CrazyBoards.org

Switch from Xanax xr to Klonopin?

Hello all, Been lurking for awhile now and finally decided to post this question. I have been on Xanax xr for going on 5 months now, at 2mg twice a day for GAD. At first it worked great, I was calm and talkative and it really seemed to provide a huge overall reduction in my anxiety. Lately though I feel that it has not been working nearly as well. When your body gets used to one benzo, would it help any to maybe switch to a different, similar benzo... say like Klonopin?? I guess i will need to discuss this with my doctor at my next appt, but just thought I'd try to get some input here first..

Thank YOu!!

Hello all, Been lurking for awhile now and finally decided to post this question. I have been on Xanax xr for going on 5 months now, at 2mg twice a day for GAD. At first it worked great, I was calm and talkative and it really seemed to provide a huge overall reduction in my anxiety. Lately though I feel that it has not been working nearly as well. When your body gets used to one benzo, would it help any to maybe switch to a different, similar benzo... say like Klonopin?? I guess i will need to discuss this with my doctor at my next appt, but just thought I'd try to get some input here first..

Thank YOu!!

Bminor-

First, it's all going to depend on your history of alcohol/substance abuse in the past when your doc looks at your situation.

I am px'd 1.0mg klonopin per day, and I have been doing this dosage(sometimes less, sometimes a little more) for about 7-8 years. Klonopin has definitely been my drug of choice, as well as that of my dr. Klonopin is longer lasting, and I certainly have no experience with Xanax, nor it's extended release factor. Thus I have no knowledge, though I could look it up, regarding the "half-life" of the XR version. I just know that Klonopin keeps me balanced with one dose through an entire day. Personally, I can see no reason why a doc would not move you from Xanax to Klonopin without hesitation. I think part of the "benzo addictive behavior" is created by the fast action of some of them. Klonopin works in about 1-1 1/2 hour and is TOTALLY effective for up to 16 hours.

I'd prefer to not even be on benzos, but hell, whatever in this world works.....ehh?

Regard,

Deepster

Hi Bminor,

Like Deepster said, things ultimately depend on your doctor and whether there's a history of substance abuse.

My experience (I have GAD) with Xanax and Klonopin is that klonopin does a much better job of keeping my anxiety down due to its relative strength and long half life.

I took Xanax for about 7 years, increasing to 4 mg/day before I switched. At that point, it wasn't covering breakthrough anxiety or my overall anxiety very well.

I cross-tapered from xanax to klonopin with no withdrawal difficulties.

I typically take 2 mg at bedtime and up to 4 mg per day prn. It sure does the trick for me.

Hope this helps!

Peace,

Phoenix

Archived