CrazyBoards.org

Seroquel and pounding/racing heart

Hi all,

I've been on Seroquel for close to 2 years now, at varying doses, but have been doing 400 mg at bedtime (9 pm) for just about a year now. Some nights it hardly seems to do anything, some nights it hits me like a ton of bricks. Every so often I'd have mild spells of a softly pounding heart. But last night was really something. My heart was beating so hard and fast I felt like I couldn't catch my breath. It went away after about an hour, but while I was happening I was actually scared I might die.

(Don't get me wrong, I'd rather be dead than go off Seroquel; it's the only thing that has ever touched my mania.)

I don't get why this would suddenly happen after so long being on this med with only mild, sporadic side effects. What gives?

Tx,

Newt

I have also been on 400mg of Seroquel. Several years ago I was taking 100mg at bedtime. An hour after taking it I had the same symptoms you have. My heart would be pounding so fast I couldn't take my pulse and I swore I was about to die. The pdoc refused to believe it was meds. She treated my for panic attacks. I took an EEG and it was normal. Once I stopped taking it the 'panic attacks' completely stopped.

I tried Seroquel again a year ago and at 400mg I still get mild heart palpitations after taking it. If I take my ambien I fall asleep before I can experience the side effects of Seroquel. My new pdoc has offered Seroquel XR so it doesn't hit me so hard after I take it. Maybe you could try that? I haven't tried it yet.

Good luck.

I had the same problem. Night times were horrible with the beating heart and panic. The PIL mentions tachychardia (the same thing) as a side effect though.

When I was switched to the XR version it disappeared. Enough to make me get down on my knees again and praise the Lords of Science.

Archived