CrazyBoards.org

Aspergers Syndrome

Hello everybody, this is my first post here

My official diagnosis is AS. Not bipolar

but everybody knows AS (especially

the meds) resembles Bi-Polar

500mg of Depakote has been a life saver.

No side effects. I also take Trazodone.

What else would help? (SEE BELOW)

I'm stuck here at my parents house here. It feels

like I have a straight jacket on. It seems like EVERYTHING

they do is very agitating. I'm talking SEVERE SEVERE SEVERE

agitation here...

I don't know what it is. Everything they do,every noise

they make. Just makes me want to scream all day.

They are impossible to interact with. Everything

they say pisses me off, EVERYTHING.

Cant' wait till I leave this dump. It seems like nothing

good happens in my town. I have pretty much no friends left.

And I'm sick of the provincial attitude of the ppl here.

Cant wait till I move to Seattle

GET ME OUTA HERE!!!

This is such a profoundly odd statement (and profoundly at odds with the reality I live in) that I have no idea whether to move this post to the Autism/Asperger's board or leave it on the BP one. Hopefully someone else can figure out what you're getting at, since it's almost time for bed for me...

This is such a profoundly odd statement (and profoundly at odds with the reality I live in) that I have no idea whether to move this post to the Autism/Asperger's board or leave it on the BP one. Hopefully someone else can figure out what you're getting at, since it's almost time for bed for me...

I'm sorry...

I diddn't know there was an Autistic spectrum board, feel free to move it there.

I guess Nalgas went to bed, so I'll move this to the Autism board.

I think you will find that some of our members who are autistic will not agree with you that it resembles Bipolar. But I will let others take up that discussion with you.

It sounds like you need to talk to a competent psychiatrist to find the right combination of meds to deal with your agitation. It might also be a good idea to see a therapist.

good luck

olga

I think you will find that some of our members who are autistic will not agree with you that it resembles Bipolar. But I will let others take up that discussion with you.

It sounds like you need to talk to a competent psychiatrist to find the right combination of meds to deal with your agitation. It might also be a good idea to see a therapist.

good luck

olga

Perhaps I picked my words wrong. I meant that the MEDS

used for AS and BP are similar (depakote for instance).

I meant that it is often mis diagnosed as bipolar, it

happened for me that way.

As for other people, I don't know.

good luck

olga

Perhaps I picked my words wrong. I meant that the MEDS

used for AS and BP are similar (depakote for instance).

I meant that it is often mis diagnosed as bipolar, it

happened for me that way.

As for other people, I don't know.

I have AS as well(in addition to my depression) but neither my therapist nor psychiatrist have ever suggested putting me on additional meds to treat the symptoms at least not yet.

I have AS as well(in addition to my depression) but neither my therapist nor psychiatrist have ever suggested putting me on additional meds to treat the symptoms at least not yet.

I know a guy who has aspergers and epilipsey,

so he takes lamictal. I'm not sure if it's

for the AS or the epilepsy.

Considering that Lamictal is an anticonvulsant and was initially approved for treating epilepsy and that leaving seizures untreated is pretty much a death wish, I would almost guarantee that it's for the epilepsy, just like I take Keppra specifically and only to prevent me from having seizures, and not for anything to do with AS or my mood or anxiety (and it actually doesn't have any effect on those things for me anyway).

My doctor's opinion is mostly that it's nice to be able to have the AS label to stick on things for the sake of telling the insurance company and stuff like that, but as far as actually treating anything to do with it, we pretty much ignore it and just deal with individual symptoms with therapy as they come up. Any meds I do take/have taken have been for other stuff.

As far as I know, you can't medicate autism spectrum disorders. Because autism is a neurobiological condition. The brain is wired differently. However, some of the difficulties that come with autism can be medicated, such as anxiety for example.

I am not medicated for autism but I am for other stuff. I am just as autistic as ever which I think kind of sucks, heh. I do see a psychologist for autism related issues, though.

Thats good you got some professional insight on it.

Ive been diagnosed with "Communication Disorder" since I was 2 and recently found out a more specific diagnosis when I was treated for Schizophrenia when I was 16. I never been on meds to treat Bipolar Disorder, nor has my doctors have ever suspected I was Bipolar. I think its an odd statement that AS and Bipolar are even treated equally with meds. I think that one has to go with each individual case.

I have bad agitation (which ive definitely babbled about on this board), and what I have found most effective is coping mechanisms and therapy instead of meds. Especially since mine is so random on the situation (usually involving lights and sound and other sensory issues). Although I can say that PRN is on my side.

Ive been diagnosed with "Communication Disorder" since I was 2 and recently found out a more specific diagnosis when I was treated for Schizophrenia when I was 16. I never been on meds to treat Bipolar Disorder, nor has my doctors have ever suspected I was Bipolar. I think its an odd statement that AS and Bipolar are even treated equally with meds. I think that one has to go with each individual case.

I have bad agitation (which ive definitely babbled about on this board), and what I have found most effective is coping mechanisms and therapy instead of meds. Especially since mine is so random on the situation (usually involving lights and sound and other sensory issues). Although I can say that PRN is on my side.

Those on the spectrum can easily become oversensitive to enviornmental stimuli,such as loud,sudden noises...I get really agitated whenever I'm doing something on the computer,or watching tv for example & a family member walks by & says something suddenly because my AS sends my startle reflex almost into overdrive.

Those on the spectrum can easily become oversensitive to enviornmental stimuli,such as loud,sudden noises...I get really agitated whenever I'm doing something on the computer,or watching tv for example & a family member walks by & says something suddenly because my AS sends my startle reflex almost into overdrive.

Jeeeeesus. You HIT the nail on the HEAD my friend! Said that very perfectly (better than ive said 'round here). If you ever get time or really really bored around here read my post "AGITATED, sensory issues" on here (I think it got trackbacked to the second page but anyway) thats EXACTLY how I feel. And boy is that statement so very very true.

Elixer-

What you're writing sounds like it has a large admixture of adolescence, or perhaps I should say late adolescence in it. I remember the frustration of being more or less imprisoned in my parents' house very well. And don't take me wrong, I'm not looking down on you. I'm sure if I was again under the direction of two people legally authorized to tell me what to do even at home, I'd find it very trying as well.

You may want to discount what I say, since I've never had an Aspie dx, although two people who know me have remarked that they thought I might have it, or at least some. (And I find some of the stuff in a book I'm reading by Temple Grandin seems familiar) Plus I feel like most of my social skills were acquire with great effort, mostly as an adult.

Anyway, moving away from home can improve a lot of things, but you can also carry a lot of the problem with you, so don't expect miracles. By now you've internalized a lot of that stuff and you'll have to work through it. (Which I think is probably a pretty basic part of the human condition.)

Maybe a lot of the agitation is related to your depression. Lets hope your meds work for that.

I am no med expert but I'm wondering why you weren't started on an SSRI, Prozac in particular I guess since they favor that for young people, I think. Or perhaps the black box warnings have become more obvious since I last checked. I thought depakote was for BP? But again, don't take me too seriously as I'm no expert.

Elixer-

What you're writing sounds like it has a large admixture of adolescence, or perhaps I should say late adolescence in it. I remember the frustration of being more or less imprisoned in my parents' house very well. And don't take me wrong, I'm not looking down on you. I'm sure if I was again under the direction of two people legally authorized to tell me what to do even at home, I'd find it very trying as well.

You may want to discount what I say, since I've never had an Aspie dx, although two people who know me have remarked that they thought I might have it, or at least some. (And I find some of the stuff in a book I'm reading by Temple Grandin seems familiar) Plus I feel like most of my social skills were acquire with great effort, mostly as an adult.

Anyway, moving away from home can improve a lot of things, but you can also carry a lot of the problem with you, so don't expect miracles. By now you've internalized a lot of that stuff and you'll have to work through it. (Which I think is probably a pretty basic part of the human condition.)

Maybe a lot of the agitation is related to your depression. Lets hope your meds work for that.

I am no med expert but I'm wondering why you weren't started on an SSRI, Prozac in particular I guess since they favor that for young people, I think. Or perhaps the black box warnings have become more obvious since I last checked. I thought depakote was for BP? But again, don't take me too seriously as I'm no expert.

sorry if i get tied up in med-speak, i'm in school for psychiatry.

sorry for being bitchy too.

my thing with the family has improved since. risperidone 0.5 has helped me to be a little accepting,

and not so PANICKY all the time, was tired of munchin on klonopin...

depakote is being used off label for anxiety (it works,sorta...)

lithium for depression (low dose)

actually i have AS and OCD (ssri's on and off for that). my psychiatrist

is very good with off label uses

i need to move out of town soon, not sure when...

moving would do wonders i believe, i just feel trapped, i have the money

but can't seem to get it together to go. i might have to move to vancouver

instead which is complicating. heh, things will be alright i guess...;)

Jeeeeesus. You HIT the nail on the HEAD my friend! Said that very perfectly (better than ive said 'round here). If you ever get time or really really bored around here read my post "AGITATED, sensory issues" on here (I think it got trackbacked to the second page but anyway) thats EXACTLY how I feel. And boy is that statement so very very true.

With the agitated feeing I start feeling physically....brittle all over. Like I will break before I bend. So I can't handle anyone touching me while I feel like this.

With the agitated feeing I start feeling physically....brittle all over. Like I will break before I bend. So I can't handle anyone touching me while I feel like this.

Boy do I know the feeling(no pun intended) although for me I seem to be much more sensetive to sudden,loud noises than touch & it is frustrating to say the least but nowhere near as frustrating as the inability to read other people's body language & social cues.

Archived