CrazyBoards.org

sleeping 14 hrs a day. symptom or side effect?

hi.

i have a problem. i sleep from 11pm to 1 pm STRAIGHT without waking up in the middle or something. i'm either bipolar or schizoaffective. no one really knows. but i rather believe the people who say i'm bipolar.

i didnt sleep this much lets say last year or at any point in my life, regardless of how sick or not sick i were. in fact, before this sleep pattern started, i slept like 8hours every day. no matter when i went to bed, i got kicked out of bed 8 hours later (well at some point it was rather 5am to 1pm when i was manic)

my mood is currently the most normal since years (which is still quite anormal. lots of agitation and racing thoughts and some depressive symptoms, but still much better than before) and i', on clozaril 50mg, zyprexa 10mg lithium 750 mg depakote 1200mg.

i sort of have the feeling that this sleep problem (kind of hard to call it that because i'm actually sleeping too well) since either: 1.i went off lamictal and went on lithium or 2. i got introduced to clozaril. but i'm not sure. it could as well be e symptom. a depressive symptom maybe?

what do you think?

cheerz

polar bear

Have you tried getting up and hour earlier after going to bed an hour earlier to edge it back to a normal rhythm?

you mean eventually going to bed at 5 pm to wake up at 7 am? but i would miss all the prime time shows DO NOT WANT ;)

i'm rather looking for the reason, not for a solution. i could force myself to wake up everyday and that would probably work (if i had a job or other activity, which i dont)

frankly i'm thankful i sleep this much because the time i'm awake is not that fun at all but i'm concerned because this is not natural.

i'm basicly looking for a way to wake up automaticly and refreshed after 8 hours of sleep (which was the case at some point in my life). forsed waking up still works.

cheerz

It sounds like an effect of the combination of the drugs or perhaps just one or two. Zyprexa made the difference between me sleeping from 10pm to 8am (10 hours sleep) to me sleeping from 10pm to 11am/12noon (up to 14 hours sleep, and still feeling drowsy until about 2pm). I am also on Lamictal and Lithium, however, assuming this is my baseline therapy it was the addition of Olanzapine which markedly changed my sleeping pattern. I have been on Lithium since my diagnosis three years ago and I don't believe it has affected my sleeping cycle. Lamictal may have slightly reduced the amount of sleep I needed and made it easier for me to wake up earlier but this coincided with a slightly elevated hypomanic period so it was not necessarily the Lamictal.

Even though I work flexible hours my goal is to have a sleep pattern which allows me to be able to start work before 1pm. Because I couldn't achieve this (and a lot of other reasons) on Zyprexa I am now off it. Remember the drug needs to work for you. It isn't unreasonable to want healthy sleep both in terms of length and pattern and if your drug regime isn't providing this you may want to tweak it.

Archived