CrazyBoards.org

Xanex XR?

I've been on Xanex in the past and it helped me greatly (especially during panic attacks). My doctor has had me on Klonopin. He wants me to take .5 mg twice a day, but I have weaned myself off of it (occasionally use it now and then) but I think it makes me sick.

Anyway, I had to go in today for fever/sore throat. Noticed a pamplet on Xanex XR. Does anyone know if it really works?

Does it work for what?

I don't have much to compare it to - just immediate release Xanax. I don't get anxiety attacks, my pdoc just thinks a lot of my underlying issues are anxiety-related.

All I can tell you is this: it doesn't really work for 24 hours. I think the average is around 17. Which is fine for most people if they take it in the morning. My pdoc has me taking it at night so it will be in my system all night (insomnia). I can definitely feel it wearing off mid-afternoon/early evening. I take a very small dose (.25 mg) of immediate release at that point. I've been doing this or a couple of months and it seems to be working pretty good.

Sunshine

Unfortunately, I can't tell you whether it would work for you or not.  Based on what I have read on the internet, it doesn't seem like it is very well regarded.  A common complaint is that it doesn't really last as long as it is supposed to.  I have been on Xanax XR for 2 years and I am currently satisfied with it.  In the beginning, I thought it was rather weak.  Eventually, the dose was increased and I felt that it was effective at that point.  I had not ever been on regular Xanax.  I had been on Ativan and Klonopin.

I think that you need to work with your doctor.  It concerns me that you tapered yourself off Klonopin.  You may not have had any problems, but it is really best to consult with your pdoc.  It sounds like you liked Xanax better than Klonopin.  I can definitely understand how your pdoc might be more comfortable with you taking Klonopin.  I think that you should try to explain how Xanax worked better, and that you were wondering if Xanax XR would be an option.

Katie

Xanax XR suppose to last 24 hrs. but if you look at the charts put out by Pfizer you'll notice that it ramps up to full strength 4-10 hours after you take it. It's a downhill slide from hour 10-24 where it bottoms out to nothing. Seems like rebound time to me (around hour 14-16?). That would put you bouncing off the walls just before bedtime.

Whatever-

I found Xanax-XR to be a much better formulation than the immediate release. With the immediate release I would be yo-yo-ing every 4 hours.  The XR gave me a more stable ride. I was generally able to take a single 1mg tab and feel pretty comfortable for +12 hours.  If I was really stressed and panicky I would take another after 12 hours and be pretty relaxed. I think the XR ought to be the standard dosing.

Also, if someone is pretty stressed out, particularly if having panick attacks, I think you should take it on a set schedule rather than being miserable and waitint to get nailed with an attack.

A.M.

I agree with AirMarshall about it being pretty smooth. It's probably not a good choice for occasional use for anxiety attacks as it doesn't kick in as fast. I take 1 mg before bed, so it doesn't start wearing off until the next afternoon. That's when I take a small dose of immediate release. I really don't feel any rebound (unless I forget the afternoon dose). Like AM, I can also take an extra small immediate release dose if I'm having a bad day (rarely).

i need round-the-clock coverage and thought xanax xr would be just the thing. it worked great but only for 12 hours, and it was fast slide down.

i much prefer valium 3x day. nice and smooth and consistent.

I'm taking Xanax XR 2mg in the morning. It worked great the first two days, but I notice I'm a nervous wreck more and more. I was thinking about going up to 3mg XR and taking 1mg IR as needed.

I can't really say how it works for panic attacks because I avoid all situations where they're possible. I do know that I've started breaking out of my shell more. I also take Ativan 1-2mg PRN.

No idea how long it lasts... when I first stared I'd take 2mg am and fall asleep at four.

--

Spencer

I'm taking Xanax XR 2mg in the morning. It worked great the first two days, but I notice I'm a nervous wreck more and more. I was thinking about going up to 3mg XR and taking 1mg IR as needed.

I can't really say how it works for panic attacks because I avoid all situations where they're possible. I do know that I've started breaking out of my shell more. I also take Ativan 1-2mg PRN.

No idea how long it lasts... when I first stared I'd take 2mg am and fall asleep at four.

--

Spencer

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I started out on 3 mgs of Xanax XR after having been on 4 mg of Ativan a day.  It was much better than the Ativan in terms of smoothness.  I had been getting withdrawal about an hour before the Ativan dose.  However, I struggled with it and I went up to 4 mgs.  I read on some boards about people taking it twice a day so I asked my pdoc about that and she said that I could try it.  Since then it has worked very well.  When I have school, I take 1mg IR in order to get relief first.

Katie ;)

Hello there. I'm new. Anyway, I just got prescribed xanax xr 0.5 mg, mostly to counteract the anxiety that wellbutrin might cause me. I am starting the combo tomorrow. Anyway, do any of you feel panicky and need to take something else to supplement the xanax? i'm so afraid that i will have a panic attack while on the xanax and not be able to take anything for the attack.

under any other circumstance, i would take an ativan or klonopin as needed, but if i am on something continuously, i can't take another benzo. any thoughts? experiences?

Hello there. I'm new. Anyway, I just got prescribed xanax xr 0.5 mg, mostly to counteract the anxiety that wellbutrin might cause me. I am starting the combo tomorrow. Anyway, do any of you feel panicky and need to take something else to supplement the xanax? i'm so afraid that i will have a panic attack while on the xanax and not be able to take anything for the attack.

under any other circumstance, i would take an ativan or klonopin as needed, but if i am on something continuously, i can't take another benzo. any thoughts? experiences?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You shouldn't have to worry about feeling panicky on Xanax. If you do, it probably means that your anxiety is very high and the Xanax is pooping out and you're having rebound anxiety (withdrawals). Talk to your doc about taking a benzo PRN if this occurs. He/she may switch you to a longer activating benzo like Klonopin or Valium for chronic anxiety.

Anxiety comes in many different flavors. That's why there are so many different drugs to treat it.

Don't worry and good luck.

Oh, by the way........

I saw that you were dx'd w/ chronic depression. Don't be too fond of the benzos as they can trigger depression if taken often and at higher doses (plus they're addicting).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks. I've had depression and anxiety for a long time, and seemed I had beaten it this past year, but lots of stuff happened in my life and things are out of control, which is why i'm back on the meds. anyways, the depression just came back with a wave of anxiety. I just have never taken a benzo once a day XR. This is very new to me. Normally, I would take an ativan or klonopin as needed, which was not every day.

This whole XR thing is what interests me. I'd love to hear other people's experiences with this XR, or with the wellbutrin XL/xanax XR combo.

I'm still scared about having a panic attack with the XR - should I just ask my pdoc for 0.5mg regular xanax in case of a breakthrough attack? Beause I can't take any of the other benzos if i have already taken xanax, correct?

I was just coming here to ask about xanax XR.  I have been taking reg. xanax .25, 2 times a day.  My PDOC just switched it to .5 mgs xanax XR at night,..then .25 reg. xanax PRN for break thru anxiety. 

I was wondering how close to bedtime will I (should I) take the .5 XR.  I know the reg. xanax "kicks in" in about 15-20 mins,  but obviously the XR will take longer.  My Dr. said to take it "at bedtime" to help me sleep better,..then it should work thru the night and during the day. 

Does anyone know how long it takes to "kick in?" I am going to go ck the link from aboove,..maybe it will answer that ques. 

Archived