CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
tryp

Weirdest Trigger

I have a bunch of pretty random triggers, as well as mostly common ones. The three oddest ones are:

1. Wardrobes. Usually, this is okay, but sometimes it's pretty bad. I recently went through a phase where I couldn't open, touch and sometimes even look at my wardrobe (I ended up with piles of clean clothes being left in odd places in my room and only being able to use the same jacket and dress all the time, although I had shirts, underwear and jeans in some drawers). Ones with sliding doors and mirrors are the worst.

2. People walking on the pavement, but the weird thing is that it's a hundred times worse if they're approaching me on the right side, as if they would brush my right arm when they passed. It's pretty bad, one time I seriously considered jumping onto the road to avoid someone and getting run over by a car that passed by at the same time :')

3. Toilets. It makes me laugh thinking about it now, but I've made myself feel ill a few times because I was to terrified to even look at the toilet, let alone use it! My reasons for being freaked out by them are kind of far fetched as well, but they look a little bit like the mouths of sharks. I wish I was kidding, but I have a major fear of sharks and toilets, the shape and the noise when you flush is just too much for my silly little brain to handle haha.

For me, visiting a friend's house, walking through the door was a trigger and took hours and still does.

The phrase 'play a game' was a serious trigger.

Dates, whether it be doctor appointments, things I had to do, when something was coming in the mail, etc, all triggered me, to the point where I didn't have any reminders of what day it was anywhere. Still working on this one, but it's 75% better now.

Sitting at a computer with another adult next to me is a trigger.

Finding out new information, whether it be Google searching for something, or trying to figure out myself is a trigger.

That's a few of them.

My big trigger is perceived anger. If someone is angry with me it brings all the anxiety of my trauma back. I also have difficulty with coping with strong displays of other emotions. They set me off pretty good, it feels like Im responsible.

this is a big one for me, too.

Being unfairly punished

Beer breath

Pain and no way to escape

Anesthesia

Being ignored

Me too! All of the above!

me three!! and people talking about me behind my back, I mean literally- I was at the dentist recently and he and the hygienist were standing behind me, talking about me- like WTF? how rude is that? I am getting a new dentist but I just now realized why. They are rude. oh having anyone treat me like I'm incompetent to make my own decisions

or telling me, when I am angry and have every right to be angry, that I"m "ill" (crazy" and asking me if I'm taking my meds

GRrrrr!

people suck sometimes eh?

These are some of my weirder triggers:

- The original Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory movie, especially Gene Wilder, and the Oompa Loompa's when they sing

- Humiliation on TV/Movies

- Someone trying to hold my hand

- The smell of cooked eggs

I mentioned it in my intro post here. I sometimes get triggered by the f-word. Something so commonplace, it can really interfere with your life if that's all it takes to trigger. But you can't fight the tide, you know? Words are acceptable that didn't used to be. Newspapers used to have to use dashes for "damn" or "hell," and write it as "d--" or "h--." When Clark Gable said "Frankly, Scarlett, I don't give a damn," in Gone With the Wind, it was considered scandalous and shocking. Even "goodbye" was once profanity. It's a contraction of "God be with ye," and polite society deemed it blasphemous and irreverent to blur something with God in it. Nowadays a person wouldn't even think of "goodbye" as a profanity, and "damn" and "hell" hardly are either. And the f-word is catching up with them. If I want to shield myself from it entirely, I'd have to never leave the house, read a newspaper, watch cable stations, or use the internet.

Well, I do what I can. I use a profanity filter into which I have programmed every variation of the f-word that I can think of (such as spelling it with a v instead of a u, reversing the u and the c, and other tricks) so I don't have to look at it. Of course, I do have to look at the word when I'm adding it to the filter, but after that, all I see is a row of ****, anywhere on the internet.

I don't even know why the f-word has such an evil reputation. As far as profanities go, it's actually pretty mild. It doesn't misuse God's name like g-d- does, it doesn't degrade women the way the word for female dog does, and it isn't a racial slur. All it is, is crude. The sh- word is also no more than crude, not blasphemous or degrading, and it doesn't bother me at all (even though I am kind of too polite and stuffy to type it out). For that matter, f- variations like "frig," "freak," "feck," or "fark" don't bother me. Social conditioning maybe? I grew up seeing adults really react to that word. In the circles I ran with, even if g-d- and sh- have been flying all over the place, if someone says f- just once, they'll get, "Hey, watch your language!" But that wouldn't make it trigger me. The only thing I can figure out is, I must associate it with abuse somehow. The kind of man who would use six or seven f-words in a single sentence, and he's not even mad, that's just the way he talks, he's the same kind of man who would abuse me.

Adding some, after looking at previous answers:

Beer breath. Ohhhh, yeah. Always a prelude to abuse, in my experience.

Double standards. Whether it's "men are allowed to do that, but women aren't," or it's a celebrity getting a slap on the wrist for something Joe Blow on the street would have done serious time for, I hate it.

Oh, here's one--I went off like a bottle rocket on my husband during an argument, when he uttered the words, "Let me tell you something, girl." I just DESPISE being addressed as "girl." He had forgotten that we'd had that discussion already, when I was disgusted with my mother for referring to me as a girl. I'm closer to 50 than I am to 40, and I wondered exactly how old I have to be before she'll consider me a full grown woman. He sympathized then, saw my point of view, and even bolstered me by pointing out that he hasn't been called a boy since he actually was one. But that slipped his mind, until he said that to me, and I blew up in his face, "Don't. Call. Me. Girl. EVER!" Poor thing. He'll never do it again, I expect.

Being in public toilets when other people are there. And being in crowded buses and trains, stuff like that! :o

I hate being in public toilets with other people. If they are on their cell phones, I make sure to flush a few times to make sure the person on the other end knows this call is being made from a toilet.

If I'm putting on a pair of pants and my toe or something gets caught on the material. Or I put my foot in the wrong leg for a second. I freak out. I usually end up making a mistake because I'm so worried about making a mistake.

Pan flute, native american music, or any music with a flute in it.

Today I smelled sunscreen and I was gone. I just LOVE how even after 5 years living with PTSD I still discover NEW and EXCITING triggers every time I turn around! [/sarcasm]

Of course, I was already halfway gone to start with, so admittedly I was probably going to go off at just about anything. Sunscreen is not usually a problem for me.

Edited by tryp

A particular type of juice cup.

However, I was quickly able to self-soothe and today I plan to refill them with my favourite, fresh orange juice so they don't trigger me anymore.

people who tell me i'm "fine" or seem "fine".

when my kid is freaking out and things get out of hand for her, i get way way out of hand.

criticism.

people who use iphones in movie theatres (don't even want to get into how close i come to confrontations with strangers).

when the door buzzer goes off.

being cold or knowing i might be cold, including walking through shadows.

anyone even slightly drunk.

Gaining weight and wearing clothes that highlight my excess weight.

Getting "caught" looking at myself in the mirror. Even though I have been in a relationship for nearly 12 years, if my he sees me doing my hair or makeup, I am doomed. I have ventured out looking pretty scary just because I could not manage to get enough privacy to primp appropriately.

1. The wheezing sound of my own breath (the exhale - the wheeze is from scar tissue in lungs).
  2. Being tickled.
  3. Being cold.
  4. Someone talking on a walkie-talkie.
  5. Being startled by the horn of a fire engine behind me. (I'm ok, if I'm on the street and it's somewhere "in front" of me - meaning anywhere in the front hemisphere of sensory perception).

I'm kinda still figuring out my triggers. Here are some...

Big Red Gum.

The book "Bread and Jam for Frances".

Injustice towards children. Being treated in a way that feels like injustice. I once nearly beat up a junkie who was stealing my bike. (he gave it back. weird.)

Violence. Cartoon violence.

the name Wozniak. This is weird because it's not about the Apple Wozniak, but the name shows up there- and it should be a peripheral trigger at best.

Heated discussions of Israeli politics.

When Jews don't have any idea I could possibly have a Jewish ethnic background.

All major Jewish holidays- and Christmas too. And Easter.

The light and air of summer. The stickiness of late summer.

Packing.

September 1st.

Girls being cocky and even a little mean or aloof.

Returning home. I can't walk in my house first. I'm always afraid it will be burned down or things will be gone, taken by someone I was supposed to trust.

Parents dissing their co-parents.

Marriage counselors.

Therapists.... oy. Doctors....oy.

Seeing an ambulance.

The remote thought of someone losing a child or a child losing a parent send me reeling.

The town I grew up in. It's next door to the one I live in.

Dolls.

Clothes. buying clothes. ok, buying anything I need for myself.

so, it is a catalog of triggers... some are weirder than others.

I don't have ptsd, but I do have anxiety. I'm getting much better at handling my triggers and recognizing what they are. Can relatet o some of what's said here. I can't handle arguments at home/in public very well. I've learned that turning my iPod on and putting up the volume works GREAT for that. I also can't handle arguments on television; I've pretty much cut television out of my day to day entirely, and I have to say I feel 1000000 times better as a result. I think that's it for the weirdest ones.

Oh, yes. Any intense discussion of politics-someone else said it- is a trigger too.

Edited by writeandknow

Being tickled. It makes me want to scream and hit and hit and hit until that "WTF?! We're just playing, everybody likes getting tickled" look gets wiped off their face. Just thinking about it is getting me super defensive.