CrazyBoards.org

I'm re-posting this in a new thread to see if anyone can answer my questions.

I just went up to 5mg abilify and it definitely makes me sleepy (one of the lucky ones if you ask me) so I take it at night. I'm also very surprised at how fast it works. Yesterday I was a crazed, angry, irritated bitch and today the world is such a lovely place its ridiculous.

Is it me or does it really work this fast?

Whats the average dosage?

Can I expect to feel like this for decent periods of time (happy to see the sun out*)?

* I can tell when I'm down, on the way down, anywhere near down when I'm disappointed to see the sun.

Thanks.

Gracie

I'm on 25 mg. I believe the average dosage is 15-20 mg for psychotic disorders.

I don't think I experienced the effect that quickly, like sylvan said; it sneaks up on me. My doc said it could take up to six weeks before you notice any effect, maybe months for full effect. I was titrating for four months, and things got gradually better. Like you, I got sleepy a short while after taking it in the beginning, but that only lasted a few days. I haven't experienced any side effects from it, not even the activating effect (sadly).

Here's the PI sheet for Abilfy: PRESCRIBING INFORMATION

I've been on it for five months, and I feel pretty decent ;)

I just went up to 5mg abilify and it definitely makes me sleepy

It doesn't make me sleepy.

I'm at 30mg. Upping the dosage was a little bumpy, I ended up having to lower it after raising it and then trying it one more time.

Is it me or does it really work this fast?

Generally, I haven't heard of it working this fast nor do I remember it working that fast, though I think I did notice some difference within a weekish as far as my poor memory lets me recall.

Whats the average dosage?

It depends on what you are treating. For depression, I believe it's 5-10mg but for bipolar it can be up to 30.

Can I expect to feel like this for decent periods of time (happy to see the sun out*)?

If it's the right med for you, I don't see why not.

Im currently taking ten mg because I am also taking seroquel. I had an almost immediate effect the most profound oddly enough was a major decrease in my OCD which was huge and worth taking the med ...the cost for me is the most difficult thing toswallow fortunately I have insurance but what about those who dont having to fork out over $500 a month is crazy in itself ok sorrry Im just rambling saw we had at least one thing in common with the abilify it has done wonders so far after six months but now I am needing to up the dose or tweak some other meds.

hang in there and thanks for sharing this place ROCKS

much love, giddyupndown

I am also taking 10 mg./day in the AM. I was down at 5 mg. for about a year when my pdoc raised me back up to 10 because I was having some stressful events in my life. I don't remember it working overly quickly, but it seems to help (and gives me horrible twitching which we control with Cogentin).

Tommy

• 3 months later...

I have been on Abilify for about 3 weeks now, from 5mg now up to 10mg/day. The worst part I have had is the akathisia, which seems to be getting a little better. I have noticed some periodic waves of negative or depressive thoughts. I am also taking 2mg xanax/day and 100mg/zoloft, I am not sure how well it is mixing with those but seems ok overall. I am debating on going up to 15mg/day on the abilify.

I took 2mg of Abilify for 5 days, then 4mg for 8 days (I think). I couldn't deal with the side effects. My pdoc wanted to titrate me to 10mg, which was supposed to be upped on the day I quit taking it, but he told me to discontinue due to akathisia, drastically increased anxiety and the possibility that my mood was a bit too elevated (and other crappy side effects...I keep logs).

The normal dosage is up to 10mg for bipolar or treatment resistant depression while higher doses are effective for psychotic disorders and mania (15mg+). Or so they say. ;)

From what other people have said, I think this is a drug that either works or it doesn't, and everyone is different. For me, it was a no-go. I hope your experience is better than mine!

just chimming in. i took abilify 2.5mg to start with my AD effexor 225mg at the time. i was quickly moved up to 15mg in addition to the effexor and no it did not make me sleepy and yes i did all of the sudden feel like i had this strange sense of clarity. like i was thinking correctly and responding/reacting to things the way you are supposed to. this lasted for a few months, 6 at the most, before things went a little sour again so we upped to 20mg and then to 30mg with no change between the 15mg and the higher doses. we ended up taking me off of abilify compeltely and moving onto other meds, none of which have worked but i now present a more interesting case since i'm pregnant and no longer have the world of pharmacueticals at my finger tips.

but yeah, if you feel good at the dose you are on and it continues. still too it. and good for you if it helps you sleep, that's always a good sign, in my book at least! so stick with it. sounds like you are doing very good!

-kristine

I am going to have to stop the Abilify if these negative thougths don't quit soon. I started Xanax and Abilify at the same time and I think it is the Abilify causing this. I miss Seroquel but I don't miss the EPS it caused.

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I've been trying to read the posts on Abilify as that is what I have a question about. I have looked up info on the Web, but can't seem to determine if the insomnia will go away. Has anyone had this problem? And does it go away? This is day 4 at 2.5 mg, along w/150 mg Zoloft, 45 mg Buspar, and 10 mg Flexeril at night. I must have slept cause I remember a dream, but I woke up earlier than usual and could not go back to sleep.

Thanks,

Vicky

Guest Vapourware

I started on 15mg Abilify and have now halved to 7.5mg because it wasn't really working for me. Looking back, it didn't do a whole lot to my depression but it did help with my delusional thinking. I really appreciate not having akasthesia now that I've halved the dosage, I didn't like the feeling of restlessness when I was trying to concentrate.

It also made me extremely drowsy so the first week was rough!

@Vicky: Sorry I can't help you, I wasn't one of the ones activated by the drug but maybe give it a few more days. Insomnia is unfortunately a side-effect of Abilify.

I have had a interesting relationship wioth abilify, like others mentioned above it really helped straighten out my thinking processes. I was racing like hell and it was so hard to even pray coherently at bedtime I was beyond frustrated. It was the med that made me accept the dx of BP II. I had two professionals dx me as BP II but i dismissed the first one, a counselor, simply because I didn't want to deal with it-I thought if I denied it it would go away. Boy was I wrong. Well a second counselor later after the first one left the state, I decided two people can't be wrong, so I gave an AAP a try and we went with Risperdal, it helped a lot, but I had tingling in my lips and tongue and that scared me as did the fifteen pound weight gain.

We went to abilfy and I was up to 30 mgs. It was around 20 that I began to feel the effects of it straightening out my thinking like nothing had before. I was stable on it for years before my medicare part d (seems to change every year) stopped covering it and sent me a dear jane letter, stating that I had to try less expensive drugs first. Well we put me on seroquel-this was when the second counselor had left the county and I was working with my PCP floundaring until a new pdoc appt a few months away. So the seroquel did nothing for me but put me to sleep big time. And I take trazadone for that so no problem sleeping. Anyway, after t hat failed drug trial was over the new pdoc got me back on abilify by writing a letter about the failed drugs I had tried, including the risperdal and the part d approved my abilify again. I know I couldn't afford it without insurance. It's insane it's $500 bucks for 30 20 mg tablets, that is what I am up to now, the new pdoc isn't comfortable doing over 20 mgs. She says that 10-15 is a good sizable dose but I begged for 20 and she agreed. It took 20 before I felt like my old self and it took ages to titer up again.

When I went off it and onto the seroquel cold turkey, OMG I had nine days of migraine hell. It was awful! I am grateful I don't have to worry about that for awhile. Hope the abilify is still working for you. :) This place does ROCK! I agree fully! ;)

I started on 15mg Abilify and have now halved to 7.5mg because it wasn't really working for me. Looking back, it didn't do a whole lot to my depression but it did help with my delusional thinking. I really appreciate not having akasthesia now that I've halved the dosage, I didn't like the feeling of restlessness when I was trying to concentrate.

It also made me extremely drowsy so the first week was rough!

@Vicky: Sorry I can't help you, I wasn't one of the ones activated by the drug but maybe give it a few more days. Insomnia is unfortunately a side-effect of Abilify.

Hi, thanks for your comment! That sounds funny, doesn't it, being activated by a drug? I seem to be a tad over-activated, jittery and moving around a lot (is that akasthesia or whatever?) , energetic, yet kind of sleepy. It's actually not that unpleasant, just different. Well, I'll give it a few more days and see what happens. Too bad the abilify did not work for you.

How is the Pristiq working for you?

Take care!

Guest Vapourware

The jittery feeling might be akathesia, I had this compulsion to move around constantly when I was on 15mg. It was really annoying. I'm actually quite happy with it on 7.5mg at present but we'll see what happens. If it continues to go well, I might stay with 7.5mg.

The Pristiq is okay for now, I'm still getting used to it but it seems promising ;)

Archived