CrazyBoards.org

Really not sure if Ritalin SR is doing a damn thing

I don't think my concentration has improved, I float around distracted - or focussed, and I don't complete tasks any better and get bored just as much. I can be super-focussed for hours, but never on a plan. I can sort-of, sometimes, make lists but don't use them. Looking at them ususally just makes me irritated. I have a good memory- always did. It got me thru school.

I don't question my pdoc's perception of my 'disorganized cognitive style', my day-dreamy bored with school childhood- my imagination was much more interesting- but then I had Bipolar delusional thinking as a kid, too. The test he gave me supported his observations....ok....

So I started 4 mths ago on Ritalin 10 mg, then up to 20 mg SR in Nov. Maybe not long enough for a fair trial?

But I've been hearing about the "rebound" effect of the stim wearing off. End of day anxiety. Maybe like mine? I hate it. I have a big problem with anxiety and worry at the best of times. This just seems to ratchet it up too much, and I wonder if the Ritilan is the culprit.

I'm trying to remember when this specific time-of-day anxiety started being an issue, and maybe it was in Sept when I started Ritalin. I can't say, dammit, cuz I keep forgetting or not wanting to bother tracking my moods. Last few months, that I know.

So I wonder if sometimes ppl with ADD/ADHD just don't have results with these stims....of course, not everyone would....or if the dx is incorrect and I'm taking something I don't need and just getting a side-effect for nothing.

Or if I'm not giving it enough time. It's supposedly being balanced by the Epival and Clonazepam but I have to take Ativan everytime I go out in the eve., which I wasn't doing in the past year.

I want to see about getting off it. I don't see my pdoc till next month, so I can push it and make him call me or wait till I see him.

Ya, I'm rambling on here.........looking for experiences or what-not..........

So I started 4 mths ago on Ritalin 10 mg, then up to 20 mg SR in Nov. Maybe not long enough for a fair trial?

Unlike a lot of the anti-depressants (esp.SSRIs) stimulants are usually fairly fast-acting; it's the side effects that can take a while to taper off.

But I've been hearing about the "rebound" effect of the stim wearing off. End of day anxiety. Maybe like mine? I hate it. I have a big problem with anxiety and worry at the best of times. This just seems to ratchet it up too much, and I wonder if the Ritilan is the culprit.

I don't recall reading about rebound anxiety, but if you find the stimulant calming when it takes effect, that may not be unreasonable. I've read more complaints about "crashing" and ADHD symptoms coming back (this is bad when it's the end of the day, and there's always one more web page to recheck in case there's something new or interesting, or "just one" more chapter in the book, etc.)

If it's worse on 20mg than 10mg, maybe cutting back would be a reasonable compromise between the ADHD symptoms and the evening anxiety. Or, IF you can tolerate it, adding a low dose of a noradrenaline reuptake inhibiting med to spread out the working effects of the stimulant might help (The down side is that too much of a synergistic combination like this can make you really feel miserable)

I'm more likely to be anxious when Ritalin is taking effect or in effect. The "rebound effect" happens at night when it wears off and I usually feel very tired, vague, washed out, unmotivated and depressed.

hmmm. So this is what I've been wondering......Maybe I don't have ADHD and the Ritalin is not doing the job as if I did. Once I get thru the anxiety hrs (2-3 maybe) I feel really quite good at night. Energized.

I definitely need to talk to my pdoc about this. I don't want to take another drug if I don't need it. I don't think it helps with anything.

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

It shouldn't take very long to notice an effect. Although I only tried straight Ritalin once, I noticed the effects almost immediately. Same with Adderall. And similar with Focalin (isomer of Ritalin) except that was slow release so it took a bit longer, maybe an hour. I think if you were having the rebound you'd notice it. Sudden crankiness right around when the stuff might be expected to wear off.

Sounds like, for one reason or another, this stuff is not working for you. My quickest test for effectiveness is that I started to be able to ignore TV's in pizza places and like that. The funny thing is, now I'm off my ADD medication and I can still do it. Another one is that I could ignore things that would make me itchy, like a bit of hair down my collar from a haircut. Or I'd remember more things arguing with my s.o. (now my ex s.o.). (Before, I could only say that just because I couldn't remember the examples, didn't make me wrong, but that's very weak, even when true.)

I'm not familiar with your other meds, and I have a lousy memory, so maybe everything I say above is irrelevant. But I know that stimulants for ADD work quickly.

Archived