CrazyBoards.org

Is it a good idea to start lithium again?

I have Aspergers Syndrome.

My psychiatrist put me on Depakote ER 500 for racing thoughts.

This had lessened my dependence on klonopin ( I was taking 2mg

4X a day) I was able to cut the nasty klonopin in half (2mg twice a day)

He also game some Trazodone, a nice little pill for sleep.

THE point...He want bloodwork done before I see him again.

I have some overseas Lithosun 300 (Indian lithium). I was

wondering if it would be a good Idea to start it again.nothing

on earth pulls me out of it like lithium. Mixes very good with

depakote too

I want to keep a good relationship with my doctor. Would the test

pick up on the lithium? I know this Idea sounds a little shady,but I

NEEED my lithium again...

_Elixir_

Personally I wouldn't take any drug (especially one bought from someone other than a doctor or pharmacist) without discussing it either with my doctor or my pdoc. It is potentially very dangerous to take lithium without having regular blood tests and titrating up. If you feel that you need the lithium, discuss it with your doctor. In my opinion, you should definitely not be self-prescribing a drug as toxic as lithium - your doc should be doing that and monitoring your body's response to it.

Please take a responsible attitude to your own health and do this through your doctor!

Personally I wouldn't take any drug (especially one bought from someone other than a doctor or pharmacist) without discussing it either with my doctor or my pdoc. It is potentially very dangerous to take lithium without having regular blood tests and titrating up. If you feel that you need the lithium, discuss it with your doctor. In my opinion, you should definitely not be self-prescribing a drug as toxic as lithium - your doc should be doing that and monitoring your body's response to it.

Please take a responsible attitude to your own health and do this through your doctor!

Yeah, I guess this is not the best idea. My appointment is in 3 weeks

I'm hoping I can get one sooner...

I'm aware of lithium toxicity (heart, thyroid, kidney deposits).

Guest scotch credited

call your doc and ask of you can restart before you come in.

see if you can get a "sick" visit or on the cancellation list. see if the doc can work you in.

BTW, it doesn't sound like the things you're treating are all due to AS. have you been diagnosed with anything else?

Aspergers is the only thing thats written down, I think.

Before we found out about AS, yes I was

pretty much diagnosed with everything, except

for schizophrenic/psychotic issues or Bipolar.

I think I could have some Anxiety and Depression.

But who with AS has NOT experienced severe

depression and/or severe anxiety in their lifetime?

-Elixir_

I think I could have some Anxiety and Depression.

But who with AS has NOT experienced severe

depression and/or severe anxiety in their lifetime?

-Elixir_

No one with AS here, that's for sure.

But for the general population of adults with AS? I'm not really sure.

It just looks like you're being medicated for something a little more complex than AS and depression/anxiety. To be honest, I don't know, really, because my experience with diagnosed autism is with a preschooler.

Can anyone else clarify this?

My depression anxiety would most likely be just childhood

conditioning. I was pretty misunderstood...

Ever since I found out about AS, everything started to make sense.

My anxiety and depression has been decreased dramatically ever since.

Over time I have developed good social skills,

a nice group of friends,and always have a girlfriend. Though I still do

have to "pretend to be normal" sometimes.

Are you suggesting I don't have Aspergers? If so I would

have to disagree in every way...

Personally I'm not the type of person to look

at AS as an illness. I think it's more 'a way of being'.

YOUTUBE the video "In my Mind". It describes me very well, especially

when I was that kids age.

I guess I'm just wondering if I'm wrong in thinking that BP and AS are not necessarily treated the same way by neurologists/psychiatrists in the absence of BP symptoms.

In addition to all the points everyone else has raised... Unless you actually live in India & were prescribed the lithium there & obtained it off a reputable pharmacist, I wouldn't suggest taking it.

While a lot of Indian meds are as good as those in the West, when I was living in India there were regular reports in the papers of recalls of meds due to contamination, mixups, deaths etc.

The pharm industry there is on a much bigger scale than in the West, and can certainly be hi-tech and organized, but also can be subject to the common Indian business problems of corruption & corner cutting - adulterations, substitutions, etc.

The only time I take Indian meds is when I'm traveling in India & have an emergency that isn't covered by the contents of my (very extensive) first aid kit!

This post is by no means meant to be detrimental to anyone of Indian origin... I think most people from India recognize these issues.

I'd be throwing the Indian Lithium and going & seeing your doctor. Lithium is dirt cheap as it is without ordering from India.

Agitation and depression happen together in both

AS and BP...So use either Lamictal or Lithium (for either condition)

For racing thoughts (happens in both). One could use

depakote,tegretol,risperidone,lamictal,lithium,...and so on

I wouldn't classify agitation, depression, and racing thoughts as part of AS.

I'd put them as a comorbid psychiatric component.

I understand that psychiatric conditions are often comorbid with AS. But agitation, depression, and racing thoughts, as far as I understand, are not components of AS or ASD. Then again my husband describes something similar with his thought processes, though not necessarily clinically significant in a psychiatric way.

I know I'm splitting hairs here, but these statements just don't jibe with what I've read and my limited personal experience.

I guess I'm just looking for some other replies or some research to support what you're saying. This is something I wonder about for my son.

There are a bunch of things that are commonly comorbid with AS, including things like depression and anxiety, but not so common as to say that they're part of it. The most common ones are generally in the 25-50% range, from what I remember.

I had the same reaction to these posts, which is where my rather confused response to the other thread that ended up getting moved to the ASD board came from. What's being described sounds very like BP (superficially, at least) and very unlike AS, both in terms of symptoms and what's being used to treat it. The diagnostic criteria for BP and AS are extraordinarily different, and the symptoms of the two of them don't have a ton of overlap. The only med that comes to mind that's somewhat frequently used for both is Risperdal. I've never heard of lithium being used for AS, for example; it's almost exclusively a BP med, and occasionally used for stuff like MDD when other meds aren't working.

It's certainly very possible to have AS along with other things, including various mood disorders and anxiety disorders (see: half of the admins of this site), but that does not mean they're directly related. I'm just not sure where all this is coming from, because it's pretty much at odds with everything else I've ever heard/read.

Archived