CrazyBoards.org

I was scribed topamax to keep my Zyprexa weight gain in check. I however am uninsured and my pdoc doesnt have samples to give to me. I'm starting at 25mg at night. How has Topamax helped? What should I watch out for?

I was scribed topamax to keep my Zyprexa weight gain in check.
That's the first time I've seen it rx'ed for weight gain. That is a sometimes if at all side effect. It doesn't do shit for me weight wise, I'm on 50 per day, titrating up. I have been on it before and had similar negligible weight loss. I take it for migraine prevention.

I was scribed topamax to keep my Zyprexa weight gain in check.
That's the first time I've seen it rx'ed for weight gain. That is a sometimes if at all side effect.

It is at times rx'd for weight loss. As you say, it does not always work. With cognitive and other heavy duty side effects, and no insurance, I'd pass. Plus, I don't personally think 25 mg would do much in the weight loss department.

I think the weight loss effect only works around 40% of the time, if I remember correctly. I was on it for mood stabilization a few years ago and lost my insurance during that time. It ended up costing me almost $300 for 30 pills. It was $70 with good insurance. Not a cheap med. And the side effects are hellacious. You'll be complaining about them in no time. I'm with Velvis. Go with a stricter, lower carb diet.

Croix

I think the weight loss effect only works around 40% of the time, if I remember correctly.

Actually, I think I remember seeing that it's only significant (more than a few pounds) 10% of the time, or something ridiculously low like that.[citation needed] I really liked it when I took it, and it had minimal side effects for me, but it's pretty unreliable for weight loss, and that's not what I took it for.

I was rx'ed topamax for chaotic bulimia caused by insatiable Zyprexa hunger for which it did work. Didn't lose any weight through Topamax - I gained over 50lbs on Zyprexa and you know what shifted it? Eating an atkins like carb free diet just as Velvet Elvis suggested, not topamax.

blackbird x

It sounds like you need better communication with your pdoc. It helps me if I write down some questions and concerns ahead of time and bring them up in my appointment. Some examples would be what symptoms you are having and what meds he would suggest for them specifically. Always have a pen and paper ready at your appointments too. It is hard to remember everything, especially if you are symptomatic. I would give pdoc a call and ask what you asked here. After all, he is working for you, and hopefully, with you also.

I took the topamax after emailing my doc. he clarified that he rxd it for mood stabilization and a little appetite suppression, if it doesnt work, we'll titrate down. i just noticed that I woke up without a song in my head, which is new, i usually have a lot of stuff in my head when i wake up, intrusive thoughts, bits of music, memories popping in and out. im crossing my fingers as it feels really great to have a quiet mind.

I was just prescribed topamax for insomnia and additional stabilization...taking first 25mg tonight. I hate to read the vendor side effects listing as I don't want to know everything. If someone wants to mention what they've experienced on topamax that would be good.

Good luck to us both, carmex!

Gracie.

My cognitive experience of Topamax has been rather like being belted upside the head with a deck piling after a good stiff swig of chloral hydrate and being spun around on a chair real fast. And I kinda sorta make my living with my brain, like most of us. It's certainly not with my looks or my charm.

Thinking is really important to me. Like most of us.

They like me where I work and so I haven't been fired. I have a lot of institutional memory, what can I say. (Not much memory otherwise. I'm on the... whazzitcalled... Topple... Topamax!)

Look. I got all confused trying to put on my sweater on Topamax.

My sweater is a pullover. It doesn't even have a zipper.

Works well for seizures. No migraines (which weren't crippling for me, but that's still nice.) That's the only reason I still take it. It is not exaggerating to say that my memory was better when I returned from ECT than it is on this damned drug.

Mood-wise? Oh, yeah. Fucked me up a few ways from Tuesday, as it turned out. So we've had to mess with the dose. YMMV.

We're still working out the details, apparently.

Understatement: It's not the best mood stabilizer for most people. When it works, it's fabulous. When it doesn't work, it's horrid. Here's how my relatively young and hip neurologist described it (I'm not kidding): "It's kind of like Jagermeister. Most people have a strong opinion one way or the other."

I'm evidently one of the people with 'temporal lobe issues' per neurology and per EEG. And it's still not a great mood stabilizer for me. It does work fairly well for the seizures. The mood disorder's still there - improved in some interesting ways, still there in some other very classic manic-depressive ones.

So... giving Topamax "for weight loss" would be a really bad idea. Nalgas, I'll look for your cite tomorrow. The weight loss effect is dose dependent (as are the cognitive effects and the kidney stones. Yay!)

The only thing that I can think of that would be MORE asinine... would be giving Zonegran "for weight loss," which would probably, if a psychiatrist suggested it to me, be grounds for walking out of the office. (And, note, if a psychiatrist suggested either of those for other reasons, and then offered a careful rationale as well as some thorough cautions, I'd listen to her or him. But "for weight loss?" I don't fucking think so, my dear. Especially Zonegran. Zonegran's a weird, weird drug. I'd still be skeptical if it were suggested for mood 'stabilization,' actually.)

That being said... Topamax is very good for impulse control disorders for a lot of people (binge eating/purging, as in bulimia, as blackbird mentioned; used in binge drinking; used in binge gambling; used in cutting and other self-mutilative behaviors; used in the verbal tic disorders.)

It has never given me 1/20th the quiet mind that lithium does. It gives me a fucking ABSENT mind. I don't have a quiet mind that allows me to find depth. It's more of a wading pool. And I'm lost in it. What? Where am I? Hey! I'm in a pool! What was the question?

It's given me this whole new insight into what it's like to be an inbred Irish Setter.

Totally different phenomenon for me than what Carmex describes.

Not that I'm bitter or anything.

It truly is one of the major YMMV drugs.

I love my experience with Topamax. I was given it in the hospital when I went in because I was depressed from Depakote. I started on 25mg 2x/day, then after 5 days I went up to 50mg 2x/day then 5 days after that I went up to 100mg 2x/day which is where I sit now. I have not had side effects from the Topamax that I am aware of. I take it for bipolar disorder and it's my "wonder drug". It's kept me stable since October 27th 2008. I've not found a better mood stabilizer since. The only thing is where this drug could cause weight loss, I've only maintained my weight, but that's still just as good. Still on it too and it keeps me stable. No mania and no depression.

Good Luck...

CNS, the reason I said I didn't want to read ALL the side effects on the vendor site, etc is I'm suggestible. I will get the them if I read them. I thought I would get fewer if you guys mentioned yours.

Thanks.

Gracie.

I was as dumb as a rock for the first month and then nothing side-effect wise. I'm taking it for tics and to keep wellbutrin from frying my temporal lobes too badly. I'm taking 100 mgs in the AM. I need to go up on the dose but can't afford it until it goes generic later this year.

CNS, the reason I said I didn't want to read ALL the side effects on the vendor site, etc is I'm suggestible. I will get the them if I read them. I thought I would get fewer if you guys mentioned yours.

That's great and everything, but what he meant is that there are a hundred threads on this site, in this particular sub-forum that already deal with that, because you're not the first one to show up here wondering what it might be like. If you poke around a bit, you'll find that a lot of basic/general questions like that have already been answered a dozen times each.

My cognitive experience of Topamax has been rather like being belted upside the head with a deck piling after a good stiff swig of chloral hydrate and being spun around on a chair real fast. And I kinda sorta make my living with my brain, like most of us. It's certainly not with my looks or my charm.

Thinking is really important to me. Like most of us.

I like that description.

Oh, my life *changed* once I went on Dopamax. In school, I was one of the "brains." You know, every single advanced class, high SAT scores, had more than a full years worth of college credits under my belt by the time I *started* to college. Somehow, though, (oh, and we're in college now) the A's that I was easily getting (and keep in mind that I never took and intro class, I started at upper levels), turned into C's. Logically, I could tell that the work was *not* harder, so that is not an excuse that can be used. So, from then on, I was a dumbass... and still am.

See? That sucked. I can't even tell a good story.

Oh, another one that sticks out in my head, just because it was weird... I couldn't taste/sense carbonation (you know, soda) for literally two years. It was really odd. Then it just came back all of a sudden.

But, as others have said, YMMV.

Archived