CrazyBoards.org

The drugs don't work...

I'm on sertraline for anxiety/depression. To cut a long story short, they aren't stopping me feeling as if I'm sliding again. Have taken it off and on for a few years, corresponding with my ups and downs. Last pdoc wanted to look at upping dose from 50mg to 100mg, but my GP won't touch it, and my pdoc appt got cancelled as he moved on and new pdoc appt is end of the month. So I kinda upped it myself, as I had spare meds. Have had some really weird times recently, felt manic. Only since upping the dose have I discovered the whole ADs make BP worse thing. In fact, this is in part what has made me decide that just perhaps the dx is wrong, after all, and that might be partly why the sertraline ain't cutting it.

So I was wondering...how many of you were only treated as BP after having manic highs on ADs? And how do I go about explaining why I think the sertraline isn't working? Considering it's one drug that you don't tend to realise how much good it does until you come off it...

Any experiences?

And how do I go about explaining why I think the sertraline isn't working? Considering it's one drug that you don't tend to realise how much good it does until you come off it...

This is why mood and med journalling is so often recommended. It helps a lot to be able to go back to a written record of "This is what I felt like (symptoms and severity) before starting meds", "This is what I felt like (symptoms and side effects) on X amount of medication Y" Otherwise, you end up second-guessing if you really had certain symptoms, or if they really were so bad, or why didn't I mind/notice certain warning side effects.

For now, if you could find one of the detailed standard tests (Library time! Not all of this is online) and answer as honestly as you can for the last time you were off the med, how you were before increasing it, and how you are now, it might show what you gained from the AD and what you haven't. It may be VERY useful to have also have a close friend/family member do the same test answering with how they recall you acting.

With psych meds "<medication X> isn't working" only means "I'm on medication X" Without knowing what symptoms it alleviates and what new symptoms it causes (if any!) "isn't working" doesn't really convey the information needed to tell whether more/less/other medication is needed and what might do a better job. Some people will claim an AD isn't working because they don't feel "happy" yet, by the second day. Others will tell a doctor they're doing OK even though they're suicidal or having seizure activity. So please be specific - whether or not you do it here, always with your doctors.

Archived