CrazyBoards.org

Going off Pristiq 100mg, any suggestions for replacement?

Ok, I'm done with Pristiq 100mg. I started on Pristiq in September on the advice of my pdoc for depression and anxiety and she started me on the normal dose of 50mg once per day. Then when I gave it a good two months to work, she bumped it up to 100mg daily, which was a new dose that very few people were on. It is now mid January and I don't feel it has helped me at all. I am still feeling unmotivated to do much of anything, don't want to do the things I enjoy and am anxious every morning.

The other drawback to Pristiq is that every time I try to get a re-fill, my pharmacy is out. I use Wal Mart which is a pretty big pharmacy and this last time I tried to get a re-fill they were out once again. However, this time they still don't have it and it's been six days since my last dose. Forget this.

I see my pdoc tomorrow (Thursday) and I am going to tell her I want to change. Since I have been off the Pristiq I was very emotional at first (crying Sunday) and the last few days I've been extremely irritible and angry. Then today (Wednesday) I am feeling depressed and lonely. I know this roller coaster is basically de-toxing off the drug but as crappy as it's been there have also been more "windows" of happiness than at any other time on Pristiq.

My question is this, since Pristiq is Effexor is there anyone who didn't respond to Effexor and moved to another anti depressant that was successful. Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

Hi lurker,

I haven't tried Pristiq or Effexor, but I have been on Wellbutrin, Lexapro, or a combination of the two for several years. Wellbutrin is the most stimulating anti-depressant, and I have found it to be quite helpful as far as increasing my motivation. It can tend to make me a little more prone to irritability and rage, so I like taking a small dose of Lexapro to keep that in check. Lexapro is not available in a generic form yet, but many doctors will prescribe Wellbutrin with any SSRI (Lexapro, Celexa, Zoloft, Prozac, Paxil, etc.), so you might try another option. Wellbutrin is available in generic form (Bupropion/Budeprion).

Good luck!

~CS

Archived