CrazyBoards.org

i really don't know what to expect going into this. i'm trying it more for road rage/anger issues. my primary diagnosis is OCD but the anxiety is closely tied up with anger now, and it seems like its past the point of any help with ssri's or benzos alone. its my second go on an anti-convulsant after i decided lamictal wasn't right for me. so will i turn into a zombie right away?

i really don't know what to expect going into this. i'm trying it more for road rage/anger issues. my primary diagnosis is OCD but the anxiety is closely tied up with anger now, and it seems like its past the point of any help with ssri's or benzos alone. its my second go on an anti-convulsant after i decided lamictal wasn't right for me. so will i turn into a zombie right away?

everyone's milage varies from medication to medication. that is one of the many reasons why there are so many of them out there. everyone's body chemistry is different.

here is the Depakote website. You can look up information on it like potential side effects on the PI (Patient Information) Sheet available at the top of the screen.

I was on Depakote for a couple weeks (quit because the SEs were intolerable). I felt very, very calm on it. Like, artificial calm. It kept reminding me of some old Simpsons episode with a scene at some super-tranquil spa where you hear New Age music and a serene voice on the loudspeakers saying, "All is well...all is well...all is well..." and then an abrupt, "TURN TAPE OVER!" Then back to "All is well...all is well..."

So if your main targets are anger and anxiety, maybe Depakote will be the ticket. The calm on Depakote creeped me out, but it might give you just the breathing space you need. Good luck!

yeah, i've felt a bit calmer today. i think it might take awhile to see if its the kind of calm i need. that's a funny analogy though, becuase i was just watching the simpsons episode today where homer gets committed to an insane asylum for wearing a pink shirt. i can't think of which episode yours is from though.

i opted out on lamictal after reading peoples experiences having anxiety on it, and sometimes irritability issues. it also sounded like it was better for depression. somebody mentioned depakote on the thread i started about which med is best for anger/road rage/ anxiety, so i'm giving it a try.

Depakote is a great drug. I take it for racing thoughts and anxiety and anger.

I 500 mg of the ER version. If I take it in the morning, It makes me sleepy all day,

so I take it at like 8 pm that way I sleep through the drowsiness, and the drug

is still in me to chill me out the next day.

Yes depakote IS a very harsh med. Not EVERYBODY

gets horrible side effects. I don't get any at all.

depakote IS a very harsh med

Indeed. It did do a very good job of chilling me out, but it also gave the the shakes, which (being an artist) was unacceptable. YMMV, keep that in mind. There's a thread somewhere about people who love it.

• 1 month later...

When I was first diagnosed in 1997, they tried lithium = allergic reaction. Then they tried valproic acid and I felt a difference in three days. When I told them that I was starting to feel 'normal' again, I was told that it was way too early and it would take at least three months for it to be effective. I told them there was nothing wrong with my memory, and I know what feeling normal is. Nine months later after not having an episode, the psychiatrist asked me if I remembered saying that to him, and I said yes. He told me it got him excited about how effective the medication would be for me. I took it for four years, starting at 1800mg and steadily decreasing, because I would get shaky. They would do blood work, and find I was at toxic level, so they dropped the dose. Finally, the dose became so low I was DC'ed. Three years later, when my episodes started up again, I had to go to a different psychiatrist who had his own plan. He spun me through a year and a half of Risperidol, Geodon, and Seroquel - all of which were disasters for me, and ended with even more severe episodes. I finally had enough and went to a different psychiatrist who actually listened to me, and put me back on valproic acid, but it was not the same, and the episodes continued.

I have moved to a different area of the country and I am seeing a different psychiatrist now. She prescribed Depakote ER in October 2008. I actually think I am more irritable taking it than when I wasn't taking anything, so I am surprised to learn that it is effective for road rage or is supposed to be calming. Everyone is different regarding medication responses.

My psychiatrist has not been out of school for long, but she has requested all my records, reviewed them, and told me that I am a complex case (I could have saved her the time, and just told her that). I still rapid cycle weekly - so I don't know what or where I am at. At least my episodes aren't as strong as they used to be.

Archived