CrazyBoards.org

Hypnagogic/ hypnopompic hallucinations

I get these all the time (even though I also hallucinate when I'm wide awake). Mine are totally bizarre, especially while waking up (the hypnopompic hallucinations) like a few days ago one of my model airplanes came alive and then took off and went through the ceiling. Then one time I got up and saw a helicopter in my room. A lot of the time I see different objects in my room while I am getting up (but not while going to bed). When I was in the hospital (I don't know if this counts because I was up for a few minutes before it happened but was still lying in bed) I saw a tiger moving about in my room. How many of you guys get this type of hallucination?

I get these all the time (even though I also hallucinate when I'm wide awake). Mine are totally bizarre, especially while waking up (the hypnopompic hallucinations) like a few days ago one of my model airplanes came alive and then took off and went through the ceiling. Then one time I got up and saw a helicopter in my room. A lot of the time I see different objects in my room while I am getting up (but not while going to bed). When I was in the hospital (I don't know if this counts because I was up for a few minutes before it happened but was still lying in bed) I saw a tiger moving about in my room. How many of you guys get this type of hallucination?

I have had this on and off in my life, particularly when I am adjusting to a new med or am emotionally distraught. With the latter, if I have bad nightmares and wake up, I definitely perceive shapes in the dark, but then I wonder whether I am still dreaming but think I am awake, just before being truly awake.

I would imagine it's more common to have these than the ones in broad daylight, i suppose, although that is my humble opinion! After all, dark shapes will more easily turn into something else, especially in liminal states.

Is it very distressing?

I've had sleep paralysis and hypnagogic hallucinations since I was a kid. I have had paralysis far more than the hallucinations, lol, probably because I can't open my eyes - paralyzed, ya know. When I have hallucinated, it was almost always shadow figures. I've seen people waltzing in my room, a burgler, a 1940s guy in a fedora. Very strange. I've also dreamed repeatedly that I got up when I didn't. Those made for very long, frustrating nights. I figured out long ago that if I woke paralyzed, I needed to physically get up and walk around. Otherwise, I would just repeat the paralysis and maybe hallucinations again and again all night.

I get sleep paralysis and those types of hallucinations also before I get up. I also think I have woken up many times when I haven't. This has been a problem with getting up for certain things, heh. Not alarm clock friendly.

I really hate it. They seem to come and go, I can't seem to find a link between them as to why they come when they do. Very frustrating.

Archived