CrazyBoards.org

Hi,

I have just started taking a very low dose of Lamictal. (5mg) The low dose is necessary because of my terrible side effect profile. Even at this very low dose taken in the pm, I am  feeling sort of dopey and stupid with a mild headache. So I added (on my own) 2.5 mgs of Adderall. It has relieved the drowsiness and I feel more focused now.

My question is this: The new PDoc would like to increase the dose (very slowly) to 200mgs......(at this rate it could take YEARS....) so will the drowsiness be a continual problem and if so is it OK to take the Adderall as well?

I was orginally on Adderall and Xanax for depression and fatigue.The combo was only  mildly successful .......didn't help with the depression and rages.... It did help with focus and motivation. I stopped this combo because it seemed to have lost its effectiveness.

darkdreams

The best thing to do in your situation is to talk this over with your doc. In my case and just starting low dose Lamictal, the doc said it was ok to use both meds, however, I do not take them at the same time. Adderall in the early morning if I need it for demanding work and projects and Lamictal before bed. I may experiment with taking Lamictal late afternoon when the Adderall wears down. I have taken Xanax in the past and although I use it for sleep now and then, it sometimes has a hangover and depressive after effect. Xanax is a good drug if taken correctly and not abused, but for me, I think Ativan is probably a better choice in my case. Klonopin did absolutely nothing for me as I almost felt immune to its effect.

Hi,

I have just started taking a very low dose of Lamictal. (5mg) The low dose is necessary because of my terrible side effect profile. Even at this very low dose taken in the pm, I am

Guest Llamanator

The drowsiness should go away eventually. It takes time, and sometimes reaching the optimal dose (for you). The "sweet spot."

The Adderall is fine if and only if *you have or seek pdoc's approval.*

Out of curiosity, do you mean 5mg or 50mg?

If you mean 5, then what do your pills look like?

Mimi

*who's looking at 25mg Lamictal tablets, and wondering how something so tiny could be split more than once with any accuracy. they're itty-bitty*

Um.

Adding meds on your own is stupid.

Adding controlled substances on your own is especially stupid.

And...as poster child for "med sensitive"--I'm trying to figure out how you even FELT 5mgs. Really. I get peds titration on most things, and even *I* handled grown up doses of Lamictal.

Kassiane

by the way, ladies and gentlemen, some side effects occur more often with placebo than the active drug!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ummmmmmmmm....you are quite right...it is rather stupid of me to add meds without the permission of the Pdoc. However,as I belong to a HMO and the NP has pretty much given me  "permission" to experiment a bit ....AND my having read a lot about various meds ect....I don't think I wil be in any emminent danger.

As far as feeling the 5 mg.....Im sure that I probably wasn't feeling much of anything from that tiny amount of Lamictal    ....more likely just fatigued and /or dragging from the lack of Adderall..... Who knows??? I really can't tell anymore...

darkdreams

The best thing to do in your situation is to talk this over with your doc. In my case and just starting low dose Lamictal, the doc said it was ok to use both meds, however, I do not take them at the same time. Adderall in the early morning if I need it for demanding work and projects and Lamictal before bed. I may experiment with taking Lamictal late afternoon when the Adderall wears down. I have taken Xanax in the past and although I use it for sleep now and then, it sometimes has a hangover and depressive after effect. Xanax is a good drug if taken correctly and not abused, but for me, I think Ativan is probably a better choice in my case. Klonopin did absolutely nothing for me as I almost felt immune to its effect.

Hi mrwin&kidd,

Thanks so much for your advice. It was exactly what I was going to do. Are you currently taking both Adderall and Lamictal ( at different times) ? If so, what dose do you take for Lamictal .....and for the Adderall? I  have never been a great fan of Xanax...found it to encourage depression....I'm hoping the Lamictal will eliminate the need for it..

darkdreams

Hi,

I have just started taking a very low dose of Lamictal. (5mg) The low dose is necessary because of my terrible side effect profile. Even at this very low dose taken in the pm, I am  feeling sort of dopey and stupid with a mild headache. So I added (on my own) 2.5 mgs of Adderall. It has relieved the drowsiness and I feel more focused now.

My question is this: The new PDoc would like to increase the dose (very slowly) to 200mgs......(at this rate it could take YEARS....) so will the drowsiness be a continual problem and if so is it OK to take the Adderall as well?

I was orginally on Adderall and Xanax for depression and fatigue.The combo was only  mildly successful .......didn't help with the depression and rages.... It did help with focus and motivation. I stopped this combo because it seemed to have lost its effectiveness.

darkdreams

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The drowsiness should go away eventually. It takes time, and sometimes reaching the optimal dose (for you). The "sweet spot."

The Adderall is fine if and only if *you have or seek pdoc's approval.*

Out of curiosity, do you mean 5mg or 50mg?

If you mean 5, then what do your pills look like?

Mimi

*who's looking at 25mg Lamictal tablets, and wondering how something so tiny could be split more than once with any accuracy. they're itty-bitty*

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Mimi,

You heard it right.....LOL  5 mgs...NOT 50 mgs.....The tabs are REALLY small....white and rectangular...and get this.........they are SCORED....so you can cut the 5 mg in half...  ;)

Thanks for the info. on the drowsiness.... I hate the feeling of slowing down...probably one of the reasons I have such a low tolerance for anything sedating.

What does it feel like to reach that "sweet spot"? Just curious....

darkdreams

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What does it feel like to reach that "sweet spot"? Just curious....

darkdreams

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For what it's worth and you may already know all this and I may be misinterpreting your question but in my lamictal experience, "hitting the sweet spot" happens progressively, often mapped out by "therapeutic doses." And the feeling is progressive too. I personally began at 25mg and felt it right away, and it just got better until pdoc thought that's enough, let's hold steady at 100mg. So there you go: sweet spot. Basically, it just means stop when things are good

Guest Llamanator

The "sweet spot (or spots)" is the point where the med works best for you, not at any set dose.

It usually involves side-effects lessening or disappearing altogether, along with improvement in the drug's basic theraputic effect.

Even at this very low dose taken in the pm, I am  feeling sort of dopey and stupid with a mild headache.

Just wanted to throw in my experience.  I started at 25mg in the evening and I felt dopey and stupid for a couple of weeks.  After bumping up to 50mg, I haven't felt nearly as stupid or dopey.  At least not any more than before I started taking Lamictal.  ;) Getting ready to go to 100mg and feeling less crazy every day.

Even at this very low dose taken in the pm, I am  feeling sort of dopey and stupid with a mild headache.

Just wanted to throw in my experience.  I started at 25mg in the evening and I felt dopey and stupid for a couple of weeks.  After bumping up to 50mg, I haven't felt nearly as stupid or dopey.  At least not any more than before I started taking Lamictal.  ;) Getting ready to go to 100mg and feeling less crazy every day.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Synthetic,

Thanks for your imput. I actually switched to taking the Lamictal in the AM cuz of the problem with insomnia. I'm OK now....and expecting to go a much higher dose very soon.

Interesting that the higher dose is less sedating for you. Hope it is the same for me

darkdreams

hi, I tried lamictal one time before and it worked great, and with the added benefit that it helped my  "nerve" pain in my arms.  It was wonderful until i developed  big ole nasty looking zits on my face-ugh.

I tried topamax-it made me so stupid i could not talk and couldn't remebemr anything.  So now I'm back t trying lamictal again. the first night i took 12.5 and  then I just went right up to 25mg.  This is my 3rd day on 25 mg so if  there is going to be any problems, they should start rearing their ugly head..  (for me it takes about 3 days on a med to get a  decent enough blood level to  see if i can take it)

So so far so good. I am going to see the dermatologist if  i get the acne this time. 

One thing I am noticing and I wondered if anyone else  has this -breast pain?  I know some drugs mess with your prolaction and thus will cause u to have tender breasts or stimulate the  breast milk to  form.  (i'm wording that badly) anyone else?

RG

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi RockyGirl,

Thanks for your imput. The acne thing.........I keep reading about it.....Ugh..........I already have problems with acne...I take Septra DS and it barely controls it. I think your idea about seeing a dermatologist is a good one.....could be helpful..

I have heard many good and bad things about Lamictal...I haven't heard anything about breast pain though......I suppose that anything is possible........Hope you are able to sort it  out.

darkdreams

Archived