CrazyBoards.org

cymbalta to remeron

I totally forget what my doctor said about switching. I was a little distracted.

I do know that I have to totally go off the cymbalta for at least two days which i'm currently taking 90mgs of, before I start the 30mgs of Remeron.

How slow should I taper down? Should I titrate the Remeron or just take the 30mgs so I don't get too drowsy?

Honestly right now sleeping for 13 hours doesn't sound all that bad ;)

My doctor warned be about the changeover being "rough". Why? Ssri discontinuation, or because I will likely feel even more depressed for the two days i'm on nothing? Any clues?

I cross tapered from Cymbalta to Remeron, starting 15 mgs of Remeron when down to 30 mgs of Cym. I was also on Wellbutrin at the time, so that could have eased the discontinuation from Cymbalta.

The discontinuation effects are so incredibly idiosyncratic that I really don't think there's a way to predict what will happen.

And anyway, if the Cymbalta isn't working, you're going to have to quit it at some point, so why not now and get it over with.

Remeron has a tendency to be more sedating at 15 mgs than at 30, maybe because at 30 there's more norepinephrine happening.

All of the SNRIs have a bad rap for discontinuation. Some people get it, some don't. If you do, try to keep reminding yourself that it's a drug thing and not your true base state peeking through.

• 2 weeks later...

Remeron has a tendency to be more sedating at 15 mgs than at 30, maybe because at 30 there's more norepinephrine happening.

I'm so glad to hear this. My pdoc prescribed REmeron, 15 mg yesterday, took first dose last night. She wanted a 2-in-1 (AD and sleep aid) because I have 2 kids, 2 1/2 and 5 months, anad haven't slept in 2 1/2 years and am so exhausted. My son (2 1/2 years old) is suspected ASD and so forth so has been difficult 2 1/2 years, blah blah blah. (don't want to hijack thread too much.)

However, I am so drowsy this morning and it's not wearing off that it is making me even more grouchy than my previous state of sleep deprivation was. So slept great last night even though had to get up at 2:45 to feed baby but am thinking REmeron won't work if it keeps me drowsy 24/7. I need something that wears off after a.m. but isn't addictive (like normal sleep aid, e.g., Ambien.)

Maybe in 3 weeks at checkin with pdoc, can suggest upping to 30mg.

• 2 weeks later...

Cymbalta/Remeron major interaction

Concomitant use of agents with serotonergic activity such as ... may potentiate the risk of serotonin syndrome, which is a rare but serious and potentially fatal condition thought to result from hyperstimulation of brainstem 5-HT1A and 2A receptors.

In general, the concomitant use of multiple serotonergic agents should be avoided if possible, or otherwise approached with caution if potential benefit is deemed to outweigh the risk

Hm taking them together on my own probably isn't smart.

A couple more days of hell vs. serotonin syndrome might be worth it.

Archived