CrazyBoards.org

Difference between BP highs and natural highs?

This may be a dumb question, but that's never stopped me before....

How do you know your highs are not normal? I mean, obviously overspending and sleeping less will figure here, along with risk taking and high sex drive... but what about symptoms that don't "fit" the classical pattern?

Here's mine... what do you think?

HIGH sex drive. I mean, I was never bothered about sex before, and still aren't when I feel like crap (well, duh!) but when I feel "better" I want it more and more. Not promiscuous though, happily(hah!) married!

Racing thoughts. Talking too quickly. Losing the thread of where I was going. Forgetting what I wanted to say because my thoughts get hijacked by one another.

Sometimes I do take risks without thinking, like sticking a metal knife in the plugged in toaster to free my trapped toast (blew the electric fuse) or running across roads.

Trouble sleeping...even on Zopiclone I can be waking multiple times in the night for no damn reason, ever hour or so. But not over tired the next day in general.

I will run around the house cleaning and tidying like a lunatic, not stopping. Not drinking or eating in between, most often. Because when I'm depressed, I don't have the get up and go to do much, I run around making up for it, often with music blaring, dancing and singing. Feel pretty high then!

Long term memory patchy and often emotionless - detached from the memory. Don't recall how I felt even if I recall the event.

Easily distracted - If I try to keep up with a couple of jobs at once something will get forgotten, or a phone call will stop it in it's tracks until I remember HOURS later what I was supposed to be doing!

I also go over conversations with people in my head. Not just "should've said this or done that" but going through the whole thing blow by blow, imagining my new responses, what I should have said, what they might have said back, and sometimes into an argument with that person.at which I get pretty worked up. Irritated, anxious, angry. And it wasn't even real!

Going from super introvert (whenever I can get away with it) to chatting to strangers on the bus, in shops, anyone anywhere.

Now all these things I've put down in the past to be just "ME when well" between depressive episodes. But now I'm wondering. What would YOU say the differences are? And how many of you had the same trouble of the symptoms not being directly recognised?

I have had all those symptoms myself to the point of real distress, but as you say, sometimes they can also be a part of the personality. What I notice, however, is that traits and feelings that you would never have when depressed seem very clear and obvious when the depression leaves due to the contrast. This could make you feel as if those feelings are unusual and they may make you nervous as a result.

I have had so many silly anxious moments when I start to feel happy/peaceful/energetic/whistling/ok after depression and I am also thinking 'shit, I must be getting manic, it's just a matter of time'. Like, wow, I spent an hour and a half in the gym four times this week! At the same time, I have 'sane' friends who will do at least that, so I wouldn't consider that to be a symptom, more me being hyper-vigilant.

I can have the arguing with people in the head, racing thoughts, anger, hyper energy and insomnia for weeks to the point of it being v distressing. These to me are symptoms and need treatment.

However, other symptoms which definitely come with some flavours of mania are part of my personality and get exaggerated when I am actually manic. I.e. highly-sexed, highly extraverted, argumentative.

I have met others with bipolar who also have those blurred boundaries of personality and diagnosis. Unsurprising really.

The DSM IV outlines what symptoms need to be present for how long a period of time for a health professional to diagnose hypomania, a clear-cut manic episode and/or depression.

I tend to think, ok, the symptoms which i don't mind too much and which don't affect my life, I am not going to worry about and start analysing as to whether they are part of the diagnosis or not. However, any symptoms that are causing me distress need treating and those are the ones I focus on.

Racing thoughts. Talking too quickly. Losing the thread of where I was going. Forgetting what I wanted to say because my thoughts get hijacked by one another.

I can relate to those things above. I've been diagnosed with BPD and wondered if I really had it. But, reading the things on here makes me think I do have it.

Just a little advice: The sleeping medications doctors prescribe usually don't work in my opinion. Try taking Seroquel and maybe the lowest dose possible of a sleeping med. That should do the trick.

I can relate to those things above. I've been diagnosed with BPD and wondered if I really had it. But, reading the things on here makes me think I do have it.

quick question, guest- guest-guest....when you say BPD do you mean Bipolar Disorder or Borderline Personality Disorder?

I think I need to log all these thoughts, feelings and mood swings and show my new pdoc.

It is quite marked, the difference in me, it's just decribing how it affects my life I find hard. It might be easier to ask my hubby to help, except he has his own crap to deal with and his memory is almost as bad as mine!

I am a little preoccupied with the idea that my dx might be wrong, hence all these questions and posts. I know a dx does not define you, blah blah blah, BUT it controls what meds they will give you and I really don't think I'm getting what might, just might, help me. The other thing is the timings here...for a proper manic episode it's supposed to last a week or more isn't it? But mine rarely get to a week.

Thanks to everyone who posted ;)

Archived