CrazyBoards.org

Weird Xanax reaction

Well my Pdoc has put me back on Benzo's again to help control my anxiety, he is fairly liberal with dosages and is letting me pick what is best for me.

I am taking 20mg of Valium (was on it for 18 months before an 8 week break) and Xanax for the first time. I am to give my Pdoc a call after a week to check if it is working, if not we will try Clonazepam.

With the Xanax I started off with 0.5mg 3 times a day, but found that the dosage wasn't doing much at all, so I upped it to 0.5 in the morning then 1mg for the next two doses. The reaction I am having is nothing at all what I expected. My physical anxiety has risen, yet my cognitive functions have improved. I am feeling much more anxious and panicy but I am no longer worring about what I am saying, I am more confident in myself and what I do plus my speech has improved (unless I run late taking a dose then I can't string a sentance together). So really it's makes me feel horrible and panicky, yet I am performing better at work.

Has anyone else experienced a similar reaction? Will it go away? And any ideas if I should stick with the Valium + Xanax or switch to Clonazepam.

Well my Pdoc has put me back on Benzo's again to help control my anxiety, he is fairly liberal with dosages and is letting me pick what is best for me.

I am taking 20mg of Valium (was on it for 18 months before an 8 week break) and Xanax for the first time. I am to give my Pdoc a call after a week to check if it is working, if not we will try Clonazepam.

With the Xanax I started off with 0.5mg 3 times a day, but found that the dosage wasn't doing much at all, so I upped it to 0.5 in the morning then 1mg for the next two doses. The reaction I am having is nothing at all what I expected. My physical anxiety has risen, yet my cognitive functions have improved. I am feeling much more anxious and panicy but I am no longer worring about what I am saying, I am more confident in myself and what I do plus my speech has improved (unless I run late taking a dose then I can't string a sentance together). So really it's makes me feel horrible and panicky, yet I am performing better at work.

Has anyone else experienced a similar reaction? Will it go away? And any ideas if I should stick with the Valium + Xanax or switch to Clonazepam.

Hey

I do know that a friend of mine gets paradoxical effects on benzos which make her super alert and restless, as well as more productive. It's rare according to the PIL, though. Is there a reason you're not taking Valium on its own? I would personally stay on the Valium, as I have done prn as I prefer to know it's less addictive, but you need to talk to your doc and see what he says about the increased anxiety. Not sure about Clonazepam as it's only licensed for epilepsy in my country (i know..). I do know it's seen as the gold standard benzo for many disorders such as HPPD and DP/DR in the US and also has a shorter half-life than Valium, but I am sure you knew that.

Good luck.

Thanks Amy, Clonazepam is only licensed for epilipsy in my country as well, but doctors are able to write private scrips that bypass the government restrictions. Funnily enough a private script for Clonazepam is cheaper than a government subsidised one for epilepsy. Also weird is that there are strong addiction warnings surrounding Clonazepam, but not for Xanax which is the only benzo that is approved for long term anxiety scripts.

I would of liked to stay on the Valium by itself but after 18 months taking 20mg a day I became tolerant to it and my anxiety was getting out of control agian. The plan I have with my doc is to only change one thing at a time, we are trying to find something to control my Anxiety then to try and find a new antidepressant.

I suffer from anxiety 24/7 of varying levels. What I need is something that help me over 24 hours but also be strong enough to prevent any panic attacks. I was hoping the Valium + Xanax combo would do that.

Thanks Amy, Clonazepam is only licensed for epilipsy in my country as well, but doctors are able to write private scrips that bypass the government restrictions. Funnily enough a private script for Clonazepam is cheaper than a government subsidised one for epilepsy. Also weird is that there are strong addiction warnings surrounding Clonazepam, but not for Xanax which is the only benzo that is approved for long term anxiety scripts.

I would of liked to stay on the Valium by itself but after 18 months taking 20mg a day I became tolerant to it and my anxiety was getting out of control agian. The plan I have with my doc is to only change one thing at a time, we are trying to find something to control my Anxiety then to try and find a new antidepressant.

I suffer from anxiety 24/7 of varying levels. What I need is something that help me over 24 hours but also be strong enough to prevent any panic attacks. I was hoping the Valium + Xanax combo would do that.

[/quote

I'm sorry to hear about your bad anxiety..That is strange about the Clonazepam and addiction as it has a longer half-life than Xanax according to benzo.org.uk, which would make it less addictive, you'd think.

I have heard so many people rave about Clonazepam for various disorders/symptoms that it might be the best for you. Your doctor would probably be able to give you a better idea as to why you've had this weird reaction to the Xanax and Valium combo, but it's great that you can get the Klonopin as it seems to be one of those people hold up as a great benzo. Of course, your mileage may vary.

good luck

Spoke to my doctor on the phone today and he had never heard of anyone experiencing my reaction. He told me to bump my dosage up to 2mg three times a day and give him another call tomorrow. So far 1mg or 2mg feels the same to me and only lasts around 3 hours max.

• 2 weeks later...

I switched to Clonazepam (Rivotril) a bit over a week ago and it has been the best thing that has ever happened to me in my life! I am taking 1mg 3 times a day and for the first time in my life I am starting to feel half normal.

It hasn't been a mircle cure, I still have a long way to go, but at least I have found something that actually helps. I wonder why there is such a stigma around prescribing it in my country.

Your commented reaction is extreme, but Benzos are well known to decrease inhibition, hence your 'confidence', outgoing expression etc. There are conditions for which Pdocs don't rx benzos because of the increased risk of suicide.

Clonezapam/Rivotril/Klonopin is longer acting than plain Xanax. Xanax is also available in Extended Release (XR) which gives a longer smoother action (my preference).

Glad things are working out.

a.m.

<br />I switched to Clonazepam (Rivotril) a bit over a week ago and it has been the best thing that has ever happened to me in my life! I am taking 1mg 3 times a day and for the first time in my life I am starting to feel half normal. <br /><br />It hasn't been a mircle cure, I still have a long way to go, but at least I have found something that actually helps. I wonder why there is such a stigma around prescribing it in my country.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Great that you found something that helps! The problem with Xanax is its short half-life, and tolerance builds up reasonably quickly.

Your reaction to Xanax reminded me of a time when I could pop Valium by the handful and it made no difference. Thankfully that passed ;)

The prejudice of the medical establishment in favour/against certain drugs is mind-boggling. For me, Xanax is about the only drug that can stop a panic attack in its tracks, but it is not approved for use in the UK (at least in England) and I have to get it on private prescription (it's a lot cheaper than the official NHS prescription--generics often are). On the other hand, SSRIs are explicitly recommended for the treatment of BPD. I have vague memories of waving knives at people when I was on Seroxat, but who listens to the patients...

Well back to square one, I wanted to stop Cymbalta because I didn't feel it was doing much, worst decision of my life. I was told to go from 120mg to 60mg for a week then stop completely. Past two weeks have been living hell, I came so close to suicide last weekend it was scary. Doctor put me back on Cymbalta 60mg today, he couldn't think of anything better, hopefully I can make it through the next couple of weeks. But hey, at least no panic attacks. Not used to side effects, had none coming on Cymbalta, none coming off Dothiepin.

Archived