CrazyBoards.org

SEVERE panic attack

i [was] on 80mg of geodon, 50 mg of lamictal, and 25-50 mg of trazodone

i stoped the trazodone from 36.5 mg. Just stoped, because it seemed to give me anxiety attacks.

This morning i took my geodon, and a couple of hours later i went crazy. MAJOR panic attack- i don't usually even have panic attacks. I ended up in the emergency room [of corse by the time they got to me 2 hours later i was calm again]

They gave me xanx[sp?] to calm me down and help me sleep. The doc told me to completely stop all my meds except that.

I'm worried about that, but whatever the doc says i guess.

Sigh, what a day.

You're right to listen to the doctor, but I wonder if there's any way to contact the doc who prescribed the drugs.  I'd be a little worried about stopping an AC cold turkey.  Try to call your regular doctor's after hours service.  Good luck.

sorry let me clear that up: The shrink who perscribed the drugs is the one who we called and who told me to quit cold turkey. The er doc had just said to keep taking it all untill i talked to the shrink.

Shrink says to just take the xanax

but i mean, 50 mg isn't alot for the lamitcal, is it? It shouldn't be too dangerous?

Just because of a panic attack they told you to stop all drugs???  That seems weird.  Did you up and stop the trazadone right before the big panic attack?  Maybe that was keeping them at bay?  Did you tell the doc you just stopped taking it?  I have a BIG problem with people just not taking their meds without talking to a doc.  Sure, you might know what the doc is going to say and all, but let the poor guy(or gal) say it!  50 isn't a ton of lamictal, but considering how they usually wean you off those things....

I had HUGE problems when I had to be taken off effexor, neurontin and lithium in 3 days.  HUGE withdrawl, shaking, nausea, that head zap thing, couldn't see - thought I was going to die.  And the reason they told me to go pretty much cold turkey is because my hr was dangerously low so it was necessary.  Just be prepared to go even crazier when you stop all meds at once. 

Good luck....

see, the other problem is that my doc is out of town, and it's possible, but very difficult, to get in touch with him through the nurse.

So when the trazodone started giving me minor anxiety attacks, i went ahead and stopped it, but i couldn't get intouch with the doc to ask him about it, i didn't figure going down from 35.4 mg would be a big deal. I might have been wrong.

The other problem is my mom- she's very very touchy about the meds, and she kind of told the doc that she wanted me to stop. The doc said that that was probably a good idea.

My mom's very upset about what happend today. Heak, so am I.

It was a severe severe severe panic attack, i really thought i was going to die or something. My dad was doing 70 to the hospital because i was screaming and crying and jumpingup and down. I'd be really scared if i was suposed to keep taking the meds.

I hope this all works out.

Well, if you are a minor, then there is probably nothing you can do about it.  But does your mom understand meds and that you can't just "go off" and that it may have to be long term?  Is she a doctor or is she just biased?  'Cause the bias sucks, but it happens.  And the doc that told you to go off was at the ER or your regular pdoc? 

CALL YOUR PDOC.  Even if he is on vacation or whatever, you are his patient and he needs to know if you are having bad side effects.  And you should NOT stop taking a med unless the doc knows and approves it.  Don't you watch TV?  THere is a whole stereotype about Bipoles that don't take meds.  Badbadbadbadbadbadbad.  Do you want to be a stereotype?  I don't think so! 

i see your point. I hate sterotypes.

My mom, unfortunately, is very biased. She dosn't seem to believe that I should be on meds, and as far as she's concerned none of them help- it was a battle with her for me to get on the meds in the first place, and now that this has happend she feels her point has been strengthened. My dad's the same way or worse.

Now we did call the Pdoc, before we went to the er actually but he didn't get back to us untill after i was back home and sleeping. My mom talked to him, at first the nurse was saying to stay on the meds, but according to my mom, my mom said that she'd rather i didn't, and the nurse talked to the doctor, and the doctor said ok and to go ahead and stop them all.

I have an appointment with him on monday morning [which is when he gets back] asap.

I'm really seeing the error of my ways with stoping the trazodone. But hey, I've had my  diagnoses for a month or less, I'm just getting use to the idea of a doc keeping tabs on my every move, and to all the meds, so I think i have licence to make one med mistake eh? Trust me, I know better next time.

It depends what the doc says on monday, but I think, to make my parents happy, we're going to try going with just threpy for my mostly-depressed bipolar for awihle and see how that does. If nothing else, I can show my parents that I do need some sort of meds, and we just have to go trial and error.

Sigh.

I'm really seeing the error of my ways with stoping the trazodone. But hey, I've had my  diagnoses for a month or less, I'm just getting use to the idea of a doc keeping tabs on my every move, and to all the meds, so I think i have licence to make one med mistake eh? Trust me, I know better next time.

LOL!  Oh, all right, since you put it that way. ;)  

It depends what the doc says on monday, but I think, to make my parents happy, we're going to try going with just threpy for my mostly-depressed bipolar for awihle and see how that does. If nothing else, I can show my parents that I do need some sort of meds, and we just have to go trial and error.

I would definitely see what the doctor has to say about that - don't make any promises to your folks before going in.  Like Kassi said, there are some very good reasons not to let bipolar cycles go on for long.  I was "mostly depressed bipolar" for years, so much that nobody recognized it WAS bipolar.  And I think it did longterm damage to my capabilities for being stable, especially at low med doses.  Tell Mom a low dose trial now is better than high doses and lots more trials later!  Maybe it would help if you all went in together?  I don't like the idea of the instructions getting filtered through your mom via telephone.  It would be best if you could all get the same info from the horse's mouth. 

Unfortunately it IS a lot of trial and error, at any stage.  It's hard enough learning to accept that ourselves, without having to explain it to family.  I feel for you. 

Kindling eh? I'll have to look into that and let my parents know.

They're coming with me on monday, so we'll see what happens. Right now I'm kind of scared to go back on any meds, but i see what you mean.

My parents feel they have a very strong point now. My dad says it looks like psycho drugs arn't for me- this is the second severe reaction I've had. The first was a couple of years ago to zoloft- that one was scary too. That gave me what I now know whas a severe psychotic manic episoid [that's mostly what got me my diagnoises from my new doctor]. I blacked out, but I do remember halucinating and such. But what I can get them to understand is that that zoloft reaction was because they thought i was depressive when I'm actually bipolar. Now I'm on the right track, I just had a minor derailing.

Anyone think that if the doc wants to put me on more meds [which I'm pretty sure he will] i can get him to perscribe me more xanax [or something along those lines] to have just in case? Say this happens again, I'll have something I can take right away. That might make my parents a little easier. I'll have to ask.

I hope the doc can convince them that I need the meds.

It sounds to me like your Parents don't understand what exactly bipolar IS.

If your pdoc is really helpful to you, you may ask him to educate all of you so that you have a better understanding and prognosis for the future. You my dear are actually Extremely lucky that you have been diagnosed this early in your life!

Learn everything you can about it, even if your parents refuse to. You will be your own best friend/advocate to handling your future health needs. Many people suffer into their 30's and 40's before getting the CORRECT help.

PS most Docs are very good about giving xanax to be used prn for a sudden panic attack. Just don't abuse it and you shouldn't have a problem getting it.

You sound very mature and reasonable. Respect your parents but LISTEN to the pdoc. Keep in mind if he feels your parents are uncooperative and won't allow him to treat you the way he feels you need, he may give up pushing what he really thinks could be in your best interest, you don't want that to happen. Ask him to be completely honest with YOU even though parents are not as receptive.

Keep learning about your illness, about med choices, and about yourself.

I am sure you will do well.

CC~

I was first diagnosed as bipolar in October 2002, at age 22.  (I have shown signs since at least 1995.)  On my parents advice, I eschewed treatment until this summer.  Even when my dad saw me during a full-blown manic episode (most of which I'm just now starting to remember) he and my mother asserted it was caffine and chocolate causing the problems, to the point my dad actually told a doctor not to listen to me because I was in denial about the "true reason."  (I drink 24 oz of Coke a day and have about the equivalent of 2 Chips Ahoys if that a day.)  They also said I'd never be able to get long term care insurance...but why does that matter if I have a disease that may kill me before I need it?  It was VERY HARD for me to go against their wishes and get treatment, but it was one of the best choices I ever made.  Kindling, as kassiane and gretl explained, does happen.  I hit a crisis in May and if I weren't on meds now, at this moment I'd be right back there.  If I had gotten treatment back in 2002, I may never have had to go there at all.

Even if you're a minor you still have some rights to doctor/patient confidentiality, which vary state-to-state in the US.  I did a google search and found this for TX

"Health professionals should respect confidentiality when treating competent minors

1. Allow minors to verbally consent to medical care

2. Confidentiality of minors may be ethically breached when parents need to be informed of treatment or serious illness."

Which you can see is really vague.

Everything else I read seemed to say the Hippocratic Oath is the prime guide and if informing the minor's parents ultimately harms the patient's care then it would be in the best interest of the doctor to have a relationship primarily with the patient.  They also seemed to underscore the harm that can be done to the doctor patient relationship when confidentiality is breached without permission.

Basically my advice would be to ask to speak to the doctor alone at the beginning of the appointment (if your mom usually accompanies you) and explain to him/her that you want to share confidentially (use this word) some concerns.  Express interest in getting your illness under control and your willingness to try therapies (including meds) that he/she recommends to that end.  Let him know that you want help in controlling your illness and in convincing your parents of the importance of your mental health.

Let us know how it goes!!

You my dear are actually Extremely lucky that you have been diagnosed this early in your life!

Second that.  I wish I had been diagnosed 10 years ago when I first started exhibiting symptoms.  I don't know about anyone else, but my bipolarness has gotten worse as I age.  The last series of cycles that led to me finally going to a doctor and getting treatment was pretty scary.  There were a couple of days in mixed-state hell that I wasn't sure I was going to make it. 

And therapy alone ain't gonna cut it.  Let your parents experience what your feeling for a week and I bet they would be begging for some drugs.

Archived