CrazyBoards.org

I'm afraid I'm becoming manic.

For starters I am dx'd : OCD, anxiety issues, and tentative BP II, raid cycling. The BP diagnosis was made by one pdoc and the next pdoc isn't sure he agrees so he decided to try and treat the symptoms and not worry about the dx I guess.

So in the past they thought I just had depression. 4 or 5 years ago I was tried on celexa, paxil, zoloft, and effexor. But the pdoc was a quack and he did 2 weeks on one, 1 week on another, 3 weeks on the next, 1 week on the last and by then I was so down right fucked up I just stopped the meds and stopped seeing him all together. I guess you can imagine why.

So the new pdoc (after 4 or 5 years) at first wants to try mood stabilizers (as this is the one who believes I am BP II). He tries me on tegretol with risperdal. I get a rash. Off we go. The next pdoc tries me on Depakote and Seroquel. No reduction in symptoms. So he wants to try effexor because I neve had a true run on it. So here I am after being on it for only 3 days and I feel very funny. The first day or so I felt better than usual. Funny I thought, the med probably isn't even working in me yet! Then the next day I was .... normalish? And today, I feel like my body is all a buzz, my head is filled with thoughts, and .... this feeling.... is.... odd. I feel like I am not in me at times. Like, I don't know. Just. Odd.

I guess what I am wondering is if I am indeed Bipolar and the Effexor is making me manic how fast could it do this?

And what else should I watch for?

And what should I do?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

A very jittery,

Echo

PS. I'm going to take some klonopin when I get home from picky my hubby up. I hope it helps.

One of the beauties of BP is the wide range of symptoms from one person to another.  If you are bipolar, your manifestation is uniquely yours.  Only a qualified pdoc can make the correct diagnosis. 

However, you can help by paying attention to your moods and being honest with the pdoc.  When I was officially diagnosed, I was rather obsessive about analyzing my mood.  I began to see the cycling and recognize it as such.  I personally don't have the classic BPI mania.  I tend to rapid-cycle.  I experience hypomania for a couple of days and then a couple of days to a couple of weeks of feeling really agitated and irratible.  Then the inevitable crash.  And then I get to do it all over again.  But that's just me. 

I know that reading others posts and seeing how they felt helped me to put a name to the things I was feeling. 

As far as Effexor pushing you into a manic state, that is beyond my knowledge.  I know the couple of times I tried an AD when I was cycling it made it a lot worse.  But I am very med-sensitive, so YMMV. 

HTH.

The next pdoc tries me on Depakote and Seroquel. No reduction in symptoms. So he wants to try effexor because I neve had a true run on it.

I find it interesting that the guy who says you never had a true run on any AD took you off Depakote so quickly.  Huh.

How are you feeling today?  I think some startup weirdness is normal, so unless you start really climbing the walls, I'd stick it out for at least a week before reporting back.  Just MHO.  I know how easy it is to be hyper-alert for manic symptoms right now!

What else to watch for?  Well ... the standard mania mnemonic is DIGFAST:

• Distractibility -- jumping from activity to activity;
  • Insomnia -- decreased need for sleep or an inability to sleep;
  • Grandiosity -- increased self-confidence to delusional grandiosity;
  • Flight of ideas -- racing thoughts," "mind moving too fast," or "mind crowded with thoughts";
  • Activity -- increased mental or physical activity with ideas, plans, projects, keen insight, etc;
  • Speech -- talkative, noticeably more social. In extreme cases, talking too fast to be understood; and
  • Thoughtlessness -- decisions made with little or no thought of negative consequences, eg, romantic or financial indiscretions, driving recklessly, traveling impulsively, or with little planning.

Here's an online Mania Questionnaire that looks like it might be good.

The definition you usually find of hypomania (like at this site is "the same as mania, but not as extreme or destructive; does not interfere with life".  Ha!  Personally I find that definition very unsatisfactory.  Especially when you get into dysphoric hypomania.  I just found this article though, and I love it.

Thanks everyone for your insight and advice. I really appreciate it. It's nice to hear from those who are experienced in this area as I am somewhat new to the whole BP diagnosis and have not been keen on interpreting signs and symptoms until recently.

Gretl - Thanks for all the links! I took the mania questionaire and scored 48 which is supposed to mean "Moderate to Severe Mania". I am definitely going to mention this whole idea to my pdoc. I have noticed myself using my klonopin a lot more than usual as well to calm the irritable anxiety ridden thoughts and buzz and jitteryness and I actually look forward to the drugged-out state I enter once I take my nightly meds because it allows me to shut down and relax just a teensy bit. This is worrisome to me.

I am feeling alright today, thanks for asking. My moods have been all over the place though. I was really bad last night.  ;)

This pdoc is a bit of a weirdo, eh? I don't know what he's trying to do but whatever it is I really hope it starts working soon. I have a whole bunch of life changing events occuring over the next few monthes and I want to be stable or else my regular craziness with the added craziness or everything else might just push me right off the edge. 

Synthetic - I also rapid cycle but rather than in days, more in hours. Rapid cycling of any sort is a new sort of awful when added in with all of the other wonderful world of bipolar things we deal with. Thanks for sharing with me.

Sun zoom -

Weird and very mysterious indeed.

Echo, I picked up something from your original post, and just ignore it if it's off, but--

Your first doc sounds like my first pdoc, except he did the same thing on AC mood stabilizers (three weeks on this, three weeks on that, took me off anything if I had the least little side effect), and I fired him when he left me on wellbutrin alone and I blew into a psychotic mixed stated I-don't-know-what.

But you mention that when the next pdoc's first shot at meds didn't work you switched docs.  Remember that these guys work for you, and that finding the right med combo is partly an art.  If you're starting to spin out and it lasts more than a day or two, you need to call the pdoc and let him know.  He can either do a phone consult or make an appointment to adjust meds.  Most pdocs want to see you in person to do med changes, if only for liability reasons.  Mine will take emails but needs to see me in person, even though I've been with him over 5 years.  True, you need to give meds a good trial period, but he may need to add or adjust something else so you don't lose it in the meantime.  And he needs to build up a knowledg of you and how you react to things.

And in the meantime, it's the weekend, so put the number of a local crisis line on your fridge and don't be afraid to call it if you get in a bad state.  That's what they're there for.  And the ER too, just in case.  You want to stay safe.  The worst probably won't happen, but if you're cycling sometimes just having the bases covered feels better.

Archived