CrazyBoards.org

Not sure

I am new and not sure where to put this but....

Has anyone ever had a time when they literally think they are someone else?

I mean, I am me but then it seems sometimes I think I am another and living their life? What I am saying is, I may be talking to a friend and things that may had pertained to a different friend (ex) that I went through alot of horrible things with while in the military and all sudden I am that person and I don't even know I do this.

What is wrong with me?

Clp,

I don't know if what you describe is a disorder. I have this thing where sometimes after watching a film I feel like I am the actor or actress in the film, even though I know logically I am not, I me. I have always seen it as a quirk of my brain.

When you 'become' the other person, can you logically tell yourself it is not the case, or do you believe it that you are thbat person?

Well, let me start off by saying that dissociation is a spectrum. On one side, the non-pathological side, are the mild forms of dissociation that most people do in their day to day life without being bothered by it. Some classic examples of this are "getting lost" in a good book, spacing out while doing a task you've done a million times before, daydreaming, etc. Part of this can also include things like getting really involved in a book or, as karuna says, a movie, and even getting so involved that you feel as if you are the character you're watching.

As you start to get more pathological dissociation, you get things like PTSD flashbacks, where you can forget where you are and believe you are back in the trauma, and things like hearing voices, feeling like you're watching yourself do things, not feeling real, feeling "splintered" or split in the head.

And then you get, on the far end of the spectrum, things like DID where you can have multiple personalities in one body.

What you're describing sounds like some kind of dissociation, and if you have any PTSD type symptoms, it could be related to that. What you have to look at to figure out where you are on the spectrum is things like whether the symptom gets in the way, disrupts your life, things like that.

When you mentioned the military, it made me wonder about PTSD and if you might be having something related to a flashback, but nobody here can really say what exactly it is without more info, and the only person who can REALLY tell you would be a psych professional.

ETA: I read your intro and since you do have PTSD, if this symptom is something that's bothering you, I'm suspecting it might be a PTSD thing. FWIW, lots of people with complex PTSD (after long-term trauma) have dissociative things in there and what you're describing sounds almost like a flashback. When you think you're someone else, are you that person having a trauma memory, or just that person getting on with their life (does that make sense?)? Either way, I'm still thinking flashback (flashsideways? 0.o)

Since you mentioned having experienced things WITH that person while IN THE MILITARY, it makes me wonder even more about some sort of mediated flashback. I see from your intro that you have some heavy duty trauma stuff going on. Are you on meds? Are you seeing someone? If you are seeing someone, perhaps they could give you a better idea of what's going on.

I am new and not sure where to put this but....

Has anyone ever had a time when they literally think they are someone else?

I mean, I am me but then it seems sometimes I think I am another and living their life? What I am saying is, I may be talking to a friend and things that may had pertained to a different friend (ex) that I went through alot of horrible things with while in the military and all sudden I am that person and I don't even know I do this.

What is wrong with me?

It does sound a bit like PTSD-related "flashbacks" or possibly even depersonalization. The latter is a bit tricky to work out because it can also be a symptom of a medication reaction or of something more closely related to a seizure disorder. It depends on whether you're just having really vivid memories (unusual but NOT pathological) or completely being lost in your own head, in addition to what is or isn't causing it all to happen.

Under other circumstances, it can even be mildly entertaining (some people pay money to feel this way once in a while) but it's worth spedning time with a therapist or a psychiatrist to have it fully evaluated. Just in case.

The very tramatic thing that happened, was all about a shooting while in iraq and what happened.... I was shot, and so were others....There was another who was there as well and was shot..This was someone that I was very close to.... ....I spent alot of time at her side and helped them through it all, months of rehab and all and then when she was better- to a point (as she lost a leg)....She ended the friendship..

For the most part I am me, but then I am in some circumstances that I am her. I will actually think at times I am here and it was me who lost the leg.....Sick huh.....What all went down that day, I would rather had been her than me.....

I don't think that sounds sick, but it does sound pretty distressing. I'm sticking by my early opinion that you're experiencing something PTSD related. Hope things go well with your new therapist - keep us posted ;)

Archived