CrazyBoards.org

olga is pissed

Yep. Allergan, the company that makes Lumigan (a Glaucoma drug) is releasing it this month for cosmetic use to grow longer eyelashes:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/14/health/r...rch/14lash.html

This is wrong on so many levels that I'm not sure where to start. It's a powerful drug with serious side effects. It can CHANGE THE COLOR OF YOUR EYES! Yes, really. It also darkens the skin around your eyes, gives you really ugly bloodshot eyes (people have asked me if I'm stoned because my eyes are so red) and it can also cause muscle aches and stiffness.

And it lowers your interocular pressure. This is fine if it's high: those of us with Glaucoma want it to be reduced. But if your IOP is normal, this drug could lower it to unhealthy levels. When your IOP drops too low, your vision gets blurry because your eyeball doesn't have enough fluid in it for it to retain its proper shape.

jesus. I guess I'm ranting. But please---even if you are vain about your appearance and want longer, thicker eyelashes---use some mascara. Don't kill a flea with a sledgehammer.

(What they're not mentioning in the article is that the longer lash effect doesn't last. I have been on Lumigan for 6 years, and only had the longer lashes for about two years. They're gone now. *shrug*)

Okay, I'll shut up now.

olga

P1010004.jpgBut I'm watching you! Don't use this stuff!! That's an order! heh

I read this. Grrr...

When you have to take eight medications every single day, and have all the entailed regret and sometimes shame and experience the just general pain in the ass of being tied to your med cabinet, the idea of someone piling on a drug like this essentially for the fuck of it makes me sort of pissed. I guess it's their body and their choice and all that, but damn, I wouldn't take on an extra long term med for love or for money (only for mental stability and/or the ability to breathe ;) ).

Speaking of which...it's time for morning meds! >.<

This is wrong on so many levels that I'm not sure where to start. It's a powerful drug with serious side effects. It can CHANGE THE COLOR OF YOUR EYES! Yes, really. It also darkens the skin around your eyes, gives you really ugly bloodshot eyes (people have asked me if I'm stoned because my eyes are so red) and it can also cause muscle aches and stiffness.

And it lowers your interocular pressure. This is fine if it's high: those of us with Glaucoma want it to be reduced. But if your IOP is normal, this drug could lower it to unhealthy levels. When your IOP drops too low, your vision gets blurry because your eyeball doesn't have enough fluid in it for it to retain its proper shape.

The other two boards that I'm a frequent poster on are beauty/cosmetic forums (am a makeup artist and huge makeup geek) and I remember this being posted and thank goodness the general consensus was "WTH??!" and if people were actually a little bit interested they were all still saying "yeah, gonna wait a few years and see how many people turn up blind...maybe after we see more side effects show up, we'll talk"--but most of these ladies are pretty smart (I mean, it is a self-selected group of people who read and write tons of reviews on makeup and skincare, they're not gonna jump right into something that crazy without the facts). Anyway, all of that just to say: I TOTALLY AGREE that this is a peice of crp idea and although it's hard to feel sorry for the people who'll be dumb enough to just do it without thinking-- losing or really hurting your vision isn't something I'd wish on anybody :)

I DO feel bad for radiation/chemo patients whose doctors might not properly warn them of the risks...losing your eyelashes sucks but hurting your vision as well as being that sick?

Gah, freaking greedy drug companies.

;)

When you have to take eight medications every single day, and have all the entailed regret and sometimes shame and experience the just general pain in the ass of being tied to your med cabinet, the idea of someone piling on a drug like this essentially for the fuck of it makes me sort of pissed.

Exactly! Yeah, I already take 10 pills every morning at age 21 (not to mention that when I was without insurance my meds were $600 or so *monthly*) so I'm all set, thanks. I've given up the dream of a med-free life (I'd rather be alive and enjoying it while popping pills) so I can't imagine taking a serious medication just for kicks.

Let's all just hope that they don't start advertising this on TV. :)

m

Way back when women used to put deadly nightshade into their eyes to make the pupils wider (belladonna).

Here's a blog that talks about things women used to do to be beautiful.

They poke fun at "vintage" beauty tips, but it's obvious that women will still do anything to make themselves just a bit more "beautiful" than they think they are, including ingesting toxic drugs to enhance eyelashes.

It's sad, both the lengths some women will go to, and that there're still snake oil salesmen out there willing to sell the products to help women achieve the impossible.

Presumably, the people who get "red, itchy eyes" from this will stop taking it. Or maybe they will only skip it on the days they can't afford to look like a bad case of hay-fever?

I wonder just how effective this concoction is. It sounds like a very watered-down version (no pun intended) of the glaucoma med. I'm surprised that it has any effect on eye lash length, and I'm curious how the researchers went about measuring the subjects' eye lashes. I also wonder if this was a double-blind study to begin with.

P.S. I'm a brunette, and I'm pretty hairy for a woman. At least, this pesky combo means that my eye lashes look pretty damn good. (You can't have everything at the same time, people.)

Edited for clarity.

Artemisia, it's NOT watered down---it's exactly the same formulation that is prescribed for Glaucoma patients.

The difference is that we are told to instill a drop in each eye. (Not on the lid---the drop goes right into the eye). From what I can see in that article, the cosmetic version is painted on the eyelid along the eyelash line.

I'm with you--the eyelashes I have are fine. Who needs more?

Wait until the side effects kick in. There will be a lot of unhappy women.

olga

Oh, but long lashes are soooooooooooo sexy. You can bat them, and flirt with them, and oooohhhh long lashes are just so attractive when accompanied with blood shot eyes w/big black circles on a person stumbling around blurily bumping into things. Mya, I want me some of those! ;)

ETA: The things people will buy utterly amazes me. This is why we need the FDA to have some actual muscle and independence.

In a similar vein, it really disturbs me that my son's opthalmologist's office is now offereing Botox and other cosmetic treatments and they barrage you with ads for it when you're on hold or in the office. I imagine they will offer this eyelash medication as well. It's a huge practice with the opthalmologists, optometrists, opticians, etc., but I guess it bothers me to see a more "legitimate" practice leaning so heavily on cosmetic treatments for income.

Botox has legitimate uses in opthalmology. It's a non-surgical alternative for muscle correction to fix strabismus. I've looked into it.

In a similar vein, it really disturbs me that my son's opthalmologist's office is now offereing Botox and other cosmetic treatments and they barrage you with ads for it when you're on hold or in the office. I imagine they will offer this eyelash medication as well. It's a huge practice with the opthalmologists, optometrists, opticians, etc., but I guess it bothers me to see a more "legitimate" practice leaning so heavily on cosmetic treatments for income.

Botox has legitimate uses in opthalmology. It's a non-surgical alternative for muscle correction to fix strabismus. I've looked into it.

I'm glad to hear that Botox is being used for something other than wrinkles.

Susan, I see an ophthalmologist at the Lions' Eye Center in my area. It's great because it's sponsored by the Lions Club, so it isn't just a large practice of greedy ophthalmologists. I've never seen advertisements for anything in any of the offices, and I've been in the Glaucoma practice, the Retina practice, and the Pediatric practice.

BG, love the picture!

olga

Oh, but long lashes are soooooooooooo sexy. You can bat them, and flirt with them, and oooohhhh long lashes are just so attractive when accompanied with blood shot eyes w/big black circles on a person stumbling around blurily bumping into things. Mya, I want me some of those! ;)

ETA: The things people will buy utterly amazes me. This is why we need the FDA to have some actual muscle and independence.

:)

This reminds me of a video I once saw on youtube.

Also botox is used for MS for when nothing else helps for the spasticity.

I'm also flabbergasted that glaucoma meds are being used for vanity purposes. I'm also being treated for glaucoma.

Personally, I have no problems w/cosmetic procedures. If people want them fine. It's not my thing but I'm not against others having them. I think where I draw the line is using powerful drugs off-label for cosmetic/vanity purposes.

C'mon, if you want long eyelashes you can always just glue 'em on. And you can buy 'em in funky colours/metallics too! You can't grow those. yet.

I like to snarl about stupid vanity procedures with high risk ratios, but it's also misplaced mating drive.

People are willing to risk blindness for long eyelashes. This is not surprising. Sex sells.

I'm appalled by how many people ask for Topamax solely for weight loss out in the real world. (People with no neurologic indications, no binge/self-injury behaviors, etc.) I want to smack people upside the head sometimes. Not for absorbing social messages re: body size and self-worth, but for not hearing the "Topamax is serious shit, man" message.

And, really, how many people on this board have ever thought about someone, "Check out the eyelashes there. Yow. I'm weak in the knees." I realize they're important for social signaling, etc., but, yeah, mascara (or tint) works great. So does a lash curler, in moments of dire insecurity. Never tried the glue-on kind... now I want to.

The more interesting thing is that it's being released for cosmetic reasons at the rx strength. You would think it would require an indication... what, short-eyelash-syndrome? hypoactive eyelash effect? I just thought it was being used off-label, hadn't realized there was an actual, you know, 'oversight' process.

If your eyelashes overgrow, is that Winehouseism? (oh, ick. I do not ever want to have that in any form.)

long lashes are just so attractive when accompanied with blood shot eyes w/big black circles on a person stumbling around blurily bumping into things. Mya, I want me some of those!
1. Wow - this DOES sound like Winehouseism.

2. This is why we stay on meds. 'Cause I'm pretty sure I've been there all by my own natural 'organic' (carbon-based!) self. You too. Although not with the lashes.

;)

And, really, how many people on this board have ever thought about someone, "Check out the eyelashes there. Yow. I'm weak in the knees."

Hehehe, my snuggle buddy has beautiful eyelashes. Not long, but full and dark. Ah, I love looking at his eyes. However, he wears glasses so I never see his eyelashes unless we're snuggling.

I moderate a Glaucoma chat room, and several of the patients have asked how to deal with their excessively long eyelashes. The men hate them, and some of the guys have their wives trim them back with nail scissors. Some of the patients have lashes so long that they keep hitting their glasses.

They also become ingrown and then you risk an infection on the eyelid. Sometimes they grow in nice and long, but bending the wrong way so they poke you in the eye.

I guess I get annoyed about this whole thing because I know of people who are using their Glaucoma meds half as often as they should because they can't afford to pay for them. When I first used Lumigan, the retail cost at the pharmacy was $129. (This was for a bottle that would last 6 weeks). I think it has come down a little, but it's still expensive.

olga

Well. Maybe the demand will bring the price down.

I'm stunned... stunned, I tell you... that they haven't come up with the more expensive Lumigan Plus, which somehow DOESN'T cause your lashes to grow longer. (And would be the only one to be covered by insurance.)

There's always eyelash ablation, but that's pretty radical. Trims sound better.

Archived