CrazyBoards.org

New York reforms treatment system

I saw this in the paper yesterday and thought it was a really exciting development.

In the past, people in our state with addiction issues and MI were treated for these things separately. He or she would go to the Mental Health clinic for those issues, and then to a different clinic for the addiction problems. It was stupid, and it didn't work for a lot of people. Here's the story:

http://www.pressconnects.com/article/20090...NEWS10/90112009

We need to see people in the whole----and treat all of the illnesses in a coordinated manner. I hope this will lead to better treatment for our residents who are MI and addicted to something.

olga

Wow. NY never implemented this before? Here Is Mass they have this available at all the county mental health clinics that I know of. There are even hospitals and rehabs that specifically treat those on medicaid with a dual diagnosis. I would think the relapse rate would be much lower than just treating one, cuz, ya know, when people are crazy, they drink/drug it away (or try to, anyway.) Then when you get to drinking and drugging constantly, it increases your craziness! It's a nasty cycle and I'm just shocked that NY is just getting around to figuring this might be cost effective, as well as probably lowering the crime and homeless rates. Thanks for posting olga!

Yeah, I'm shocked to that this is new in NY. Learn sumpin new every day. I was in one of these hospitals in May of last year. They really are pretty effective. It was my only psych hospital that treated dual/dx, and the emphasis was more on psych than addiction (but that was probably because that was tailored that way for me.) The hospital I was in had an adjacent Rehab, for the druggies and alkies who needed the whole 28 days of Rehab. I needed a safe place for benzo w/d and then somewhere to reign in teh crazy. I always think PA is behind in everything.

Well, I think it was because our bureaucracies are just so big in this state. The people in the Dept. of Mental Health don't want to cede any of their budget or power to the people operating the addiction clinics and services, and vice-versa. Everyone wants to protect their little piece of turf. (Keep in mind how much bigger our population is, as compared to PA and MA. The bigger the government agency, the more slowly it moves.)

Anyway, whatever the reasoning behind it, I'm glad they're finally getting around to it. Seems like a much smarter way to treat people with MI and addictions.

olga

Archived