thoughts that came directly from an episode were something that only meds could help with, not therapy with her. IE, it would be a waste of money to sit and have her try to talk me out of an episode.

I'd be talking to my p-doc again about some sort of meds adjustment. There is a 'sweet spot' where these things do go away, for me at least.

Good luck!

Every time I go see my pdoc, she asks me the same questions - "are you sleeping, how much sleep?" "any depression, any suicidal thoughts or thoughts of hurting yourself" and the big ones "any hallucinations or delusions or paranoia?"

Floored me because after almost 4 years of seeing her I wouldn't know a hallucination, delusion or paranoia if it bit me on the ass.

The only time I could recognize the paranoia was when someone described how paranoia felt to them and I just went "whoa ... I need to learn more about this thing"

So how DO you know if it's a delusion, hallucination or paranoia?

I should start my own thread on this ... sorry if I hijacked it

I'm glad you brought this up because now I have to go find out more about this!!

THAT's delusional? omg... I have been delusional. A support group I attend for chronic pain has been hard for me to sit through because I really feel like they don't like me. We all got off of pain pills but still deal with pain (or not) and I'm the only one in there with a major psych diagnosis.

So then my head tells me that they don't like me, want me out of the group because I'm odd...

I frequently have to force myself to go - or I can stay home and lick invisible wounds that they probably know nothing about.

What's scary is that I won't bring it up.

Which leads to me telling my head "Thanks for sharing now shut the fuck up"

We meet Thursday, I might bring it up for shits and giggles. Then again, if I bring it up and their answers seem in any way fake, then I might not ever go again, which leads to a horrible sense of not belonging, which leads to self loathing and suicidal thoughts.

And then the depression....

Then, a few days later someone will say "hey, we miss you" and all will be well...for awhile.

WTF is up with THAT?

I just replied on another topic about this... methinks you're experiencing paranoia, you're not delusional... delusional is like, where you need someone else to tell you that the walls are not actually breathing as you're convinced that they are... hallucinations are more like, you know that the walls aren't *actually* breathing, but you can still see them breathing like they would if they were real....

so, in my tiny humble opinion, i'd wager that the original post would predominately be delusional (without excluding the other two)...

hopefully, someone can round this out better......?

Debbie have you ever been a victim of a violent crime or robbery? I'm wondering if this is all out of the blue or if you have some history that would make you super anxious about a break in. Read my post in the other thread about delusions and hallucinations. But basically it can be hard to separate psychosis from high anxiety about a certain trigger. I'm not going to attempt to figure that out about you, but if it is more of a fear based on something that happened before it may help to discuss it in detail with a therapist. If it is just a random thing that you get hung up on when you are having an episode, you can work on coping skills, but meds will probably help the most. Ok i feel like I'm rambling now. Good luck with it.

Once my delusions start there really is nothing I can do to make it go away. I even tell myself I'm delusional but I still don't have control over my racing thoughts and fixations, or actions.

Today I started fixing on someone on my facebook, they deleted two pictures of me and them together and I freaked out and sent them a long email asking why they did it and what I had done or said to offend them etc...

It was all completely crazy. I'm now so embarrassed. They replied they simply didn't like the way they looked in those two photos, duh ..why didn't I think of that ...b/c I'm delusional.

Sounds like the sort of thing I'd do !!!!

If someone does something totally random, I ASSUME its something I've done to upset them. Weird, eh?

Especially my wife - if she doesnt return my texts within minutes, thats it. Or forgets to put an x on the end of her message....

your fear should only be equal to the possibility that it could happen to you.

ie

gainesville property crime: 6%

So your house is being checked for a good break-in opportunity only 22 days out of the year.

That may sound overly paranoid, but I've been asked by police officers when I'm finally going to sell my house and move away from here. One of the local CSIs has been to my house more times than my mother!

I have become overwhelmed by the idea that someone is watching my house, planning a home invasion. I can't sleep at night. Sometimes I can picture the person in my mind, sometimes he looks like the devil. In my saner moments, i know this is crazy. I've never experienced anything quite like this. I've been trying to reassure myself, and am planning to get a security system to address the realistic possibility that someone could break in. But I can't function at night because I am so scared. I've tried upping my antipsychotic med (as allowed by my doctor), which helps some. But is there anything else I can do? I really don't want to go crazy yet again. When I tell myself I'm being crazy, the fear kicks in and says "but it could happen". That maybe I'm psychically in tune with something real, like a premonition. People get those from time to time, why not me? I'm afraid I may speak it into existence by believing it, at the same time that I'm afraid to be unprepared if I don't. How can I make myself see the truth? How can I evaluate realistic risk?

Hi Debbie,

The fact that you can recognise your delusions is significant because it means you are capable of directing your own recovery rather than having it forced upon you. Your anti-psychotic medication may need to be upped a bit - ask your doctor what she thinks. If you can, try to rely more on your support network to give you an indication of your risk - you shouldn't need to do it all on your own. A detached professional opinion may be just what you need... and, in my opinion, you can not talk your self out of a deep set delusion just as you can not be your own psychologist.

xSarah

Archived