CrazyBoards.org

US doctors pay to hear Ore. town's vaccine views

Interesting.

I got angsty over getting the boys vaccinated. They are, of course, fine. In retrospect, I worried more about whether or not to circumcise them.

I believe this is going to be a hotly contested issue in the years to come. I have had my kids literally turned away from school when I missed a booster shot.

I don't understand why people are getting paid 50$?

What is that all about?

That makes me go thump.

My mom was a schoolnurse for a while and had to deal with people who were lax on having their kids vaccinated. It gets ugly.

I don't understand why people are getting paid 50$?
My guess is they are part of a "focus group"? I don't know. I've done that before and gotten paid, but it certainly didn't make the news! And it wasn't about something as critical as whether or not we, as a nation, vaccinate our kids--which seemed kind of the gist of where this debate is going.

My mom was a schoolnurse for a while and had to deal with people who were lax on having their kids vaccinated. It gets ugly.
I can imagine. I have never been a belligerent parent. It just doesn't' pay, and ESPECIALLY over issues that people like the School Nurse have absolutely no control over. I have, however, seen belligerent parents in action and you're right, it ain't pretty!

yesterday's episode of Private Practice explored a mother's views on vaccinations. One was vaccinated and she blamed his autism on the vaccination, the second got a bad case of the measles (wasn't vaccinated) and the third isn't vaccinated and the doctors are telling her she is being irresponsible because her some with the measles is dying. Of course, it is more complicated, but i can't explain the whole episode.

Vaccinations are important to people like me. I've had all my shots and boosters and yet I got the mumps back in 2005. For the SECOND fucking time. When I was little I had three day measles for a fucking year. I got chicken pox twice.

Vaccinations are about protecting the herd. Sure, you're always going to have the susceptible few (like me) that they don't shit for but that's not the point. The point is that if the majority don't get sick then it won't get spread.

Then if the majority don't get sick, then people like me won't get sick. People who genuinely can't take the shots because they have life-threatening reactions to them will be safer. Jeez.

Sorry, but this really pisses me off.

Vaccinations are about protecting the herd. ....

Then if the majority don't get sick, then people like me won't get sick.

Exactly. Darwinism...IMO, or something like that.

Or in this case, we're trying to prevent nature from taking its "course."

I'd say that Maddy explained it a little bit backwards, though.

It's the herd immunity that protects the few individuals who are immunocompromised or who get really nasty reactions to vaccines from coming in contact with infectious diseases. As herd immunity (the percent of the population that is vaccinated) gets reduced, the likelihood of all of us coming in contact with dangerous pathogens increases. Again, the immunocompromised, etc., would get screwed the hardest, but a lot of other people (mostly the unvaccinated--but not just them, since most vaccines aren't 100% effective) could get sick and maybe even die, too. In the end, herd immunity protects us all.

P.S. I'd so never want to watch a kid with whooping cough!

Edited for clarity

Perhaps it's because vaccines, on the whole, are so effective that these people don't realize what the world they want to live in is really like.

There are very good reasons that so much effort went into creating vaccines against smallpox, polio, measles, pertussis, yellow fever, etc. Maybe they just prefer to bury their children and elderly neighbors if an outbreak hits their community.

Artemsia - thanks for explaining it better than I could. I'm barf-a-delic at the moment and very doped. Kids are the best bio-weapons around.

Maybe they just prefer to bury their children and elderly neighbors if an outbreak hits their community.
Death would probably be preferable to them than the ZOMG AUTISM! But that's just my theory.

Personally, I think it's the ultimate in selfishness and self-centeredness that they can't think outside of their own children and themselves to think of the harm that they could be causing others. But that's just me and my opinion.

...and welcome to my reality.

You can be naked in the park as long as you're not "visibly aroused."

There is a very strong element (large number of people) in Ashland who use Traditional Chinese Medicine and other holistic approaches. Many of them view vaccines as unnecessary risks to their children's health, particularly with some of the poor outcomes related to Aspergers'/autism. Oregon has a higher than average rate of Aspy/Autism, no one's really sure why.

So its a weird mix of hippy-dippy new age woo-ey meets highly educated older parents who don't embrace western medicine so much.

But there's a decent sushi resturaunt and its a GREAT place to visit (we have a guest room).

Peace,

Woo

Artemsia - thanks for explaining it better than I could. I'm barf-a-delic at the moment and very doped. Kids are the best bio-weapons around.

I hope you recover fast! I hate having to puke...

What you said wasn't actually backwards. I'm not thinking too fast myself.

To think we've come up with some compelling reasons for vaccinating kids an we haven't even discussed that there's absolutely no evidence that vaccines cause autism.

I wonder if the reason they can't find statistically significant results in these studies is because there may be many causes of autism and their samples may include people who ended up with autism for all those different reasons.

All I know is that when I hear a mother say to me that her child was talking, making eye contact and progressing normally, then stopped all of that within 2 weeks of a vaccine it makes me wonder. This is the story I was told by a former client's mother. He had autism. Regardless of what the cause is, it would definitely be nice to know. Now where do I go for my 50 bucks??

To think we've come up with some compelling reasons for vaccinating kids an we haven't even discussed that there's absolutely no evidence that vaccines cause autism.

I wonder if the reason they can't find statistically significant results in these studies is because there may be many causes of autism and their samples may include people who ended up with autism for all those different reasons.

All I know is that when I hear a mother say to me that her child was talking, making eye contact and progressing normally, then stopped all of that within 2 weeks of a vaccine it makes me wonder. This is the story I was told by a former client's mother. He had autism. Regardless of what the cause is, it would definitely be nice to know. Now where do I go for my 50 bucks??

I think that people honestly don't notice (or don't want to notice) that something is wrong until they can blame something else. (My opinion only.)

I know that w/my niece we never noticed that she didn't talk, didn't make eye contact, etc. at three because that's the norm for our family. Frankly, babblers in our family are not the norm. Kids that enjoyed being played with, picked up and cuddled are different. That would be the odd kid out. At least in our family.

I think that people honestly don't notice (or don't want to notice) that something is wrong until they can blame something else. (My opinion only.)

I know that w/my niece we never noticed that she didn't talk, didn't make eye contact, etc. at three because that's the norm for our family. Frankly, babblers in our family are not the norm. Kids that enjoyed being played with, picked up and cuddled are different. That would be the odd kid out. At least in our family.

It is similar with my cousin. He showed the classic behaviors, but it was contributed to the fact that they had moved 3 times in 4 years and he had not really had much contact with other children. *I* thought they were wrong, but people don't want to think that there is something wrong with their child unless there is something you can *blame*. And also keep in mind that my uncle (the father) is a neurologist. I mean, denial anyone?

What I just said had nothing to do with vaccinations, but it is something people use to blame things. The rest of the family knew he was autistic (or assumed... I had done a lot of research) before his parents would finally admit it.

so, yeah.

These anti-vaccination people drive me up the wall. People used to be (and some thankfully still are) terrified of these diseases. Because these diseases cause death. I cannot even describe the level of irritation I feel about this stuff. Have you met anyone who has lost someone to cervical cancer? Met someone disabled due to Polio? Seen the aftermath of a mother who had Rubella when she was pregnant? No?

If my kid ends up getting sick because some stupid ass was too ignorant to get their kid vaccinated, I'm going to be out for blood...

Hopefully resonance is right, and they're paying these people so that they can figure out what the hell to do with them.

But YOUR kid won't get sick because they were vaccinated.

these people don't realize what the world they want to live in is really like.

Being familiar with the culture and people being discussed, I think this sentence sums it up pretty well. They are, for the most part, "bubble" people.

But as I said before, its an odd mix of hippy-dippy-wooey younger parents plus very much older, pretty highly educated parents in this town. As in, either you make a three figure salary plus some, or you are on food stamps because you work at the resturaunt where the three figure salary people eat.

There is a LOT going on in the way of holistic, complimentary medical practices in the area. Like you could just go to a naturopathic doctor (ND) your whole life and never see an MD or a DO unless you, like, broke a bone or something.

It's a little like Boulder... 27 square miles surrounded by reality.

My tdoc and I laugh about this A LOT.

Archived