CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Timothykirkpatrick

How old to work in an elderly care home ?

i think it depends more on your qualifications, not your age.

I was 18 when i first worked in aged care.

Call some nursing homes in your area and ask.

What is the age that you have to be to work in an elderly care home part time.

Timothy-

I totally agree with Berry. I would imagine that 16 years would be the minimum age, and even then you will have needed to have completed a Certified Nursing Assistant program to be "qualified". The requirements vary from state to state, but I wouldn't think it outside the realm of possibility that you could complete such a program while still in high school. I don't think that would apply in the state where I live, but like I said getting on the nursing registry can have have wide variance. Here, I know that I worked with many CNAs who were adding a 5th year to their high school attendance in order to graduate with an associates degree in nursing. Thus, they were qualified as CNAs during their 5th year. Many states will require that you attend a community college to earn a CNA certificate. If you are at least 16, could you check with your HS guidance counselor. You could also contact community colleges. I was forutunate to have attended class at the facility where I first worked. I was "hired" by the facility, then they provided me with on-site training by a trainer qualified RN. I don't know if these type programs are available any longer, nor if all states even sanction them.

Best of luck to you in your search.