CrazyBoards.org

trigger sorta

It happens here in Houston all the time but curiously only in the summer.NO Details we all know what happens.

These are normal not on drugs middle class professional people. Don't have any kids but ihave two dokds

and I could.nt forget them if I was trashed out. Is our society in that big of a rush? I mean come on!!!!!

This happens here at least 4 or 5 times a summer does it happen everywhere else?

Iwould rather be crazy ie checking the car 10 times to make sure kids are ok.

Seriously what is wrong withpeople??????????????????? ;)

It happens every year; it happens everywhere, and it happens in the winter as well as in the summer. It's not just America, I've seen news stories in other countries where people have forgotten their kids. Since you mentioned that you don't have kids, I guess you just don't know that, people are people. We forget. It's not that we're in such a rush, but sometimes people just do not remember things - like the kid in the back of the car. And sometimes people will purposely leave kids/animals in cars because they honestly think that nothing bad will happen to them.

In my case I had one of my kids (I had four) accidentally follow someone else into a different store at a mall (I guess we were wearing similar colored clothes). I didn't notice she wasn't with me for many minutes. It wasn't because I was in a hurry, but because I can't be expected to keep my eyes on all four kids every second of every day 24 hours a day. Anyway, after I noticed she wasn't with me, we did start searching for her, and eventually found her (it took about 20 minutes and a lot of stress). But these things happen.

I also had a time when a friend came to visit with *her* three kids and an extra, and when it came time to take her home, we left one behind - playing in the back yard. It wasn't until we were about halfway to her house that we noticed we were a kid short. That's with two adults counting. Luckily, he was still safe and sound and hadn't even noticed we'd left. But these things happen.

I'm not condoning people forgetting their kids and allowing them to come to harm. I'm not saying that they shouldn't be held responsible. If anything had happened to my kids when I'd taken my eyes off of them, I would have never forgiven myself. What I'm saying is, parents are human. We forget. It happens.

I can see your point especially when you get a whole herd of embut this is usually just one kid and It hasn't happened here

in the seven years I've lived here except in summer. maybe it's the heat and rushing from a/c to a/c or something.

I definately can see it with little ones running around etc but i bet you would.nt forget one in a car. i guess there really is no answer is there you can't really even call them stupid or be angry with them because they have created their own suffering.

I'll betcha it didn't happen that often 20 yrs ago. it would be interesting if that data was available to us.

i think there is a correlation between technology and shifting societal norms.

?

Brian

actually you're right it probably does happen in winter but we don't hear about it because they don't die.

About 30 years ago it was common to put your kids in the car, alone, with the doors shut and only one window cracked about a half an inch when you went in the store. Even more common was if you took your kids in the store and if your kid(s) acted like asses, you took 'em to the car and put 'em the car. Threatened to beat their ass in the parking lot if they left the car, opened the door or messed with anything in the car until mom/dad were done shopping.

Then, while kid(s) are sitting there in the car, in the parking lot, adults and kids would pass by and look at the kids in the car. Then they'd point. Then they'd laugh and make sure that their kids knew not to make the same mistakes the dumbass kids in the cars made.

It was called public shame and public humiliation. It worked on me. I only got sent to the car twice. I only got my ass beat once.

I have no idea why kids didn't drop like flies back then in cars. I know in the summer back then the temps would go into the upper 90's at least. I'm pretty sure we had quite a few 100's as well. My best guess is that cars back then weren't as well insulated? Because back then you could at least hear the emergency vehicles when they were approaching. You can't in the newer vehicles.

Well, I'm in my late 30s. When I was a kid, I could... roll the windows down. Or up.

When it wasn't super-hot or super-cold, my mom usually left me in the car at my request so I could sit and read, once I was older than 7 or 8. I certainly wasn't going to leave with some weirdo. I wanted to sit and read and be left alone, or just look at the interesting patterns the parking lot lights made. She wanted to shop in peace and quiet. Worked out great for both of us.

We lived in high desert, so it was very hot or very cold most of the year. I don't remember anyone dying from overheating in a car.

Mom didn't leave the car running, ever, because of a/ the exhaust risk and b/ the dumb-ass kid risk. If it was really cold or hot, I just went in with her. If I was a whiny snot, there would be consequences, but nothing so pleasant as going out to the car. No... there'd be forced labor later in the day.

Also, no one was restrained in a car seat when I was a kid. (I am NOT speaking against car seats. I'm just saying that I could get out of the car, if I felt hot - but I don't remember doing that, and I'm good at remembering misery and deprivation.) I don't know how many overheating deaths are associated with restraint. For that matter, I don't know how many deaths there are related to actual thermal stress one way or another.

It seems like one of those things that gets a whole lot of attention but isn't that widespread.

I live in a place where it gets very cold in the winter. I can't think of a freezing death of a child in a car in the last 20 years. I might have missed it, but still... very, very cold.

Heh. Yeah, Maddy, I guess that was 30 years ago that this was common to leave your kids in the car. Uh, is that not common now?

I'll just slink off into the neglectful aunt corner now.

You kids get off my lawn.

today if you did that someone will call the cops inside of 30 seconds the parents get arrested cps is called and there is a full investigation and film at 11. I always wanted to go in the store so I could get something and learned not to act up because i only got about three whuppings when i was a kid cause my dad was a trained professional not child abuse but you would remember it quite well.

Messing with the windows to move them up or down wasn't allowed. That's why I got my ass beat the first time.

I never wanted to go anyway. I couldn't understand the rules.

Heh. Yeah, Maddy, I guess that was 30 years ago that this was common to leave your kids in the car. Uh, is that not common now?

I'll just slink off into the neglectful aunt corner now.

You kids get off my lawn.

I know in this state it's illegal. Leave a kid below a certain age (12 or 15?) in a car alone and you get arrested and kids go to DHS.

You can't even leave a kid alone at home (under the age of 12) at home for ANY time in our state without the same consequences.

I'm also in my late 30s and my mom used to leave me in the car all the time.

When I was about 3 or 4, I got in the driver's seat, rolled the window down, stuck my head out and then rolled the window back up (hand crank window). Only problem was, I couldn't reach the handle again. Someone had to go in the store and get my mom to get me "unstuck".

Anyhoo, as for why it happens today....lots of reasons. Ignorance, thinking its "just for a minute" and sometimes, even folks that aren't crazy, temporarily lose their minds and just forget. I'm certainly not saying any of it is OK, but it happens.

Well, the instances Spaceman is referring to involve babies. Possibly toddlers. Not school-age or even preschool kids.

They're in a car seat, can't get out of it, and would not be able to open the door or the window even if they could get out of the car seat. It's not at all comparable to leaving a school-age child in the car by request or as punishment. An 8-year-old is capable of opening the door and getting out if it hits 110 degrees in there, fear of punishment notwithstanding. So yeah, there's a reason you never hear about 8-year-olds dying of overheating in the car. It's usually infants.

Although there may be overly protective state laws on this point, there's nothing inherently wrong with leaving an older kid in the car when the weather is moderate. I don't have kids, but I leave my dog in the car for long stretches in cool weather.

If an infant is asleep and silent in the backseat (out of view) and the parent is absentminded, preoccupied or rushed, then sure, they might forget. It happens in all seasons, but if it happens when it's 50 degrees out, the baby is fine, the parent is embarrassed, and it doesn't make the news.

You hit the nail on ythe head I was talking about babies. I leave my dogs in car in winter too and they are like my babies and I could never forget them and they are sometimes they are asleep when I stop.

There's really no answer to the question really I just can't see how it could happen no matter how busy you get, I mean you put them in the car so how can you forget to get them out?

Archived