CrazyBoards.org

Dissociation or hallucination?

Ok, here's a simple question. Or maybe not.

If I, for example, have just been in the kitchen and are now sitting in front of my computer, but still feel like I am in the kitchen and expect to see a part of my kitchen when I look up, although I don't see it, and "know" I'm not in there, is this an hallucination, dissociation or something else? If I'm in a room and plan on doing something, or getting something, that is in another room, and only bother to want to do it because I for a brief moment think I'm close to or next to the room I plan on going to, although the room I think about is in a completely part of the house and far away, same question?

What if you are in front of the computer, but feel you are in the kitchen, but think you are going to see Obama walking down Pennsylvania Ave? Whew. ;)

Dissociation is generally a feeling of detachment, disconnectedness or unreality.

Hallucinations are visual, taste, sounds, smells, touches that are not real. Often the person is unable to distinguish the hallucination from reality.

I think your experience fits better with dissociation or perhaps something along the lines of deep concentration on other events or daydreaming. The encouraging sign is being able to recognize you are at the computer, despite the surprise of not being in the kitchen.

Cheers, a.m.

What if you are in front of the computer, but feel you are in the kitchen, but think you are going to see Obama walking down Pennsylvania Ave? Whew. :)

If I did I would offer him some peanutbutter and later we'd exchange autographs. ;)

This happens to me sometimes. I think maybe (this is total conjecture) it's something like the [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris_effect" target="_blank]tetris effect[/link] only with less time needed to make it happen. Actually, I have this game sometimes when I have closed my eyes and I'm lying in bed where I try to convince myself that I'm facing the other wall than the one I'm facing. I usually manage it. I think it's just some human perceptual vagary. Unless it's a new or particularly disturbing thing for you, I wouldn't be too concerned.

P.S. It happens for me more often and in a more disturbing way when I'm flashbacky or otherwise dissociated. So I guess it can happen like that too.

Archived