CrazyBoards.org

Does anyone take both Zyprexa AND Seroquel?

Ok, so I was cold turkeyed off the Seroquel and put on 2.5mg of Zyprexa....It didn't do squat...I was s'possed to wait a week and then up it to 5mg (WOOHOO) Last night I took 5mg and it made me kinda sleepy....so far I'm not noticing much from it and I'm still having the problem of not being able to get my thoughts and words to work right. So I was curious, since I'm willing to give a new med a little while to work so long as it doesn't have crappy side effects, does anyone take both of them, can they be taken together?

It would be nice not to constantly forget what I was saying, forget words,  and have my thoughts be clear and not zipping around like bats...I want my Sair-E-quel

I used to take both seroquel and zyprexa til my insurance started acting up. I loved being able to sleep and remain calm. My agitation was gone on these meds. I'd say go for it if your doc says that it's okay.

Lilie

Whether you can or not is one issue, but another issue is why would you want to?

Essentially zyprexa and seroquel are in  the same class of drugs and do the same thing. 

Both have wide dosage ranges, so it should be possible to just take one or the other at the right dose. 

Obviously zyprexa is stronger and has much worse weight gain issues. 

Just remember the more complex your cocktail, the more problems you are likely to run into. 

Talk to your dr if you havent already.  There may be a better solution.

Whether you can or not is one issue, but another issue is why would you want to?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea, that is a great point.  What sounds fine on paper and is not supposed to have major interactions may not turn out to be quite as successful in the real world.

Trust me on this one.  I was instructed to add 10mgs Zyprexa to my Seroquel 600 mgs in order to control some manic symptoms.  It didn't really produce an additive effect therapeutically.  I kept on with my silly comments, but they came out really slow as well as being stated in a drunken fashion.

I am curious as to why you were taken off Seroquel.  You seem eager to get back on it.  You said something about waiting for Zyprexa to work.  It may take some time to titrate upwards, but there is no AD waiting period.  Since you aren't getting any response and you are tolerating the sedation, it would make more sense to increase the dosage.

Katie ;)

Well to be honest with you, my pdoc is out of town and since I'm dealing with Idaho mental health  and can't talk to the NP until the 25th, I'm just going back on the Seroquel.Screw the Zyprexa until I can talk to someone about my problems with it.  I have the Clonazepam and it's keeping me from chewing the paint of the walls :)

I'm trying to read as much as I can get about the various meds and how they work/interact. Would be nice if the would quit diagnosing me with some new mental illness every few weeks though  ;) which is why they were playing med musical chairs in the first place...thanks for the answers

Hey Kassiane, thanks for being the voice of reason. I'm terribly impulsive and do what ever seems like the best idea at the moment. I don't like feeling more weird and on the edge from something that is supposed to make things better, but I'll stick with it. I really like my pdoc and don't want to lose his trust. Thanks. It's hard to be patient when you're going through a rough time.

Archived