CrazyBoards.org

Do people stare at you sometimes?

Kablume

I just hate when I have to go in public and I feel as if people are staring at me. Do I look that funny, am I oozing alien juice? Sometimes I feel as if I should tattoo mentally interesting person here. But I do not have that big of a forehead.

Does anyone else fell this way? What do you do about it?

Thanks for looking at the post.

hey kablume,

I get stared at if I'm feeling happy and confident. Probably because I dont have that "stay the hell out of my way" look on my face! (see avatar. dead ringer.)

Or, it could be because I really look insane! I dont know. Sometimes I have delusions that I am semi good looking when I'm happy.  I think I'll go with that one. Do you think you're pretty? have you been told you are?

but most of the time ppl just flat out ignore me almost running me over with their car or shopping cart.

forgot to add "what to do about it"

now? nothing. I don't care anymore.  I used to be self conscious. now I just dont have the time.

guys look at my tits.  Does that count? 

A (male) friend of mine noticed that a woman totally looked me up and down with a bitchy look on her face.  I was actually looking at her and thinking that I liked her skirt, so maybe she noticed me looking at her and so she looked at me?  Who knows.  When I am down and/or anxious aggression I wear a hat so people won't look at me.  But then I think people are looking at the hat.  If I am really freaking out, then people looking at me will cause me to lose it.  Paranoia.

"You lookin' at me?  Are you lookin' at me?  There's no one else in here so you must be lookin' at me..."

Mua ha ha. 

Guest Guest_stipple_*

i get stares of disbelief,pity and hatred from neocons.To annoy the peons even more try skipping which is a lost art.

Where i live people are so engrossed in thier cell phone call that thier eyes are glazed over,they would only stare if some celebrity dingdong was riding a scooter naked.

Get used to being stared at      its fun waking up the people who think they have thier stuff together like robots.     

This is embarrassing. I sing to myself. I talk to myself. Sometimes I slip up and it's out loud without me realizing it. But now that cell phones and iPods have those little one ear headphones and lots of people walk down the street talking and singing to no one, I don't get as many odd looks. I love technology.

Greeny

Greeny - I sing and talk to myself all the time.  Especially when shopping by myself.  ("Wow, those pants are ugly" - "I wonder if that would look ok on my fat ass?")  I don't even notice most of the time.  People do sometimes look at me like I am crazy.  And maybe I am. 

Do you think you're pretty?

If you get far enough away, I am quite handsome.

When I start getting paranoid about people staring at be I usually just get really anxious and uncomfortable.  But you were probably looking for positive coping mechanisms.  Sorry.

Do I think I'm pretty? I don't think I'm ugly. Does that count?

People staring at me, I thought it was a Michigan thing. I guess I do look a little strange at times. I do sing and talk to myself. I try hard as hell not to talk to myself in public. I am starting to answer myself at home. Hell, who else is going to keep me company during the day?

Guest Guest_soulshards_*

talking and singing..yea, that could be it! I have to admit I immediately look at someone when they are talking. and singing even more so.  not because I think they're nuts, I just hear absolutely everything and check it out.  I grew up in a quiet household and live basically alone (except for baby, his every little noise drives me up the wall.)

I love to hear people singing to themselves in public (especially if they're good!).  They always look and sound the way I want to feel: happy and care-free.  It cheers me right up.

I am starting to answer myself at home. Hell, who else is going to keep me company during the day?
I do this too!  I also comment aloud in public, though I try to keep it to a minimum to avoid the stares of strangers.  Nah, I don't have "recluse" etched on my forehead in neon colors!  Haven't yet taken to holding conversations with inanimate objects, though.

If I am really freaking out, then people looking at me will cause me to lose it.  Paranoia.

Ideally I'd own an invisibility suit so I could move about freely without having to worry about being looked at.  I'm always thinking I must look very anxious since that's how I feel (am I making weird faces?  am I blushing?  surely they can see I'm perspiring, etc.).

• 2 weeks later...

hey sweets...YEP YOU BETCHA THEY DO!!! i have tunnel vision when i go out in public but if i look around...yep people stare n i tell myself that they're just tryin' to figure out if it's me or my twin!!! my hubby says well of course they're lookin' cause your a little hottie...but for me i feel all awkward n try not to make eye contact.

i for one think they were never told it's not polite to stare!!!!  ;)

good luck

flutterfly

People stare at me in public too, as I occasionally have to cover my ears because I cannot stand mechanical/screaching/repititious/attention-getting noises.

I look like a 4 year old in the middle of a fire alarm drill.

There I am...a grown 37 year old woman running around looking for the door (or somewhere to hide) to do anythig to get away from the noise.

But, I don't care.  There's nothing I can do about it (right now anyway).

I saw my pdoc last week and told him about this.

The good thing is (if you can see it as being good) in the waiting room,

there was this woman....who had this voice....and she complained...about being only 10 minutes late for an appt. (she was actually 25 mins late) and no one would see her.....she whined...and whined...getting louder...and louder...and whinier (is that even a word?)...and my skin started to crawl...my hands are over my ears...I get up...I'm going to leave when I finally can go into the office.

The pdoc just looks at me with a "wtf" expression on his face.

He would never verbalize this, as he is a very nice, quietish, older, calm, Egyptian man - I think he's cool.

Let them look.  What can ya do? 

seems like everyone is watching someone.........what are they thinking?

doomed i walk with uncontrolled arm jerking and remember not to hit folk with my walking stick if they get too close .Oh and then i swear like a trooper at me for being so dumb as to have left the house in the first place.........i then reply to my observant cussing and sometimes add a clout to my head.Tis all over in 'my time' very quickly but yep! i get stared at alot............and listened to.........but if you do all of this and are pretty i think they would still suspect nutter on the loose......have had aisles in supermarket part like the red sea when i haven't even opened my mouth...........can they see what it is we are doing in our heads?

^

the bus stop...............bummer start to a day but made me laugh..happened to me once.....did you give him an appropriate response???? i said 'it will get worse'....stopped him looking at me!

I was so stunned I said nothing while he walked away. Maybe he thought it was his good deed of the day.

I like your response better!

Really. What are we thinking.

I feel like I'm invisable. I even try to smile and be nice and I get no response. Maybe they think I'm staring at them! Ack.

Strangers who are trying to be helpful bug me.  When I am bad, i need people NOT to talk to me or I will wig.  People have done the whole "Why don't you smile? It can't be that bad" thing and it is mostly men and I doubt their true intentions.  Usually I can fake it pretty well in public but it is tiring.  Like work.  The people who ask where I've been lately or why I've been down or why I'm so quiet really bug me.  I just want to hide in my office to avoid the dang questions, but that brings MORE question.  Ugh.

I gotta say - I think I stare at people.  Sometimes I am zoning out and sometimes I am being judgemental and criticizing them.  Or I am trying to see inside their heads at what they are thinking.  I don't even notice it most of the time.  I think I do it more with women than men, too.  Bad Gwen. 

I get stared at. but i look wierd, and i like it that way because it muddies the waters enough, therefore i can deal with it. they could be staring because I'm pretty, because i look wierd, or because i keep flapping my hands all over the place. and it's okay.

FWIW, an irrational fear of people staring at you behind your back can be a symptom of social anxiety disorder.  If it's bad enough that you avoid crowds and that kind of thing it's worth looking into getting it treated.

People probobly stare at me, but I'm funny looking.

Archived