CrazyBoards.org

When I'm studying I get thoughts in my head 'I have to make it to the end of this passage/finish the assignment before my mother speaks to me/the tv programme ends/the next tv advert comes on or else my dog will die/my mother will die/I will die/my sisters will die'. It is wrecking all my fun studying. I havent touched my doctorate in about 6 weeks.

When Im at work I get thoughts like 'I have to get these numbers entered into the computer/ these files put in their place before anyone speaks in the office/the song on the radio ends or something awful will happen'. These thoughts again are driving me mad and depressing the life out of me. It's got worse since they lowered my Prozac. Could it be OCD? My mother suffered severe OCD when I was a child.

blackbird x

Yes that is definitely a symptom of OCD.

The fact that your mother had OCD indicates that you had a 'possibility' of becoming Obsessive-Compulsive yourself because of 1. The genetic factor and 2. From observing your mother.

Edited by Leo

May I ask - my Pdoc says I have tendencies. I can see that this to me sound absolutely OCD - what are tendencies then?

May I ask - my Pdoc says I have tendencies. I can see that this to me sound absolutely OCD - what are tendencies then?

Your doctor may just not have a clear picture to give you the diagnosis and is waiting to see/hear more from you. Tendencies means you have some thoughts/behaviors that look like OCD but possibly not full-blown OCD.

For example, my OCD doesn't really interfere with my life or functioning, so technically I don't have OCD exactly. Something like that.

My symptoms are not nearly as serious as this!

I am wastin peoples time?

Sleep stuff kicking in. - edited to make sense.

Edited by Karin

I had my diagnosis of OCD confirmed yesterday and I am being referred to a t-doc (whom I don't have, just a p-doc) for CBT. Looks like they can't medicate this one with SSRIs for fear of sending me bananas-manic again.

blackbird x

Blackbird - I'm so glad you're going to be getting a tdoc. I think that will be a really positive thing for you, all around.

Karin - No, you're not wasting people's time. There are people here with all different kinds and amounts of crazy. Plus, we don't always have perfect insight as to the severity of our symptoms.

I think I have as many or as few strange things which others might not see but make sense! Maybe I am just imagining things.

I think you are very brave and i take off my hat to you.

Why cant you drink meds? If I may ask you and not sound rude? It is better to get treatment but I dont tell pdoc about things cause he will think I am making it up.

But my habits and things are just things an it is not serious really. so.

How do they treat you?

Edited by Karin

Hi Karin

If your OCD type problems are enough to cause you misery then they are definitely affecting your life and should be treated as OCD.

I was diagnosed by my GP and not my PDoc yet. I am scared to tell my p-doc because I think he'll think I'm making it all up. After all, I seem to have suffered every mental health drama under the sun bar dissociation.

I would love to take Prozac 60mg for my OCD but it might make me manic again and I don't want that because mania is scary and embarrassing. Hypomania I can live with but full on mania no sirree.

If you want to get things off your chest Karin please feel free to if it's not too intrusive. Heck, I'm not here to judge anyone and it might help you feel better. But only if you want to.

blackbird x

Thank you so much for your kindnress. I dont think my quirks really are major and pdoc says I have tendencies and I am eccentric and am just not like other people.

I can still live around these things. I think. I hope.

What causes this?

I live alone, so it is easier for me to have these issues.

I have lived in a commune in an old house for two years, so I am the only one, apart from my boyfriend, who has ever used that bathroom, yet I still can not bath in that bathroom. I can only shower, and I positively HATE standing on the bare bath... I need a slatted wooden shower stand on the floor.

I also can not stand the idea of having any floral fabric touch my skin. Just the idea of those things growing on me, is enough to drive me into orbit.

But I don't know what caused all these things or how we get to not be like this?